PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New fan motor now AC compressor will not come on.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2017, 11:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New fan motor now AC compressor will not come on.

I have posted before about my 02 running rough, long and short of it, previous owner installed new timing belt very incorectly. Fixed that, still runs like doo-doo. Anyway, I have an 02 base model 5sp, new problem, cruising down the highway at 65 mph come to a hill and the AC would instantly blow hot then cool off after 20 or 30 seconds, the at slower speeds it started running hot and the fan was not working. Got it home, let it cool check to see if I had power to it. Pulled the connector (I won't go into reasons) reconnected it, fan was working when AC was on. Turned AC off let it warm up to operating temp, fan came on. Took it for a spin, overheated because fan was not working. I figured a quick Google would help, everything said same thing, 1000's of people had the same problem, replaced all the cooling stuff relays, switches etc... turned out to be the fan. Brand new fan installed, it will not come on unless hot wired and my AC compressor will not engage at all. Any ideas?
Old 10 Aug 2017, 12:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New fan motor now AC compressor will not come on.

Have you checked your engine coolant temperature sensor?

Have you checked to make sure you have enough freon in your A/C. Sometimes if the radiator fan is not working for a while the A/C gets too much pressure and releases some of the freon so it will not engage.

Are you getting any engine trouble codes?
Old 10 Aug 2017, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After reading your post I went to check the temp sensor. It has a ground but no power, pulled the big fuse and it looked good and had power to it, relays all have power to them also. The connector to the fan has ground but no power, AC and engine on no power, AC off engine almost overheating, no power, same with the temp sensor. Other than checking oil and coolant I haven't been under the hood when this started.

AC was still cooling until it ran hot that last time, I disconnected the fan, used a testlight for a wire hot when the key is on, did not find one, so I ran a wire and toggle switch st8 to the battery. The only arcing i did was starting the fan with the battery. w
When I got the fan going i noticed the compressor was not engaging.

The freon, I had to remove the AC lines for the timing belt in Feb. Vacuumed the system, let the vacuum hold for bout an hour then put 2 lbs of freon (holds 2.4 lbs) and it was cooling great until last month when cruising at 65 I come upon a hill and it instantly got hot and less than a minute to start cooling again. But now at idle, after hot wiring the fan directly to the battery with a switch, the compressor will not even kick on. I also switched the relays around, still nothing. (And yes I have HVAC pump and gauges)

Read up on this a little. The fan comes on every time the AC comes on. At 35mph the fan turns off and the wind through the grill is enough to cool the engine, if the engine gets hot enough at higher speeds then the high speed fan relay kicks the fan on.

After all the trouble with this car I'm bout ready for a gallon of gas and a match!
Old 10 Aug 2017, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwhill2010 View Post
After reading your post I went to check the temp sensor. It has a ground but no power, pulled the big fuse and it looked good and had power to it, relays all have power to them also. The connector to the fan has ground but no power, AC and engine on no power, AC off engine almost overheating, no power, same with the temp sensor. Other than checking oil and coolant I haven't been under the hood when this started.

AC was still cooling until it ran hot that last time, I disconnected the fan, used a testlight for a wire hot when the key is on, did not find one, so I ran a wire and toggle switch st8 to the battery. The only arcing i did was starting the fan with the battery. w
When I got the fan going i noticed the compressor was not engaging.

The freon, I had to remove the AC lines for the timing belt in Feb. Vacuumed the system, let the vacuum hold for bout an hour then put 2 lbs of freon (holds 2.4 lbs) and it was cooling great until last month when cruising at 65 I come upon a hill and it instantly got hot and less than a minute to start cooling again. But now at idle, after hot wiring the fan directly to the battery with a switch, the compressor will not even kick on. I also switched the relays around, still nothing. (And yes I have HVAC pump and gauges)

Read up on this a little. The fan comes on every time the AC comes on. At 35mph the fan turns off and the wind through the grill is enough to cool the engine, if the engine gets hot enough at higher speeds then the high speed fan relay kicks the fan on.

