• 1 Post By rob302
  • 4 Post By wb2kki
  • 2 Post By rob302
  • 2 Post By wb2kki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Default rear drum brake noise

A few weeks ago I had the ebrake cables replaced along with the backing plates and new wheel cylinders, and hardware.

After being parked I hear like a chattering noise coming from the back brake applied after a while it goes away. I pulled the drums and everything looks OK. Cleaned everything and ok for a day and the noise is back.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

06 PT Cruiser base non turbo.

Mike
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: rear drum brake noise

Did they grease the little bump outs on the backing plate and the other contact points? Does it seem adjusted right when you pull the parking brake lever? No grease or not adjusted right would be my guesses if you are sure it's assembled right
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2kki View Post
A few weeks ago I had the ebrake cables replaced along with the backing plates and new wheel cylinders, and hardware.

After being parked I hear like a chattering noise coming from the back brake applied after a while it goes away. I pulled the drums and everything looks OK. Cleaned everything and ok for a day and the noise is back.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

06 PT Cruiser base non turbo.

Mike
You say "chattering" - mine (the 01 petrol) has always creaked and clicked (slowly sometimes, quickly other times) after the handbrake has been pulled up

I've had it all apart and satisfied myself that it holds the car on a hill, and left it at that. One of them "old car" things... if it works, leave it alone (IMHO)
Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Did they grease the little bump outs on the backing plate and the other contact points? Does it seem adjusted right when you pull the parking brake lever? No grease or not adjusted right would be my guesses if you are sure it's assembled right
+1 on assuring grease on the baking plates. That may cause the shoes to bind after the parking brake has been applied and released. The parking brake cable might be binding and not easily releasing as well or it's just adjusting itself too tight as Rob suggested. I had to change out the lever mechanism in one of my PT's because of this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Aug 2017 at 01:47 pm.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 09:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks all for the reply!
Did not look like they greased the backing plate points.
Though it looks like the parking brake retracts, a little slow but the wheels release right away and rolls.
I did think of leaving it alone and I don't want to take it back and sure they will try to sell me new brakes. If that's the case rather just replace them myself and save an uber amount of money.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 10:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Conclusion:
Just to let you guy's know, sure enough NO LUBE! Lubed them up and no noise checked for three days.

Got to have a talk with my mechanic!
Old 18 Aug 2017, 10:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

happy it's better now.

i'd go easy on him. when you have the best(or only) mechanic in the shop doing the work, people constantly interrupt them with questions, comments, questions, phone calls, questions, etc, no matter how many times he tells them not to.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 09:17 am
Cool Cruiser

This is a local franchise so the techs have a firewall. The place is great as it is convenient, and they stand by there work, and honest.
However, lately I'm not even making it out of the parking lot and they cost as much as the dealer now. Quality has gone down and I need to let the manager know it is not a good thing. I what to continue with them but I can't keep going back and forth.
Carnut and rob302 like this.