PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horn on sonstantly

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2017, 11:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Horn on sonstantly

I'm not sure which category to put this bizarre problem in. But I would be grateful for assistance in getting my horn working properly again.

My car has been running just fine for the past year and a half until this morning. While I was inside my house, the horn sounded continuously for no good reason. I doubt that someone was trying to break in as my trusty aftermarket alarm never went off.

The only way I could get it to stop was disconnecting the battery.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Last edited by 044400; 13 Aug 2017 at 06:28 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 12:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Horn on sonstantly

Maybe a short tripping the relay.
044400 and cloudhidd3n like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you haven't modified the system with an anti-theft system or something, I'd suspect the clock spring. If me, I try turning the steering wheel to see if the horn ever stops If so I'd know it's the clockspring.

If not, I'd pull the horn relay under the hood. I'd check to see if it's being constantly triggered with a multi-meter, not a test light. If so, I'd inspect all the wiring I could for a short.

If no luck, I'd disconnect the battery and pop open the panel below the steering column. Using the wiring diagram in the service manual, I'd find the leads from the horn and I would use my multi-meter to check for continuity. If there's continuity, I'd pull the steering wheel air bag. That's a beast if you've never done it on a 1st Gen PT.

Once the air bag is removed and uplugged, I'd check continuity again. If the continuity is gone I'd know it's in the switch at the air bag. That's not serviceable unless you like things that go boom. Luckily, salvage yards have plenty. If the continuity remains, I'd suspect the clockspring again.

Of course, you may find something that takes you in a different direction. But these are things I'd consider under the conditions described.
chuzz and 044400 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Aug 2017 at 01:11 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Try tapping the center of the steering wheel where the actual horn "button" is. It might have stuck in the open position and a little "kung foo" wack might free it up.
As advised, check for a short in the power lead to the horn relay. You might let it blow till a fuse burns out. Then trace back from there to find the short. Look for a common denominator. As you say this has just begun. Good luck.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser and 044400 like this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
I'm not sure which category to put this bizarre problem in. But I would be grateful for assistance in getting my horn working properly again.

My car has running just fine for the past year and a half until morning. While I was inside my house, the horn sounded continuously for no good reason. I doubt that someone was trying to break in as my trusty aftermarket alarm never went off.

The only way I could get it to stop was disconnecting the battery.

Has anyone encountered this before?
Does the aftermarket alarm have a siren or is it hooked up to the horn..??
Where does it get power from..??
Handy_Cruiser and 044400 like this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Aug 2017, 01:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Does the aftermarket alarm have a siren or is it hooked up to the horn..??
Where does it get power from..??
LionPT is the man.

Didn't catch that. I need better glasses I guess. I'd say there's a 90% chance this is related to the anti-theft system.
Old 11 Aug 2017, 02:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thank you for contributions so far. I am usually one to jump on a problem to get it figured out ASAP. But my motivation is down, I've had the flu for the past 2 days. The last thing I wanted to be around is a horn with my banging headache.

I just find it strange that a short would develop spontaneously. But crazier things have happened. I hope I don't have a hairy beast sharpening it's teeth on my wiring.

The aftermarket alarm is separate from the horn.

The clock spring did cross my mind. If so, I won't be putting out dollars for a new one. Thank you for the tip, when I feel better I will chase that down too. I will try turning left and right to see if that has any effect.

Horn relay, maybe? I might end up pulling it just so I can drive.

Kung Fu on the steering button. If that is the fix then I would be left wondering if it will happen again one day young grasshopper.

So far all I've done is use my alarm remote button, key on/off and finally disconnect the battery then retreated back into the solitude of my dwelling to take more ibuprofen.

Last edited by 044400; 13 Aug 2017 at 06:26 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 06:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am feeling much better, thank you.

I've been driving with the horn relay out. I spent some time working on the little car today. While rotating tires, I pulled back the fender liner, the horn and horn wires looked fine. I pulled the horn fuse then put the relay back in then put the fuse back in. No constant horn sounding! Horn only works when I press the horn button. Everything working good like it should with the hood up or down.

Hmmm...
rckstein and Gkon like this.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 08:46 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 044400 View Post
I am feeling much better, thank you.

I've been driving with the horn relay out. I spent some time working on the little car today. While rotating tires, I pulled back the fender liner, the horn and horn wires looked fine. I pulled the horn fuse then put the relay back in then put the fuse back in. No constant horn sounding! Horn only works when I press the horn button. Everything working good like it should with the hood up or down.

Hmmm...
When I first got SOOO BIG I inadvertently set off the panic alarm as I was carrying the remote and key in my pocket. Fumbling in my pocket for remote and key I pressed the remote incorrectly causing the horn to start blaring. I stopped the horn blaring by pressing the remote saving me from the embarrassment of my error. I now hook my remote and keys on a belt loop with a caribiner to prevent this.

Perhaps all your futzing successfully reset the horn alarm.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 10:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
When I first got SOOO BIG I inadvertently set off the panic alarm as I was carrying the remote and key in my pocket. Fumbling in my pocket for remote and key I pressed the remote incorrectly causing the horn to start blaring. I stopped the horn blaring by pressing the remote saving me from the embarrassment of my error. I now hook my remote and keys on a belt loop with a caribiner to prevent this.

Perhaps all your futzing successfully reset the horn alarm.

Happy PTin', ptprice
I was not aware of any setting or resetting of the horn alarm. It is my understanding this is the factory 'alarm'. In the past, I have simply inserted the key into the ignition to make it stop.