Advertisements
04 Pt Gt won't smog!

Like Tree5Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2017, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 Pt Gt won't smog!

Dealing with this problem for a few months. First time smogging this since I bought it. I have taken it to 3 different smog shops and all 3 different machines will not connect. Hand helds will power up and connect. Had a friend at the dealer connect to it and couldn't find anything wrong. Thought it was a bad ecu...picked up another one had it reflashed and put it in, tried to smog again...and it still won't connect...sonofa@#$%^!!!! Anybody run into this...all ideas welcome.

Thanks
64 Dodge 440
1989 FLSTC Custom
MOPAR (Massively Over Powered Asphalt Ripper)
Old 01 Aug 2017, 11:50 pm
Banned

Default Re: 04 Pt Gt won't smog!

Welcome to the forum even though you joined 06/15

If you had it at a dealership and they could connect to the vehicle, why don't you just have them smog it?
Old 02 Aug 2017, 12:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It has been known that terminal #16 has been pushed out of the data link connector on some of the Pt Cruisers.

If the data link connector terminal #16 looks good I would suggest to see if you have voltage on these two terminals with the key on:

Module C1
Terminal 20 - F12 20DB/WT FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)

Module C2
Terminal 46 - A14 18RD/WT FUSED B(+)
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Aug 2017 at 12:45 am.
Old 02 Aug 2017, 02:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Dealership does not smog...none in my area does! Thanks Steve for the info about the pin..going to have to take it to a smog repair according to the State ref!
64 Dodge 440
1989 FLSTC Custom
MOPAR (Massively Over Powered Asphalt Ripper)
Old 02 Aug 2017, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxhemi View Post
Dealership does not smog...none in my area does! Thanks Steve for the info about the pin..going to have to take it to a smog repair according to the State ref!
Message NitroPT. He is in your state. And is a expert here on California regulations.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Aug 2017, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

LODI...Home of the LODI ROD RUN

If you can connect with a hand held than the SMOG technicians at the shops are..........

PM me

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Aug 2017, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If you had it at a dealership and they could connect to the vehicle, why don't you just have them smog it?
There are actually very few NEW Vehicle auto dealerships that do CA Emission testing. Many will send their used vehicles to local Emission test center.

First it requires being licence in the State Of California to do Emission testing and than you "must" have a qualified and certified emission Technician with the State of California. Than you must also have the current certified equipment for California Emission Testing.

The EMISSION TEST equipment used for the CALIFORNIA EMISSION TESTING PROGRAM is not a diagnostic scanner like used in dealerships or normal diagnostic scanning of the diagnostic connector on vehicles used in many service shops. It not only connects with the ECU but also the State of California ARB. It is not the same as a normally used diagnostic scanning tool to diagnosis ECU issues.
xxxhemi likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Aug 2017 at 08:56 am.
Old 02 Aug 2017, 09:01 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxhemi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
There are actually very few NEW Vehicle auto dealerships that do CA Emission testing. Many will send their used vehicles to local Emission test center.

First it requires being licence in the State Of California to do Emission testing and than you "must" have a qualified and certified emission Technician with the State of California. Than you must also have the current certified equipment for California Emission Testing.

The EMISSION TEST equipment used for the CALIFORNIA EMISSION TESTING PROGRAM is not a diagnostic scanner like used in dealerships or normal diagnostic scanning of the diagnostic connector on vehicles used in many service shops. It not only connects with the ECU but also the State of California ARB. It is not the same as a normally used diagnostic scanning tool to diagnosis ECU issues.
I thought about something like that, but didn't really think it possible since practically all the dealerships here in Texas do the State Inspection, which includes an emissions test.

Here, even car washes can do the inspection and then give you a full-service wash after, included in the price of the inspection
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Aug 2017 at 09:13 am.
Old 02 Aug 2017, 09:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I thought about something like that, but didn't really think it possible since practically all the dealerships here in Texas do the State Inspection, which includes an emissions test.

Here, even car washes can do the inspection and then give you a full-service wash after, included in the price of the inspection
I have read the State Emission testing requirements for "some" of the counties in Texas and your response is somewhat accurate.
BTW I have a sister-in-law that lives about ...10-20 minute drive or so from your posted city you live in. It has always been a possibility for a move for us.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Aug 2017 at 09:38 am.
Old 02 Aug 2017, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

I've run into this a couple of times when buying a car in Texas. Like the bumper sticker says, "Texas: It's a whole other country".

The Texas dealership will want to do the inspection, collect sales tax and license the car before you leave the lot. And it's expensive. Twice, I had to spend about an hour convincing a Texas dealer that I didn't need any of that stuff in Arkansas. Just give me a bill of sale and I can drive away. From what I've gathered, they kind of put all that responsibility on the dealerships in Texas while in Arkansas you just go to any county office yourself, pay sales for your specific county and buy your license. The dealership doesn't get involved. The dealer even sends you the check if you finance the sale tax.

On the subject at hand, Amazon has some very nice OBDII readers for under $50 that will give you a full list of I/M readiness statuses for the PT. And there's a ton of how-to's on the web on how to pass California smog tests. But busted said it best. Nitro is going to be the closest we have to an expert on California emissions. This subject never even comes up where I live. If you've got a valid (or partially valid) VIN, you can get a license plate for it here. You don't even need the car.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Aug 2017 at 10:03 am.
Closed Thread