Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 No Start - Mechanic says, "That's Weird!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2017, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2006 No Start - Mechanic says, "That's Weird!"

I've got a 2006 Ltd 2.4L yard decoration at the moment.. I need your help because I don't know what to try next!

So I'm on a very tight budget, and my car hasn't been starting right.

At first, it was: sometimes it will, sometimes it won't (hearing a hum, but no clicking, all lights on fine) and sometimes it will, with creating a spark at the solenoid.

Replaced the starter, started fine for one day then back to acting up and not starting every time.

My mechanic neighbor who has a shop says he ruled out solenoid, and doesn't think it's the starter relay (which i replaced anyway) or actuator pin.

He thinks it's the ignition switch, says it would be a couple hundred dollars to replace (which I don't have), so he hooked up a bypass toggle switch for the starter, so that I just have to put the key to Run, then hit the switch until it starts.

It worked great! For one day. Now the engine just keeps turning over and it won't "catch" - no ignition.

Now I can't get him to look at it again, and I'm just trying to figure out what to do.

Yesterday I tested the battery, which was low, charged it and it still won't start even with a jump. Just keeps turning over with no start.

My goal is to try and figure out basically what it is before I take it to another shop, because I can't pay for them to troubleshoot and replace parts that may not need it.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 10:55 am
Banned

Default Re: 2006 No Start - Mechanic says, "That's Weird!"

Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your PT.

You might be money ahead to find a good shop that can do a proper diagnostic. Then they should be able to hopefully narrow down the cars problems, before just throwing enough parts at it, in the hopes that they eventually change enough to fix the issues. You can inquire because some shops will apply a diagnostic fee towards any repairs, depends on how much time they have in the diagnostic process.

But when you get a chance, please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread telling us a little about yourself and your PT

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Aug 2017 at 11:01 am.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Is your engine light on? If so do you have the codes? Do you have a DRBII Scan Tool or can you borrow one from your neighbor?

If no codes has the fuel pressure been checked?

Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the ignition to the "On" position?

How did you determine you have no spark in all four cylinders?

Have you tried disconnecting the camshaft sensor to see if it will start?

Has the timing belt been replaced yet and if so how long ago?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Aug 2017 at 12:11 pm.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The check engine light is not on, so no codes. I believe he ran his diagnostic scanner when I took it to him last.

Fuel pressure was checked, and I can hear the hum of the fuel pump.

Timing belt is most likely due to be changed; it's at 106k miles and I don't believe it was done before I bought it several months ago (mechanic says if it had been, there'd be a sticker under the hood).

Camshaft sensor looks as if it's been replaced, it's not the original one. Maybe a stupid question, what will it change to disconnect it, and if it starts when disconnected, will it just need to be replaced?
Old 05 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the engine starts with the camshaft sensor removed then your ignition timing is off and you need to check the timing belt to make sure it has not slipped.
Old 05 Aug 2017, 12:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only thing that will change if you unplug the cam sensor is that it will take longer than normal for the car to start. BUT, if that's the problem, then it should start. Have you checked it for spark, fuel and compression? If not, then you really need to do all of that before trying any new parts. And you can do all of this, free of charge!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Tags
2006, help!, ignition, no start