PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser rear right door latch broken

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2017, 12:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser rear right door latch broken

I have pulled off the panel and I'm trying to understand why the inside door handle doesn't work any more. Only the outside button is working. If someone is sitting in the rear right passanger you have to roll down the window and press the outside button from inside the car to open the door. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I need to install an actuator. I have been manually pushing the locking button up and down to lock the car. The rod looks bent to me. I cant see too well in there. Why would it stop working?
Old 03 Aug 2017, 12:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser rear right door latch broken

Even if the actuator is bad, the handle should still work.
Remove the door panel & check that the little plastic holder is holding the bar to the handle...it just snaps into place holding the 2 together.

2 min mark
earthworm likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 03 Aug 2017 at 12:28 am. Reason: Added Video
Old 03 Aug 2017, 12:28 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserinCA View Post
I have pulled off the panel and I'm trying to understand why the inside door handle doesn't work any more. Only the outside button is working. If someone is sitting in the rear right passanger you have to roll down the window and press the outside button from inside the car to open the door. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

I need to install an actuator. I have been manually pushing the locking button up and down to lock the car. The rod looks bent to me. I cant see too well in there. Why would it stop working?
Reading back through your posts, this is the same door panel that you had removed in 12/14. On the inside of the door panel is a long rod going to the latch mechanism. You probably bent the rod a little too much because you didn't take the panel off completely. Try straightening out the rod and the inside lever should work again. If you need to remove the door panel completely, on the inside handle is a small plastic clip holding the rod. Slide the clip one direction or the other to unlock the clip and then the rod will come out of the latch assembly.

The clip holding the rod to the handle assembly is similar to this:

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Aug 2017 at 12:48 am.
Old 03 Aug 2017, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you tried the child safety latch. May be set and you didn't noticed.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Aug 2017, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I went to lkq pick a part and pulled off the side panels of a pt cruiser and grabbed an actuator. I installed it on to my car and the actuator works ok...

But the inside door handle that you pull on to open the door from the inside is still not working. The long handle WAS bent. I straightened it out, but the thing will still not open the door. I don't get it.... Why isn't it working. When I pulled off the panel, I removed the long lever from the plastic clip. I put it back on and snapped it back into the plastic part. I thought maybe the child safety lock had something to do with this. I pushed the long lever IN and then I could move the child safety lock on the door downwards. It doesn't go down unless you push in first. This really didn't have anything to do with why the door won't open from the inside. It still doesn't work. I got really hot and sweaty today pulling this apart and putting it back together...
Old 03 Aug 2017, 10:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
I went to lkq pick a part and pulled off the side panels of a pt cruiser and grabbed an actuator. I installed it on to my car and the actuator works ok...

But the inside door handle that you pull on to open the door from the inside is still not working. The long handle WAS bent. I straightened it out, but the thing will still not open the door. I don't get it.... Why isn't it working. When I pulled off the panel, I removed the long lever from the plastic clip. I put it back on and snapped it back into the plastic part. I thought maybe the child safety lock had something to do with this. I pushed the long lever IN and then I could move the child safety lock on the door downwards. It doesn't go down unless you push in first. This really didn't have anything to do with why the door won't open from the inside. It still doesn't work. I got really hot and sweaty today pulling this apart and putting it back together...
Without the rod clipped onto the inside door handle, can you pull it and it will unlatch the door?
Old 03 Aug 2017, 11:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No it won't...I tried this when the panel was office. I pushed it in and pulled it and there was no movement at all on the push pull knob on the door. This makes me think something is messed up back in there and I really can't see it. The actuator is working, but if you can't open the door, that's pretty moot...
Old 03 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
No it won't...I tried this when the panel was office. I pushed it in and pulled it and there was no movement at all on the push pull knob on the door. This makes me think something is messed up back in there and I really can't see it. The actuator is working, but if you can't open the door, that's pretty moot...
Does the other side work fine?

There aren't any good pictures in the Parts Catalog of the door/handle assembly so that's no help. You may have to pull off the other door panel to compare to the non-working side. There's got to be another lever or clip broken.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The child lock is the one thing that will disable the inside handle. The outside will still open the door. Should be able to move the child safety latch without moving anything else.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Aug 2017, 12:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

I watched a video of this guy saying that the inner door latch when you pull on it pulls the rod. Over time, this pulling bends the rod. Actually the rod has a certain bend to it that when you pull it, there is enough leverage to open the handle. After hundreds of time being yanked, the bend in the rod is reduced and the rod is straighter. This is why there isn't enough leverage. The rod has to be bent back again. I'm just not sure where and how much bend will make it work.

Does anyone know what it should look like? I guess I can rip off the panel on the other side to take a look.

Tags
inside door handle