After all the trouble with this car I'm bout ready for a gallon of gas and a match!
Have you just checked to make sure you have enough Freon?
Old 10 Aug 2017, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It has plenty of freon, i had topped it off with that last .4 lbs. I guess I need to change the title to this thread to "new fan will not come on at all". I did test to see if it works by use of direct wire to the battery. The fan has become a secondary problem. The last time I drove it I think I blew the head gasket, it now idles funny, water light comes on and there are traces of water in the oil.

It's raining buckets right now so I will check this out tomorrow. Right now I'm so mad I could chew nails and shit ball bearings.
Old 10 Aug 2017, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to hear you might have a blown head gasket. I am very surprised when your old radiator fan started cutting out that the PCM did not trigger the engine trouble codes like mine did. When my radiator fans on both of my Pt Cruisers went bad they both triggered the P0490 and/or P0491 code. I immediately stopped driving the Pt Cruiser until I had my new radiator fan come in each time. Now I can a brand new spare in the garage.

Did you check the radiator fan relays. I had one of radiator fan relays not work properly. Also check the radiator fan plug. Make sure you are making good contact. Some members have had problems with the plug.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Aug 2017 at 11:08 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, glad to say I was wrong about the head gasket. I got out my volt meter and test light and tested both high and low speed relays and the AC relay, all good. Pulled the 40 amp fuse, did ohms check, fuse good. Temp sending unit is working because the gauge and the light both work like they should. Main problem still remains, no power to the fan at all, ground is good just no power on high or low side.

From what I have read and seen on this forum, the PCM is what triggers the grounds that activate things in general. I am wondering if that might be the problem.

I did put too much freon in the system but I took care of that.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PCM controls the radiator fan with inputs from:

Engine coolant temperature
A/C pressure transducer
Ambient temperature
Vehicle speed
Transmission oil transmission (automatic only)

You would need to make sure none of the inputs is causing the radiator fan not to come on.

Are you sure you have no engine trouble codes?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Aug 2017 at 09:06 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just had trouble codes checked. P1489 high speed relay. P1490 low speed relay. P0645 AC clutch relay. P1495 evaporative emissions pump (fuel cap). P1698 automatic transmission module (I got 5 sp). P0403 EGR.

For all 3 relays it says same thing, bad relay, bad connection or shor between relay and components. Relays have been checked with hot wires and multimeter, they work. The connectors don't have power to them at all. A short? I don't see how there can suddenly become a short between the 2 fan relays and the fan at the same time then a few days later same thing happen to the AC clutch. Also I'm not sure how to find both ends of the wires in question.

As I was typing that I think I figured that part out. Check for continuity between hot wire on the connector and the point under the relay where voltage is sent to the component. I do know voltage is getting to the relays, but I don't know if the voltage is not getting to the components or if the relays are not being activated to begin with.
The relay is there to activate a heavier duty switch and I know the relay works.
How do I find out if the relay is being activated? If it is being activated, how do I find out if the switch being activated by the relay has power? I don't think there is a short (although I will check that) and it seems more logical that since the PCM is what turns on the relays and I don't hear or feel the relays clicking on, that the PCM should be the problem. Please tell me what you think.

Evan pump, not worried about it right now.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P1489 High Speed Fan CTRL Relay Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in the control circuit of the high-speed radiator fan control relay.

The high speed on the radiator cooling fan is turned on and off by a relay. The PCM has detected a problem in the control portion of this relay. The control portion is the magnetic coil that moves the contacts to open of close–the contacts that feed power to the high speed side of the cooling fan. This code can be the result of a poor ground at the relay, a short to ground in the wiring harness, or a short in the coil itself.

If you have checked the high speed relay and it checks out good I would suggest you check for a short to ground in the wiring harness.

Did you manually apply 12 volts to the low and high speed on the old radiator fan and the new radiator fan before putting the new radiator in the Pt Cruiser?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Aug 2017 at 05:00 pm.