Advertisements
Deep turning noise

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2017, 01:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Deep turning noise

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me.

I just bought an 04 turbo and when I make hard right hand turns or even moderate right hand turns at say 40 mph I hear a deep repetitive "wuh wuh wuh wuh" until I straighten out the wheels. Now the car is front wheel drive but the noise sounds clearly from the back passenger side from what I can tell.

I took that wheel off and looked around and noticed that the brake line for the drum brake is very close to the rear tire. But it is fastened and routed through a cutout in the frame so I can't move it. I'm not convinced that is the culprit either. It didn't look worn.

When I brake hard I don't hear the noise. But if I go around a corner fast I hear it or if I'm slowing up while going around a corner I hear it.

The rear end has more "bounce" to the shocks. So much that I can bounce it up and down with one arm. Any suggestions?
Old 14 Jul 2017, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Deep turning noise

Sounds like rear wheel bearing slack letting a rear drum rub a brake shoe when going around corners. But that's just a guess based solely on what you have said.

If me, I'd pull the rear wheels and drums and check for grinding and/or slack in the rear wheel bearings. And while there, I'd check out the bell crank in the center in the rear axle. This is supposed to help hold the rear axle from moving side to side. Also, it would be great time to inspect the rear shocks and rear breaks and make sure the shoe linings and all the hardware is in good shape.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer and Certified Industrial Hygienist. I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Sep 2017 at 02:00 pm.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Deep turning noise

I checked out the bell crank and it's solid. No play there. Also checked both wheel bearings. Both are solid from all angles. I noticed that the spare tire was very loose to the point that I could shake it and it made a familiar sound (or maybe I'm just hearing things). I tightened the retaining nut and took it for a test drive. The sound went away even on crazy hard right turns. The rear shocks do seem to be pretty useless in the back. Maybe that combined with the loose spare made the noise? I don't know. I'll let you know if it comes back.