• 2 Post By Eggman90
  • 1 Post By Eggman90
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By xwing777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2017, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Cruiser Driver's Side Power Window: Dead

Greetings, new to the forum and thanks for reading this! My 2007 4-door PT Cruiser driver's side power window just stopped working, the other three are functional. I assumed it was a faulty switch on the front dash, the unit for all four windows. I replaced it and the window is still dead. I noticed that there are no specific fuses for just the power windows since this model uses the under hood CAN BUS system. If it was a blown fuse, wouldn't it affect more than one window? I also read there is a relay switch. Should I just bite the bullet at this point and just get a new window motor? Videos on YouTube show how this is done, but I was checking to see if there was anything else I could do to before spending the day disassembling the door. Thanks for any help!

-John
Gkon likes this.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 08:29 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser Driver's Side Power Window: Dead

Welcome to the forum

Also, when you get a chance, please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create and intro thread telling us a little about yourself and your PT
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 20 Aug 2017 at 08:21 pm. Reason: Edited because of NitroPT who wants to control everything on the forum.
Old 04 Aug 2017, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will download the manual. Thanks!
rckstein and Gkon like this.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 05:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

The motor is getting power. I ordered a new one from Autozone for $78. I know they are cheaper online but I need to get this ASAP as the window is stuck halfway down. They don't stock the regulator, but suggested it's the motor most of the time anyway. Hope that's the case here. Their price was cheaper than the auto wreckers around here which were asking $100+.
rckstein likes this.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 12:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggman90 View Post
The motor is getting power. I ordered a new one from Autozone for $78. I know they are cheaper online but I need to get this ASAP as the window is stuck halfway down. They don't stock the regulator, but suggested it's the motor most of the time anyway. Hope that's the case here. Their price was cheaper than the auto wreckers around here which were asking $100+.
I would suggest removing the motor and apply power to it. See if it works before ordering a new motor.
JDK52 likes this.
Old 06 Aug 2017, 01:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Drivers side window stopped working on wife's 2006
JDK52 likes this.
Old 06 Aug 2017, 03:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok so i fixed it after many trips to AutoZone (thanks to them, they were very helpful and patient). Viewed a few YouTube vids, none were post-2006, so I thought I'd share my experience in case it might help someone. After disconnecting the battery and peeling away the protective plastic under the door panel i saw this, a black plastic geared bracket assembly with the power window motor attached to it. The window was halfway down, so I could still access the bolts (10mm) fairly easily:

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the wire on the motor was worn and exposed, from ten years of going up and down:

I unclamped the window bolts (10mm socket) pulled the window up by hand and taped it there while I continued working:

Popped out the electrical connector inside the door, and pushed on the red sliding lock. Squeeze the back of it and it comes apart.

Here's the whole assembly removed from the door. There are 10mm bolts top and bottom, fairly easy to get this out.

Flip it over, you have three star screws to remove (they are out here). You can see the exposed bad wires:

Turn the motor over. Pull this plastic gear off the old motor by hand, and slide it on to your new motor:

The new motor, installed on the bracket:

I reinstalled everything the way I took it out. I left the door panel off, reconnected the battery, and viola! The glass moved up nicely when I pushed the button. But gasp, it would not go down! I could hear the motor make a noise when I pushed the window in the up position, but nothing in the down position. Since I knew I had power where needed, I went back to AutoZone an re-purchased the power door controller switch in the dashboard I had bought and returned the day before:

There are vids on YouTube on how to get this piece out, all you need is a flat screwdriver to pry the sides of plastic surrounding the back of the switch as you push from the front. It pops right out.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience. The motor cost $78 new, and the switch was a little over $100. I know they are cheaper online, but I wanted to get this done prior to a rain storm, and didn't have the time to wait for a delivery.

You can find vids on how to get the door panel and dashboard housing off on youtube, I was trying to fill in the blanks here for some of the puzzle pieces, as I didn't see this anywhere on the internet. Hope that helps, please feel free to contact me if I left something out or if you have any questions!

-John