PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best place to have a PCM programmed with a different VIN?

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2017, 02:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Best place to have a PCM programmed with a different VIN?

2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Automatic.
My daughter went through some high water with splash shields missing/damaged, and apparently the PCM is messed up. The car is still driveable.
I have a spare from a junkyard 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Automatic and would like to have it programmed for her VIN, sent it off to one of those "PCM rebuild" places on ebay and he said that he can't do that.

Where can I send it to have this done? Thanks, and price is an object here.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Best place to have a PCM programmed with a different VIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Automatic.
My daughter went through some high water with splash shields missing/damaged, and apparently the PCM is messed up. The car is still driveable.
I have a spare from a junkyard 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Automatic and would like to have it programmed for her VIN, sent it off to one of those "PCM rebuild" places on ebay and he said that he can't do that.

Where can I send it to have this done? Thanks, and price is an object here.
Forum member, Myckee, has a small PCM business and can do this. He lives in Canada so shipping may take a bit longer if you are in the US. But have sent him packages and have received packages from him with no problem in the past.

Companies I've dealt with personally that can do it include, Kevin at Syked ECM Tuning if he's not too busy, FWD Performance (subcontracted) and AutoComputerExchange. I suspect AutoComputerExchange will be the fastest of these.

My first choice would be Myckee. Here's a link to send him a PM:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...=newpm&u=46003

All it takes to do this is a small handheld unit that plugs into the OBDII port like a trouble code reader. They cost around $500 depending on where you get them. Some OEM-level diagnostic scanners, such as a WiTech can do this too on NGC PCM's. So it's always possible that a local run-of-the-mill automotive repair shop can do this if they have the right scanner. You might just call around and ask. But in most cases, they will want the whole car at their shop to do it. It might be cheaper than the dealership, but may not be.
VsandFords and myckee like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jul 2017 at 02:52 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check you local shops. It only takes about 10 minutes and 50- 75 dollars to do a pass through.

I find it hard to believe that simply going through some water damaged your PCM. I do not have all the splash guards and have traveled in rain storm up in Oregon without fear. I also routinely wash my engine compartment and often lightly spray the PCM .
I suggest to do some more checking into the PCM before writing it off as going bad.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Jul 2017, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Jul 2017 at 04:06 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 04:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

So far, I've had two places who advertise that they "rebuild" PCM's tell me that they cannot program one to a different VIN. One place said that they could, but then after I sent it to them, they changed their story. The other place claims that it is a very expensive and difficult process that only a dealer can do.

I should have asked you guys first, I had no idea that a local shop may be able to help me.

Nitro, Yes, I thought the same thing. But it is throwing a code (damn if I can remember what it is) and everywhere I look on the internet people say if it throws this code, it must have gotten wet, it is fried, I need another one.
She hits a lot of parking bumpers when she parks, she has bent the lower radiator support WAY back (I have since replaced it) and she tore off the main splash shield that covers the pulleys (I have since replaced that) and ripped a big hole in the inner fender splash shield on the passenger side (again, I replaced it).
She hit the water so hard that it ripped the repair I had made on the front bumper cover where it attaches to the fender.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I should have asked you guys first, I had no idea that a local shop may be able to help me.

Nitro, Yes, I thought the same thing. But it is throwing a code (damn if I can remember what it is) and everywhere I look on the internet people say if it throws this code, it must have gotten wet, it is fried, I need another one.
Keep calling the shops around you. I looked you have several.

The internet is FULL of bad and inaccurate information.

Lets try to make sure you have a bad or failing PCM? I would like to know the WET PCM failing DTC is ? ROLMAO!!!

Can you have you diagnostic connector scanned for any DTCs (dont forget to note the #) and also check the monitors to see what is up there. Make sure that they clear DTCs and reset the monitors.

I still have not read anything that point to a failing PCM yet!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Jul 2017, 04:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i powerwashed mine every time i washed the engine bay. not like from an inch away, but i definitely sprayed it hard enough to clean it.

Quote:
She hit the water so hard that it ripped the repair I had made on the front bumper cover where it attaches to the fender.
my car never had the shield there but...sounds like me. i LOVE puddles i hit one so hard in a mark8 that the whole car instantly jumped/ urned 45 to the right.

Last edited by rob302; 28 Jul 2017 at 04:24 pm.
Old 06 Aug 2017, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for the delay in getting back on here, but I do appreciate the help you guys have offered so far.
Just to be clear, we are not talking about driving through puddles or hydroplaning, we are talking about using the PT like a boat and plowing through deep water. Wait, wasn't there a boat called a PT?

The codes it is giving me are:
P1603
P1604
P0501
P0700
P0613
Old 06 Aug 2017, 04:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in getting back on here, but I do appreciate the help you guys have offered so far.
Just to be clear, we are not talking about driving through puddles or hydroplaning, we are talking about using the PT like a boat and plowing through deep water. Wait, wasn't there a boat called a PT?

The codes it is giving me are:
P1603
P1604
P0501
P0700
P0613
My favorite was John F. Kennedy's PT109
Then there McHale's Navy PT73

The DTCs acquisition is only the first step. You should clear them and restart and drive the PT to see which DTC's return.
A mistake that many do is to start to discus and define by looking up the first found DTCs. This is a poor and long way to use the OBDII connector to help resolve issues.
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Aug 2017 at 04:07 pm.
Old 06 Aug 2017, 04:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
This one did try to go swimming

rockandroller likes this.