PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

 
Like Tree16Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06 Aug 2017, 12:40 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 74
Default Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

I took my car to a shop to check my front suspension to identify the source of noise and to paint the calipers and drums (he owes me a favor).

Sparing the details, the car was returned without the the drums and calipers being painted. I was told it was because I need new brakes.

Shortly after driving it, my brake light came on. Although I did not check the brake fluid level before dropping it off, it is low now. Additionally, there is an excessive amount of brake dust coming off the front brakes (black dots and all).

The front wheels were spinning nice and freely before dropping it off. Now it takes quite a bit of force to turn them.

What did they do? What could they have done?

Help! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06 Aug 2017, 12:57 pm
rob302's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darien, IL | Forest Park, IL
Posts: 3,558
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

I think it's a coincidence. I've never heard of a shop spraying callipers. Thats an odd request. No?
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06 Aug 2017, 12:57 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 16,000
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

If you are asking this then perhaps your best advise is to take it to a shop that specializes in brakes. I.e Sears,Firestone,etc.

There are far to many conditions and dozens of Q&A that could be done on your thread but without any member physically looking at your PT it would all be speculation and guessing.

BTW in most every state a shop that actively does what you are suggesting can be fined and or charged with minor misdemeanor and even in some cases a felony. So the thought that any licence shop "fricked" up a customer brakes deliberately is not reasonable.
dsab likes this.
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06 Aug 2017, 03:34 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCrews View Post
I took my car to a shop to check my front suspension to identify the source of noise and to paint the calipers and drums (he owes me a favor).

Sparing the details, the car was returned without the the drums and calipers being painted. I was told it was because I need new brakes.

Shortly after driving it, my brake light came on. Although I did not check the brake fluid level before dropping it off, it is low now. Additionally, there is an excessive amount of brake dust coming off the front brakes (black dots and all).

The front wheels were spinning nice and freely before dropping it off. Now it takes quite a bit of force to turn them.

What did they do? What could they have done?

Help! Thank you in advance!
First, it appears that you are saying this is happening on both front brakes and not just one?

If me, I would top off the brake fluid, clean the front wheels and drive the car and see if the issue goes away. The shop may have opened the caliper bleeders while compressing the caliper pistons before re-installation. That could be why the fluid is now low if the shop did not top it off as they should have. And the brake dust and bits may just be the pads re-seating. If so, the issue will quickly go away.

But if there is no joy after this, take your PT back to your friend, tell what you tried and ask him to look at the brakes again. If a friend and a real mechanic, he should be willing to look to assure he didn't make any mistakes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06 Aug 2017, 03:52 pm
rsrocket1's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 769
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

The brake light comes on often because the brake fluid is low. Worn pads will cause the brake pistons to extend which will lower the brake fluid in the reservoir and often cause the brake light to go on. DON"T fill the reservoir with more brake fluid if the pads are worn.

Why?
Because as you compress the pistons in order to make more space for thick new pads, the reservoir will overflow and spill brake fluid (which can dissolve paint in your engine compartment and generally cause a mess).

Worn Pads:



Compressing the Piston which drives fluid back into the reservoir:



New pads (notice how much thicker)



Since you may have never replaced the brake pads youself, you wouldn't appreciate the fact that when you take a wheel off the car, brake dust is everywhere and makes a mess. See all that brake pad material on the pads? It gets worn down and has nowhere to go other than inside the wheel. If you've ever seen a NASCAR race, when they take the wheels off during a pit stop, it looks like about a cup of brake dust falls out of the wheel when they take a wheel off.

I don't think the Mechanic sabotaged your brakes. I think you owe HIM a favor!
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2017, 01:30 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 74
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
I think it's a coincidence. I've never heard of a shop spraying callipers. Thats an odd request. No?
I think you're right. It be a coincidence. There hasn't been any break work done on the car in years.

