PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Curb rash on SOOO BIG's front air dam (valance). Asking for best buy to replace.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2017, 08:32 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Curb rash on SOOO BIG's front air dam (valance). Asking for best buy to replace.

I did the unpardonable last week and pulled SOOO BIG a bit too far forward in a parking spot with a raised concrete side walk edge abutting. I knew it had happened when I heard that chilling sound of concrete meeting plastic. I toasted SOOO BIG's front air dam (valance). (2005 PT)

As I'd replaced it a few years ago with one I'd ordered from Chrysler for just under $100.00 I was pleasantly surprised to find one "new" on ebay for $31.00 including shipping.

I'm posting this thread to ask if this is a "too good to be true price" or should I snap it up. The ebay add said "more than 10 available".

If this is the genuine article, why have the price of these has come down so much? Or is Chrysler just too greedy?

Please advise.

Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

$_35.JPG
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 04 Aug 2017 at 08:34 am.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 09:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Curb rash on SOOO BIG's front air dam (valance). Asking for best buy to replace.

It's a small piece of plastic that is hardly visible to the public...just buy it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 04 Aug 2017, 10:10 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Curb rash on SOOO BIG's front air dam (valance). Asking for best buy to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
It's a small piece of plastic that is hardly visible to the public...just buy it.
I agree, it is just a small piece of plastic and primarily out of sight.

I prefer to do it right. I'm on a limited budget, therefore I'm just trying to determine if this lower priced offering is indeed as original or just a knock off. Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 10:11 am
Banned

Quote:
I believe his has a different profile, is larger and more prominent, than what our Gen2 has.
ptprice likes this.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 10:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I believe his has a different profile, is larger and more prominent, than what our Gen2 has.

So, what does that have to do with a lower price on Ebay..??

Unless your standing about 10 feet in front of the car or crawling underneath, no one is gonna see it. I'd pay $31 over $100 whether it's aftermarket or not.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 04 Aug 2017, 11:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Or, do like mine and run without. Can't scrape it if you don't have it!
MJKnight likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 04 Aug 2017, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Or, do like mine and run without. Can't scrape it if you don't have it!
then the first thing touched is the bumper. I have had good luck on aftermarket bumper parts. Buy it.
ptprice and LionPT like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I did the unpardonable last week and pulled SOOO BIG a bit too far forward in a parking spot with a raised concrete side walk edge abutting. I knew it had happened when I heard that chilling sound of concrete meeting plastic. I toasted SOOO BIG's front air dam (valance). (2005 PT)

As I'd replaced it a few years ago with one I'd ordered from Chrysler for just under $100.00 I was pleasantly surprised to find one "new" on ebay for $31.00 including shipping.

I'm posting this thread to ask if this is a "too good to be true price" or should I snap it up. The ebay add said "more than 10 available".

If this is the genuine article, why have the price of these has come down so much? Or is Chrysler just too greedy?

Please advise.

Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice

Attachment 24049
Here's a little cheaper one that I found also with free shipping, for the same after-market one that I believe that you found:

New Air Dam Deflector Lower Valance Apron Front CH1092111 5288792AB,5116157AA

It comes from a different source but from the same city and state as the other one. Probably from the same company just doing business under a different name.

The one I found has the part numbers for the Gen1 and Gen2, even though if you get the original MOPAR one of either, they're 2 different profiles.

So if you order from the link I found, it will be interesting to see which profile you receive, because they are different.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 12:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
So, what does that have to do with a lower price on Ebay..??

Unless your standing about 10 feet in front of the car or crawling underneath, no one is gonna see it. I'd pay $31 over $100 whether it's aftermarket or not.
Maybe nothing, but just in case you didn't know, they are 2 different profiles, where one is seen more than the other:

MOPAR 05288792AB (Gen1)

MOPAR 05116157AA (Gen2)

(this pic is actually upside down because the air dam doesn't stick up but down)

If it was me, I would get the cheaper on off Ebay, it should be fine.

I hope you have a better day
ptprice likes this.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 01:00 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I had a second generation 1973 Rally Sport Camaro 350 I ordered new in 72 with all the Z-28 fixings as add ons instead of the Z package. It priced out much less than the Z package and all I had to do was spray on the Black Z stripes. I'd hoped to get a 72 but the factory went on strike and my 72, on the line, was sent to Saudi Arabia. Knowing I was getting the detuned engine in the 73 I settled for it and waited it out.
At my 1000m mile service they tore off the front air dam in a shop accident. This was during the time I-75 was under construction in Georgia and presented a perfect place for high speed runs. After ripping off all the emission control crap and reworking the jets and advance I gave it an all out run. Without that front air dam it topped out at 127mph. I couldn't squeeze another mph out of it. With the new air dam installed it topped out by burying the 140mph speedometer It pointed straight down!

Now I know I'm not going to get performance like that out of SOOO BIG but every little bit helps.

Happy PTin', ptprice