2008 TPMS Questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vengence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2017, 08:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2008 TPMS Questions

Hey again all,

Have a 2008 PT Cruiser LX with the TPM BS in the rims/tires. Multiple rims on it are bent and am looking to buy new rims from either Discount Tire Direct or Tire Rack. Whichever I think is good price and good quality.....kind of.

Anyways, Both offer TPMS options for Rims purchase however, they look like little rubber TPMS but the site says TPMS Rebuild Kit for $5 per tire.

Stock Rims on the car now are I believe 15' Steel Rims and 6 Width. 15x6. Tires on it are 195/65 R15

Now, I have no idea what that is or how it works. But, my question (S) are as follows....

1. Can the TPMS currently on the car be transferred over to the new rims which will be Aluminum 15 X6 5-100?

2. Is there a way to shut off the whole system without the car chiming in ear everytime I drive? (It's not on now but, just want to know if you can)

3. Will the rebuild kit that comes with the Rims possibly Damage anything?

Thank You in advance for any comments and help.

EDIT**

4. If I bought another set of 15x6 Steel Rims, would they transfer over without any messing around?

Last edited by Vengence; 15 Jul 2017 at 08:52 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 TPMS Questions

The tire pressure sensors usually follow a standard design. There is a screw that fastens the actual sensor to the special valve stem. The rebuild kits usually just include the special valve stem parts. You or the tire shop will have to fasten the old sensors to the new stems. It's a fairly common practice since some custom rims won't accept the OEM stems to begin with.

You cannot easily disable TPMS. Until 2010, some handheld PCM tuners could do this for some cars. But a 2010 federal law prohibited the disabling of safety devices to including the TPMS. Nowadays, you would need to have a custom tuning service like Syked PCM tuning to do this for you by "hacking" your PCM. Some other services and individuals have the equipment to do this too. There is also a DIY work around where you build a small pressure chamber out of plumbing pipe with a schrader valve on the end. You put the sensors in the chamber, air it up to around 32 psi, and then put it inside the car such as in the rear cubbie on a PT.

Just last month, I installed new (almost new) tires on my Dodge Charger Daytona. And I used this as an opportunity to install new TPMS sensors since the old ones didn't work when I bought the car. If you are buying new rims, you might want to consider getting new sensors as well. Eventually the batteries dies in the old sensors and they have to be replaced anyway. If you call a dealership parts department and give them your VIN number, they can give you the OEM part number for your sensors. It's important to do this because they are not always the same even within a single year model.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 16 Jul 2017 at 09:28 am.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 09:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the reply man, I think I am just going to go with OEM Steel Rims seeing as they are stronger and at this moment, not going for looks more than I am durability. Plus, here in Buffalo the roads have a lot of pot holes which I do my best to avoid.

As for TPM's, I had 1 that was bad upon purchase of the PT and all were replaced shortly after so I dont have to worry about batteries atm. With just getting the same rims that came with the car, I don;t think I will need a kit which makes things easier.

Far as "hacking" the system to disable it, I dont feel comfortable doing that so I'll just leave it.

Thanks for the help.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 11:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

i would try a technical approach such as this. not sure if anyone has a way to do this posted for a PT?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ng-system.html