You would think it's odd to request a shop to paint your calipers. However, I took some calipers to the same shop to have them installed. When I went to get my car, they had painted the calipers. Too bad one pair didn't fit the car and I had to return red calipers to the supplier. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If you are asking this then perhaps your best advise is to take it to a shop that specializes in brakes. I.e Sears,Firestone,etc.

There are far to many conditions and dozens of Q&A that could be done on your thread but without any member physically looking at your PT it would all be speculation and guessing.

BTW in most every state a shop that actively does what you are suggesting can be fined and or charged with minor misdemeanor and even in some cases a felony. So the thought that any licence shop "fricked" up a customer brakes deliberately is not reasonable.
Unfortunately, this shop is a little shady. Decent work with cash, under the table deals. I have some details and an update below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
First, it appears that you are saying this is happening on both front brakes and not just one?

If me, I would top off the brake fluid, clean the front wheels and drive the car and see if the issue goes away. The shop may have opened the caliper bleeders while compressing the caliper pistons before re-installation. That could be why the fluid is now low if the shop did not top it off as they should have. And the brake dust and bits may just be the pads re-seating. If so, the issue will quickly go away.

But if there is no joy after this, take your PT back to your friend, tell what you tried and ask him to look at the brakes again. If a friend and a real mechanic, he should be willing to look to assure he didn't make any mistakes.
Yep. Both front and back.

Instead of just topping the fluid off I decided to flush it. It was fairly clean.

I also picked up pads and rotors as well. Well... I found the source of at least one issue. A caliper pin on the driver's side was seized. The pads had a lot of material on them however.

One rear drum had unusual wear on one shoe. On the same drum, the adjuster was seized.

I picked up drums, shoes and cylinders for the rear as well.


rsrocket1, the pads were fine. No leaking from the calipers, hoses or cylinders. I'm replacing calipers as well, however.

Stay tuned... I find more problems as I peel the onion.


Question: What are you all using for rear adjusters? Stock or automatic adjusting?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2017, 01:54 pm
NitroPT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA kalyfornia
Posts: 16,000
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

Sounds (reads) like you should have just started and done the work yourself from the get go?
__________________
To view larger pictures simply "click " on the picture!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2017, 02:06 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 74
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Sounds (reads) like you should have just started and done the work yourself from the get go?
Yep. I was planning on it, but not this week.

I need to find rear adjusters now. None the dealers in the area has them. The parts stores only have the automatic adjusting ones. I'm not sure if I should use the automatic adjusting adjusters or order stock adjusters.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2017, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

I need to find rear adjusters now. None the dealers in the area has them. The parts stores only have the automatic adjusting ones. I'm not sure if I should use the automatic adjusting adjusters or order stock adjusters.

What's the difference? I've been fooling with cars for 45 years and have never heard of such a thing as "stock adjusters". Can you elaborate?
Busted_PT likes this.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08 Aug 2017, 06:30 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 74
Default Re: Front Brakes - Mechanic Sabotage on Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I need to find rear adjusters now. None the dealers in the area has them. The parts stores only have the automatic adjusting ones. I'm not sure if I should use the automatic adjusting adjusters or order stock adjusters.

What's the difference? I've been fooling with cars for 45 years and have never heard of such a thing as "stock adjusters". Can you elaborate?
I don't know the the difference. I assume the self adjusting ones are adjusted with the e-brake and not by a screw driver or brake spoon through a the slot on the bake of the drum's back plate.

The nuts on the adjuster bolts are rusted and won't turn.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Front Disc Brakes and Front Bumper? HackMATTr General PT Cruiser Discussions 12 14 Feb 2011 12:58 am
PT cruiser only has front brakes? ProDigit General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 29 Jan 2011 03:16 pm
Replacing front brakes tm05cruiser General PT Cruiser Discussions 7 21 Apr 2008 10:24 pm
Sabotage? Mel K General Turbo Discussions 7 25 Jan 2005 12:07 am
Squeaking Front Brakes!! badkitty Wheels, Tires, Suspension 1 24 Sep 2003 07:08 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors