Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By sanatanadharma
  • 3 Post By CONNELLY698
  • 5 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2017, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help installing compass/temp map light 05 PT

I have an 05 Touring that I am adding an overhead Compass temperature map light pod. I have found that it has the plugs at the base of each a pillar and from a wrecked PT Cruiser I have pulled the wiring harness and the Pod itself I have plugged it in and the compass and map lights work as they should coming on with the door and working with the switch themselves. However the temperature reads 140 degrees Fahrenheit. A Google search shows this to me open short. I have installed the sensor in front of the radiator support as the wiring was there all I had to do was plug it in but I'm still showing the 140 error. I went to my local parts store and bought a new sensor thinking the old one may be defective but it has made no difference all of my fuses seem to be good and I have even tried a second pod and I am still getting the same error has anyone else added one of these to their car and do you know what I'm missing that's keeping the temperature portion of this accessory from working any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help installing compass/temp map light 05 PT

You should be able to find the complete wiring diagram in the service manual. Here's a link to the one I uploaded. The 2004 diagram should be very similar to the 2005 except the battery sensor was deleted on the 2005 PT's and the 2005 has an electric rear hatch switch:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing
Old 18 Jul 2017, 06:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I did do as you are doing

Factory overhead console builds required three correct wiring harnesses
You salvaged one and apparently have one
It may be that your car was built without the required wiring dash harness

Look at your pre-existing red C208 connector at the left A-pillar
It should have a black wire in pin #3 and a black/light green wire at pin #4

These wires run to the big white connector (C105) behind/below the dash fuse block
This is where the dash and front wiring harnesses connect
There the wires are black/ light green at pin #17 and violet/light green at pin #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONNELLY698 View Post
...I am adding an overhead Compass temperature map light pod...from a wrecked PT Cruiser I have pulled the wiring harness and the Pod itself I have plugged it in and the compass and map lights work as they should...I have installed the sensor in front of the radiator support as the wiring was there...do you know what I'm missing that's keeping the temperature portion of this accessory from working...
Old 22 Jul 2017, 01:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK update! I got it working. I have learned that the wiring harness that goes from the console, dome light and visors down the A-pillars and plugs into the red connectors on the dash are different for an '05. Apparently Chrysler decided to move the trigger wire from the end socket to the second socket in '05. So if you use a harness from a '01-04 in an '05 everything will work but the temp. Get a harness and a console from an '05 and BANG everything works. As an added bonus in case anyone was wondering I used a console from a sunroof car and used the wiring harness from the sunroof car all from the '05. It all plugged up fine. I did not want to see the switch so I used the housing from the '04 and swapped the "guts" it worked perfect I just left the plug for the switch loose and now have a nice clean install. If anyone else has a question while doing this mod feel free to PM me.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 05:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You should be able to find the complete wiring diagram in the service manual. Here's a link to the one I uploaded. The 2004 diagram should be very similar to the 2005 except the battery sensor was deleted on the 2005 PT's and the 2005 has an electric rear hatch switch:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing
That's interesting... I have an '05 GT that was built late '04... has the battery sensor AND the hatch release.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 04:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Congratulations on the successful upgrade to your cruiser. Taking that first step with a knife is a leap of faith.

Curiously, the overhead console (2002-2003?) that I sourced from eBay, was designed differently. It was never designed to have the moon-roof switch or the switch location delete panel.
The overhead console molding is also two-storied
I added the chrome strip and the extra push-button switch toggles the display to full brightness, independent of the lighting rheostat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overhead console chrome.jpg (91.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Headliner cutout1.jpg (86.6 KB, 19 views)