PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt won't start

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2017, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default pt won't start

Wife didn't close the hatch completely and the battery drained,..charged the battery, everything works, windows,wipers, horn, lights, radio..but the car will not start in park or neutral. If you try to start it with the radio and wipers on..they cut off completely .. ..turn the key no noise at all..just like the battery is not connected..2004 gt turbo..any ideas where to look ?? some relay perhaps ?? thanks pj
Old 09 Jul 2017, 09:44 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: pt won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltas69 View Post
Wife didn't close the hatch completely and the battery drained,..charged the battery, everything works, windows,wipers, horn, lights, radio..but the car will not start in park or neutral. If you try to start it with the radio and wipers on..they cut off completely .. ..turn the key no noise at all..just like the battery is not connected..2004 gt turbo..any ideas where to look ?? some relay perhaps ?? thanks pj

Either the battery isn't charged enough still or the battery terminals aren't seated properly. Double check your work.
CREWZIN likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Jul 2017, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Had pretty much identical thing happen to me this week while I was working on my car left a door open overnight and dome light drained the battery completely.
In the end to get ignition I had to trickle charge the battery at 3amps then she fired up right away. I wouldn't rapid charge it that's harder on the battery.
Old 09 Jul 2017, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Should mention... on my charger when I first charged it on rapid cycle battery read full but it was not. Only after I left it on trickle charge for about 12 hours did the battery finally come back to life.
Old 09 Jul 2017, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Battery checks fully charged at Orielly's..but the guy there asked me if the key had a security fob..yes...he said that needs to be reset after the battery drained..it went into "no start" mode...the red security dot is lit on the dash...so...anyone know the procedure for resetting the key ?? The guy said it involves turning the key off and on for a few minute intervals much like pulling codes...but for ten minutes or so each time the key is in the on position...thanks for the replies...off to you tube to see if i can find the procedure..and help here is appreciated also !!!
Old 09 Jul 2017, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

update:...cel came on after leaving the key in the
ON" position for a few seconds..but my OBD2 scanner won't light up as if it's not getting any power not showing a thing..even after pressing the buttons.....weird stuff here...
Old 09 Jul 2017, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have a voltmeter? If so post what the battery voltage is with the ignition off and also with the ignition on. You need to test the battery under a load to see if it is working properly. Turn on the headlights and see what the battery voltage.

Have you cleaned the battery cable at both ends and the battery posts?

Has the Pt Cruiser been worked on lately and if so what repairs was done?
Old 09 Jul 2017, 04:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like the battery is not charged enough. Don't know the size of your charger or how long it was charged. If you are using a 2 amp charger, you will need at least 24 hours.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 09 Jul 2017, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Charged with my 6 amp charger took a couple hours..but just to be sure ..took it around the corner to Oreilly's..and they charged it for about ten minutes..so it's fully charged and checks good, battery is just barely one year old.....Just now noticed when I hit the lock button on the key fob..the red security light continues to blink instead of cutting off after a few blinks...unlock the doors...and the light goes out...
Old 09 Jul 2017, 06:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltas69 View Post
Battery checks fully charged at Orielly's..but the guy there asked me if the key had a security fob..yes...he said that needs to be reset after the battery drained..it went into "no start" mode...the red security dot is lit on the dash...so...anyone know the procedure for resetting the key ?? The guy said it involves turning the key off and on for a few minute intervals much like pulling codes...but for ten minutes or so each time the key is in the on position...thanks for the replies...off to you tube to see if i can find the procedure..and help here is appreciated also !!!
You could try, this I've seen it many times while searching no start problems.

Quote:
To get it to reset you need to place a known good key in the ignition and leave it in the on position for 1 hour, connect a battery charger while doing this so the battery does not go dead.
BTW 'good known key' means the key you've been using. It just needs to be in and turned on to reset the lockout.

Last edited by Azrak; 09 Jul 2017 at 06:11 pm.