Advertisements
Knocking in front

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Knocking in front

Hey everyone,

Seems like issue after issue with this....

But most are gone now....

Currently, After replacing the Front Struts, CV Joints, CV Boots, Sway Bars/links, there is a bad knocking noise whenever I go over bumps in the road. I have checked the Ball Joints and Control Arms, they look alright and haven't noticed anything knocking about, Had the car on the lift and wiggled the wheels, nothing.... the Struts and CV joints have been replaced/warrantied 3 times now. The knocking seems to be coming from the struts but I don't see how that is possible? Any thoughts?

Next option is to take it to the Dealer if I can't find anything.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Knocking in front

The struts..were they a complete assembly or did you reuse your springs. To check..There is a proper installation that must be followed or it may be possible the springs may be making noises? I wonder why the shop would simply warranty parts them so many times without verifying they were defective....hmmm??? No need to answer just commenting out loud.

The down side is if you cant find it with having the PT up in the air on a lift than a forum is not going to be helpful except to go down the list of every potential part in the front suspension?

I would say on a new day with a fresh start get it back up on the rack and reinspect everything again? You WILL find the cause of the noise!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Aug 2017 at 10:43 am.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 09:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

i would temporarily remove one of the swaybar end links and see if the noise persists
Old 11 Aug 2017, 09:26 am
Senior Cruiser

I would recheck the struts and strut mounts like NitroPT suggested. Especially if you didn't replace the complete assembly.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 11 Aug 2017, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The bushings on the sway bar mounting brackets. If you can move that bar any at all in that bushing. That's your moise. Like an earlier post said. If you disconnect the end links and noise stops. That's the proof that the mounting bushings are bad.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Aug 2017, 09:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

NitroPT- The struts were a complete assembly. It's going back on a lift on Tuesday for new Rims, Tirres and TPM's that were bought about a month ago and will re-evaluate every part of the suspension....

Rob302- Isn't the sway bar needed to drive the car on the road? Or do you mean just remove it on the lift and see if the problem persists? I am assuming the latter of the 2. If so, When its on a lift, we cannot recreate the knocking noise no matter what we do. Well, Technically the only thing we have not done yet on the lift is lift the tire up a bit and just let it drop which I thought about doing but didnt know if that would cause any damage to any part.

VsandFords- this is currently the 3rd pair of struts now but will check the strut mounts. not sure if those were checked.

Busted_PT- will do this and see what happens Tuesday.

Currently the car is sitting in my garage waiting until Tuesday.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 04:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Like the earlier posters said, check the sway bar bushings. I had an annoying random thumping on our Neon. I went to replace the sway bar links and removed them both. When I did, the sway bar just flopped (rotated) down in the bushings where it connects to the body. I could take the sway bar and rattle it around in the bushings. "There's your thumping" I thought. It's hard to diagnose bad sway bar bushings when the links are installed. With the links installed, the sway bar is firmly loaded against the bushings and will seem tight.
Old 12 Aug 2017, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You don't need the sway bar in order to drive the car. I removed mine off the GT and didn't really notice much difference at all. I left it off for about a month until I could afford to order the new bushings and end links for it. Don'l let ANYONE tell you otherwise.
NitroPT likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 05:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

So, just got new rims and tires put on today. I had the tires and rims for about a month now but didnt want to install them with the current issues.

The knocking right now is still there however, not as noticeable as it was before. New rims and tires quieted it down quite a bit. Again, Sway Bar and Links looked good from what they said but didnt have much time today so, we will be looking into it next week.

Also, for those who remember me complaining about Vibration at high speeds.....That is now resolved thanks to new rims and tires. Figured out that all 4 of those previous rims were bent to shit and the tires were cupped and 1 was out of round. Thankfully, all is good now and was told that the knocking is not going to interfere with the wear on my tires.

From what I can tell, CV Shafts/joints, struts, ball joints, and alignment are key to cause wear and none of those seem to be an issue.

Oh well, Take it day by day but all I know and care about right now is that that cursed vibration is FINALLY GONE!
rckstein likes this.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 06:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Kick the front tire where the noise is coming from, kick it right where the outer tie rod would be, if you can recreate the knocking by just kicking the tire right there by the tie rod it could be the tie rod. That's how I found out what was knocking on my dream cruiser. GL.