Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone clean or change their EGR valve?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2017, 06:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Anyone clean or change their EGR valve?

Hey guys,

I've had an on and off P0401 code (insufficient EGR flow) for the year or so, but it doesn't appear to have affected my engine performance or MPG. Because I have an '01 I am not required to pass an emissions test anymore in Massachusetts, and so I haven't really thought of taking care of the code when it has popped up. However, as of late it has come on and stayed for the last few weeks and so I hope to just take care of it once and for all. I'm hoping to first try taking it out to clean it before buying and installing a new one.

Has anyone here cleaned their's and had good results? And is it as simple to change as it looks? Is there anything that can go wrong if not super careful? I know I'm only asking people with '01's and 02's as Chrysler dropped the EGR valve in later years.

Thanks in advance guys.
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 92k
NRS brakes and energy suspension bushings
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 23 Jul 2017, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone clean or change their EGR valve?

This code most often indicates either a malfunctioning EGR valve or the EGR passage is blocked. What happens is that when the PCM opens the EGR valve, a vacuum drop is expected in the intake manifold. But if the MAP sensor doesn't pick up a big enough vacuum drop, it sets this code.

Before replacing the EGR valve, I'd try removing it, cleaning out the passage with a bore brush and spray cleaner. I'd likely use carb cleaner cause I usually already have that. I'd also clean the internals of the EGR valve best I could with the carb cleaner and a wire brush. Then I'd reinstall and clear the code with my code reader. That's and important step because this code doesn't clear quickly on its own. Then I'd drive the car and see if the code returns. If it did return, I'd replace the EGR valve. I'd likely just a get one at a salvage year because it's unusual for these to fail on PT's. And a salvage will likely last the remaining life of the car. But new is cool too.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 07:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

You can usually fix that code by changing the EGR transducer(NOT THE VALVE). It's cheap, easy, and available locally. I think I paid $25 at Auto zone. It's in the back directly below the throttle body. Three vacuum lines, an electrical connector, all just held in place with a rubber grommet. This fixed it for me.

I wouldn't even bother removing or cleaning the valve unless cleaning out a little soot makes you feel better. I find removing the valve to be a waste of time and it's a pain. The pipe fits into the intake a place you can't see, it's got two oddly sized bolts that are easy to drop, the o-ring is easy to damage, etc. when I cleaned mine it was a waste of time plus i dropped a bolt and it landed somewhere in the frame never to be seen again... And it was not fixed..

Transducer fixed it. http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...SEName=911-201

Last edited by rob302; 24 Jul 2017 at 07:38 am.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 10:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
You can usually fix that code by changing the EGR transducer(NOT THE VALVE). It's cheap, easy, and available locally. I think I paid $25 at Auto zone. It's in the back directly below the throttle body. Three vacuum lines, an electrical connector, all just held in place with a rubber grommet. This fixed it for me.

I wouldn't even bother removing or cleaning the valve unless cleaning out a little soot makes you feel better. I find removing the valve to be a waste of time and it's a pain. The pipe fits into the intake a place you can't see, it's got two oddly sized bolts that are easy to drop, the o-ring is easy to damage, etc. when I cleaned mine it was a waste of time plus i dropped a bolt and it landed somewhere in the frame never to be seen again... And it was not fixed..

Transducer fixed it. EGR Transducer | EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Transducer | 911-201 | Dorman Products
Damn good info, Rob. I'm saving this for future reference. Thanks.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 12:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks for the heads up on something I knew little about, The Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. It's always fun to learn a little bit more. Here's a look at it. Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

0996b43f807cb58c.jpg
rockandroller and Gkon like this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 24 Jul 2017 at 09:49 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 10:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

When I replaced the valve cover gasket I removed the EGR valve and cleaned it up with carb cleaner. I replaced all the gaskets and vacuum hose. I know I didn't have to do it but what the heck a little extra and one less thing to worry about
JonN likes this.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post

Transducer fixed it. EGR Transducer | EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Transducer | 911-201 | Dorman Products
That's often a P0403 when the transducer or solenoid is bad. But I guess setting a P0401 might be a second order effect. I've tried changing the transducers on Daimler Chrysler vehicles I've owned because it's easy. And normally it's not cleared P0401. I've most often found it's a burnt up EGR valve. And I found it pretty easy to get to on my 2001 Limited. But hey, I'm all about trying the cheap easy fixes first.

PS: I just found that you can use a block-off plate on a Mercury Villager and it doesn't throw a code.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Jul 2017 at 08:57 am.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 09:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
That's often a P0403 when the transducer or solenoid is bad. But I guess setting a P0401 might be a second order effect. I've tried changing the transducers on Daimler Chrysler vehicles I've owned because it's easy. And normally it's not cleared P0401. I've most often found it's a burnt up EGR valve. And I found it pretty easy to get to on my 2001 Limited. But hey, I'm all about trying the cheap easy fixes first.

PS: I just found that you can use a block-off plate on a Mercury Villager and it doesn't throw a code.
I'm all for using a block off plate as well, if it will still run correctly. But I feel like doing so might cause the fuel/air mixture to be off because it may compensate for not having enough air. Am I thinking right?
Vision Cross 16x7 Rims, 205/55/16 , Painted Calipers, Spoiler, CAI, Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, NEW Skar SKv2 200.4 amplifier 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 92k
NRS brakes and energy suspension bushings
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVXv3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver. Stinger fan. ACR1 Bass knob

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1 oil and K&N filters
Old 25 Jul 2017, 10:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

is the block-off plate the updated version of your ball bearing method?

since you have not had and fixed this problem on a PT Cruiser, i don't understand how you can know the answer.

i had a 401 and the transducer was the problem.
___
Capture.JPG
___
i'm all for cheap/free fixes as well. $25 is a cheap fix, IMO.
Old 25 Jul 2017, 11:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonN View Post
I'm all for using a block off plate as well, if it will still run correctly. But I feel like doing so might cause the fuel/air mixture to be off because it may compensate for not having enough air. Am I thinking right?
we had a thread about it a while back: EGR delete possible?

for such a cheap easy fix, i'd let it function as intended. your car though