PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Easy fix on SOOO BIG's rear shelf panel.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2017, 06:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Easy fix on SOOO BIG's rear shelf panel.

Much to do about nuttin'!

A little experimenting proved a no go for removing the grey carpet finish on SOOO Big's rear shelf panel. I was grasping at straws last week considering removing all the grey carpet finish and having a black plastic rear shelf panel. Experimenting on a throwaway rear shelf panel this week proved this an impossibility. Thanks for all the suggestions and inputs on this definitively misguided adventure. I had to get the rear shelf panel back in place in SOOO BIG because I find it too useful to be sitting in my closet.

The only problem with the rear shelf panel was residual glue underneath a lifting instruction sheet.

My final solution was replacing the deteriorated glued on instruction sheet which was the primary problem with the panel. I'd put the deteriorated one on years ago but it was lifting.

I knew the underside glue couldn't be removed.

So I went the tried and true fix and just replaced the lifting deteriorated glued on instruction sheet which was the primary problem with the panel.

This was my second attempt this week at a replacement instruction sheet. One of the problems with the initial fix I'd done similar to this on this panel a few years ago was using Borden's Spray Adhesive. It just wasn't aggressive enough and the original replacement lifted, exposing the yucky gluey area underneath.

I found an old image of the instruction sheet in my documents, oversized it enough to cover the yucky gluey area underneath the removed deteriorated instruction sheet. Earlier this week I printed it on heavy paper stock, cut it to the necessary oversize and sprayed it with a clear acrylic protection coat. While it was drying I headed down to Ace Hardware to find some stronger glue. I found a tube of 3M Super Strength Adhesive. (just $2.00) A very aggressive adhesive with a ten minute working time. Because it's very aggressive it has caustic fumes that attacked the freshly sprayed clear acrylic finish. I discovered this on the first re-do attempt and the results were, the fumes from the adhesive bubbled the freshly dried clear acrylic.

On the second attempt I waited till the 3M Super Strength adhesive had dried and then masked and sprayed the new oversized heavy paper instructions with a few coats of clear gloss acrylic. This should be a more permanent and close to, as original, re-do.

Attached is a photo of this 3M super adhesive, photos of the oversized instructions in place and a download of the shelf panel placement instructions, if you need them to print out a replacement. The original replacement instruction sheet wasn't at all discolored from age or sun. The initial clear acrylic coat had protected it. It had just lifted because the adhesive wasn't aggressive enough.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_1799 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1800 (640x480).jpg

IMG_1801 (640x480).jpg

enlarged shelf panel info 001 (640x465).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 15 Jul 2017 at 08:45 pm.