PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Convert foglights to fulltime driving lights?

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2017, 03:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Convert foglights to fulltime driving lights?

The combination switch on my 2005 'vert Turbo GT has developed a 'twitchy' short that turns it on whenever it feels like. This has resulted in a dead battery twice.

I have zero desire to dig in and replace the stalk/switch, as everything else works fine. I want to rewire the lights so they come on with the ignition switch, and can act as full time driving lights, I'll even save a few bucks on my insurance.

So, where is the best place to interrupt the switch circuit, and jump to a suitable switch-on power source?

Mahalo, Smitty
VsandFords likes this.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Convert foglights to fulltime driving lights?

This is very common in 1st Gen PT's. You multi-function switch is failing. Due to the poor design of this switch, when a certain internet plastic part wears down, it causes the fog lights to come on.

To solve the problem temporarily, just pull the fog light fuse. In all likelihood, your lights will continue to work normally but you will not have fog lights.

The long term fix to either change out the multi-function switch or repair it. I have threads on how to do both. With the low cost of replacement switches nowadays, I recommend just getting a new one.

The "Handy" Multifunction Switch Install

The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Aug 2017 at 04:15 pm.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I've done this repair on other cars. In this case I'm sure it's just the pull-out part of the switch that is worn out. I did pull the fuse, and I forget what else died too, but it wasn't acceptable.

But I want the driving lights, that's why I'm asking for jumping the circuits help. I'm pretty sure I could dig around and kludge something up, but I'm certain that someone can show/tell me the best way.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 05:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've done this on my '01 LE. I cut the wire going from the MFS to the lights. Number 13, I think, in the wiring diagram of the connector at the MFS. Santanadarma has this posted somewhere. I tapped into the fuse panel under the dash on the left of the steering wheel, added a relay and a toggle switch. The driving light symbol lights up when the switch is on. I like it better because I can run them whenever I want.

There are two wires in the connector at the MFS that work the driving lights. Number 13 and 14. One is power in to the headlights and driving lights and the other is power out to the driving lights only.
rckstein, Gkon and wingman55 like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 13 Aug 2017, 08:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Indeed, my OEM fogs are now 'always-on' driving lights that are switched through a relay that is controlled by an ignition circuit. Fuse #8 still protects the circuit.

The MFS fog light function can easily be replaced by installing a switch or a controlled relay between the wires at #13 (pink/light green) and #14 (light blue) pins at the MFS connector. I used the empty (heated seats) relay space in my dash fuse block; ran the necessary wires and tapped an ignition hot fuse circuit to drive the relay coil.

I also modified my instrument panel so the green fog-lite indicator is not on all the time. It is now on only with the low-beams, and the blue idiot-lite is on only with the high-beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
I've done this on my '01 LE. ... I tapped into the fuse panel under the dash on the left of the steering wheel, added a relay and a toggle switch. The driving light symbol lights up when the switch is on. I like it better because I can run them whenever I want.
There are two wires in the connector at the MFS that work the driving lights. Number 13 and 14. One is power in to the headlights and driving lights and the other is power out to the driving lights only.
Respectfully, the two wires serve only the fog light circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8W-50 Fog Lite fuse.jpg (38.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 13 Aug 2017, 09:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Re: Convert foglights to fulltime driving lights?
First I want it noted I read NO FURTHER responses beyond the threads title and only slightly the first response.

To answer the threads title is easy.
Go get a wiring diagram to install aftermarket running, fog or driving light and follow the instruction. You only need to the power the newly added power rely by spicing ANY activation power lead from either headlight on GEN 1 PT Cruiser. But I think you will find this information as I suggested.

Any other fix or modification is not really advisable utilizing the OEM wiring for head light and fog/driving lights through the OEM MFS.

Play it safe do it the best way separate the power supply totally from the OEM MSF to the head and fog lights and use it only as a low voltage power activation lead.

BTW we have added on several PT Cruiser a separate head light power operating rely to the the OEM GEN 1 MFS curing ALL the OEM issues with it. I just never posted this before. One of those PT Cruiser secrets I normally dont mention on open forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Aug 2017 at 09:15 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismiths View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've done this repair on other cars. In this case I'm sure it's just the pull-out part of the switch that is worn out. I did pull the fuse, and I forget what else died too, but it wasn't acceptable.

But I want the driving lights, that's why I'm asking for jumping the circuits help. I'm pretty sure I could dig around and kludge something up, but I'm certain that someone can show/tell me the best way.

Sorry I misread your question this morning.

If me, I'd download the service manual. The front end electrical is in part 8W-50. Here's a link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

You will need to confirm this yourself, but I believe the fog light wire from the MFS is light blue. The front park lamp wire is yellow/black. At this point coming from the MFS the wires charge both left and right lights so there's no issue. If you cut the fog light wire and splice into the front park lamp wire, the fog lights should behave as you want. Since both wires trigger relays downstream, they should not create too much draw on the park lamp circuit. And I see no chance for a feedback. No extra wire, no extra relays required. The original factory relays should work as before.

But again, study the wiring diagram in 8W-50 and come to your own conclusion.
JDK52 likes this.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 08:59 pm
Banned

There are DRL kits for the Gen1, but not for the Gen2 because of the CANbus system.

But whenever I get into my PT, I just turn on the driving and parking lights. I've been doing it for so long now that I don't even have to think about it.

My PT didn't originally come with the driving lights, but they were added by the dealer before I picked it up. But I believe that the normal configuration is that you can't have them on unless the headlights are also on. But on mine I can have them on without the headlights. So for DRL I have the parking and driving lights on. But because I run them all the time, a set of bulbs only last maybe 18-24 months before needing replacement and I replace them in pairs because if one went, the other can't be far behind.

Last edited by rckstein; 15 Aug 2017 at 12:03 am.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

The MFS on my cruiser didn't work when I got the Cruiser so I decided to install a new rocker switch (round one) and installed it in the lower dash in the blank spot between the traction control and rear wiper buttons. The switch fits flush and looks like it was meant to be there.

I tapped into the left front driving light using a quick splice. My power wire is fused and also runs through a relay. When connecting to the positive wire for the left front driving light power was also supplied to the right driving light

As a bonus when my driving lights are turned on the dash indicator also is lit.
Old 02 Sep 2017, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

AUWE!* Thanks for all the great feedback, looks like I have a lot of options. I like the convenience of the parking light circuit, but I want just the driving lights, not the parking lights front and rear. I'm in Whitefish, MT this summer, but will get on it as soon as I'm back to Kona.

I'll be fixing the few little todo's on the PT, in prep for both selling it and our '06 Subaru Outback. We're taking an extended Europe trip, and will get a new ride over there, or when we get back to the states. I'll prolly still lurk here, just because of the general good vibes and info useful for all cars. Besides, I may finally locate a good donor PT and build my new age Hilo Sampan (see sketch in my gallery ... I'm toO clueless to insert photo).

* Hawaiian for WOW!

Last edited by hismiths; 02 Sep 2017 at 10:05 am. Reason: added stuff

Tags
fog lights, switched power source