PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need tips for re-painting my bumpers, again.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2017, 12:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Need tips for re-painting my bumpers, again.

@CREWZIN I wasn't sure if this belongs here, or in the Detailing forum. Please move it if necessary. Thanks.

Let me start this by saying, I do not want to paint my bumpers the same color as the car. I want to keep the Dark Charcoal color that they are.

Last year, I followed the sticky post that discussed how to paint your bumpers. I followed the instructions to the letter. I washed and cleaned the bumpers.
  • i sprayed three light coats of Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter
  • I painted the bumpers with Duplicolor Bumper Coat

Here we are, about a year later, and the coating has rubbed off in some spots, showing the original, faded bumper color. And, in the back where I was lightly rear ended, the coating rubbed off. So now, I want to repaint them, but don't want the same thing to happen.

Is Bumper Coating known for not lasting long and rubbing off, or did I perhaps not prep the bumpers well enough, which caused poor adhesion in some areas?

If poor prep is the culprit, after washing the bumpers with soap and water, I'll go over them with some wax and tar remover, and then spray the Adhesion Promoter and Bumper Coat.

If the problem is that Bumper Coat doesn't last long, what other products are out there that will last? Can I use some sort of paint?

I didn't want to sand the texture off of the bumpers as I like it, but if light sanding will create better adhesion, I may be willing to do that.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 12:51 pm
Banned

Default Re: Need tips for re-painting my bumpers, again.

What about using a Scotch Brite pad, or similar, to scuff up the bumpers? That should give it some tooth for whatever you want to spray on, and keep the texture rather than using sandpaper which would tend to smooth out the surface.
ptprice and Gkon like this.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take them off and spray them with undercoating, Kon. I don't know about the color, but it SHOULD be durable!
ptprice likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 01:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
What about using a Scotch Brite pad, or similar, to scuff up the bumpers? That should give it some tooth for whatever you want to spray on, and keep the texture rather than using sandpaper which would tend to smooth out the surface.
I would prefer not to smooth them, so that's an idea. I wonder, though, what kind of stuffing pattern scotch brite would leave.

Definitely something to consider. Thanks.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 01:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Take them off and spray them with undercoating, Kon. I don't know about the color, but it SHOULD be durable!
I did consider that, but I don't think it comes in a color I would like. I'll have to check.

Also, if my problem was adhesion, I wonder if even the bumper coating would eventually just flake off.

I do have some roll bar and chassis paint. That's some tough stuff, too, with exture but less than the undercoat.
ptprice likes this.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^ Maybe use that stuff and then find the paint color you want and spray over the top if that?
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 01:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are you using a gun or just spray bombing? I have several comments that might help, but the real paint and body guys, like Busted will have more better info.
  • Your prep doesn't sound right. You want to wipe it down with one of the prep products that are usually like alcohol. You don't want anything on the surface. I think that stuff usually has some form of wax in it. Keep the armor all off too - causes fisheyes IIRC
  • You live in Queens. That is status quo. When you move out west you will probably have less problems. My bumpers are scuffed a bit and it is all from Brooklyn, but the car hasn't been there too much since 2012.
  • Did you use some of that flex agent? Bumpers used to need that. If you didn't when they compress the paint will crack and rub off. I would assume "bumper paint" includes it. Even with the flex agent, professional jobs (hell, even factory jobs) only last so long in parallel parked situations
  • I think Rckstein is correct. You do want to sand them. Usually sanding will add texture. You aren't going to be using 1000+ grit like you were color sanding. You can probably find a texture you like that way. Another way to keep the texture is texture paint. I believe the old Mopar "flat" black Organosol had a texture - there are textures that you can mix in the paint to get them the way you want. Organosol is kind of a bitch to match, but you are looking for what you like, not a perfect resto.
  • For durability I would say bedliner. That stuff comes in all kinds of colors and textures and is plenty durable. It is heavy though.

Good luck!
ptprice and Gkon like this.

Last edited by Fk5; 27 Jul 2017 at 01:52 pm.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 06:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

In addition to Chuzz's suggestion of undercoating, I wonder if a spray can of bed liner or that stuff called Flex Seal might be a more permanent solution. The bed liner stuff is designed to withstand the rigors of a truck bed. I know it's a textured spray, which would cover the scuff marks of preparation. I'm just not sure if it has enough flex properties out of the can. That flex seal stuff by its name alone would be flexible and I know it goes on with a texture. I see it advertised on TV sealing up the bottom of a boat. It might do it though.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Gkon likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
^^^ Maybe use that stuff and then find the paint color you want and spray over the top if that?
I still have to find out if I had adhesion problems due to poor prep.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 08:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Are you using a gun or just spray bombing? I have several comments that might help, but the real paint and body guys, like Busted will have more better info.
  • Your prep doesn't sound right. You want to wipe it down with one of the prep products that are usually like alcohol. You don't want anything on the surface. I think that stuff usually has some form of wax in it. Keep the armor all off too - causes fisheyes IIRC
  • You live in Queens. That is status quo. When you move out west you will probably have less problems. My bumpers are scuffed a bit and it is all from Brooklyn, but the car hasn't been there too much since 2012.
  • Did you use some of that flex agent? Bumpers used to need that. If you didn't when they compress the paint will crack and rub off. I would assume "bumper paint" includes it. Even with the flex agent, professional jobs (hell, even factory jobs) only last so long in parallel parked situations
  • I think Rckstein is correct. You do want to sand them. Usually sanding will add texture. You aren't going to be using 1000+ grit like you were color sanding. You can probably find a texture you like that way. Another way to keep the texture is texture paint. I believe the old Mopar "flat" black Organosol had a texture - there are textures that you can mix in the paint to get them the way you want. Organosol is kind of a bitch to match, but you are looking for what you like, not a perfect resto.
  • For durability I would say bedliner. That stuff comes in all kinds of colors and textures and is plenty durable. It is heavy though.

Good luck!
Like I said, I followed the directions on a sticky post about painting your bumpers. I followed the cleaning and prep to a T, and used the products recommended. What wasn't in the sticky was to use a degreaser, that's why I mentioned using one the next time around.

I'm sure that the bumper coat has flex agent in it.

The paint mainly came off with time, not from contact with another vehicle, which is why I wonder why in had adhesion issues. Was not the nature of bumper coat, or my lack of degreaser and wax remover?

The textured paints I found are SUPER expensive.

Sanding will rough them up, but there will be lines. The texture on the stock bumpers are tiny little bumps. Sanding lines will look way different.

I think bedliner might just be too thick and textured. I'll have to go see some applied to a bed.

The thing is, I REALLY like the color of the Duplicolor Charcoal Gray Bumper Coat. Of my problem was poor prep, I'll just make sure to prep them better and respray with the same. I also want to spray the mud flaps.

If the problem is that this style of bumper coat just wears away quickly, then I will consider a different type of paint like bumper coat, etc.
Fk5 likes this.