PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Seriously 15 Codes

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2017, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Seriously 15 Codes

I'm new here, Darla from Texas. Desperately seeking any advice, tips, suggestions.
Bought first PT Cruiser in 06 new, normal wear & tear until December when a huge 10 point buck decided to meet me in the middle of highway, totaled the Cruiser.
Bought a used 06 Pt Cruiser Touring Addition and randomly the battery light would come on, nothing was effected, just the light on.
Then a few times going down the highway it would start cutting out, almost like it was starving for fuel. If I would slow down it would be fine, but upon accelerating above 60 it would start again. The check engine light would come on. Get to my designation and the next start everything would be fine, and the check engine light would be off. This only happened a few times in 4 - 6 months.
The last time it happened I was on my way somewhere but when I left the light was off & everything was fine. I let someone borrow it the next day and when she got back she said the RPM were running high, I go drive it and it is limp mode now, everything else seems to be fine, it just will not change gears.
Fearing the transmission was out I took it to a shop, they say the transmission is fine and gave me this list of codes. It was at my mechanics for a month or more and it still hasn't even been looked at ( he had 3 mechanics quit). Anyway I limped it back home. And seeking advice now. I need to keep cost down as much as possible.
Here are the codes the transmission shop gave me.
P063a - generator voltage sense circuit
P0700 - transmission control system
P0340 - camshaft position sensor circuit
P1684 - battery was disconnected
P0765 - underdrive solenoid circuit
P0760 - overdrive solenoid control circuit
P0882 - tcm power input low
B2106 - ignition run/start 1 control circuit open
P128d - tcm power control circuit 2 open
B210e - battery voltage high
B2104 - ignition run/start 1 control circuit low
B210d - battery low voltage
P128b - tcm power control circuit 2 low
P128e - tcm power control circuit 2 over current
Thank you in advance for any thing anyone can help with.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Seriously 15 Codes

Has anyone disconnected the battery for a few minutes to see if it would clear the codes, and go out of limp mode?

How old is the battery? I had an issue a while back where actual LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE ( I notice you have one code about that!) was making the ECU throw all kinds of spurious codes. A new battery solved that issue...
ShinerJohn likes this.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 11:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First of all Welcome to the forum. You might want to introduce yourself to the forum on the welcome thread.

The second I would suggest first checking as posted that your battery and battery contacts are good. Take the battery cables off and clean both battery cables. Take the battery caps off and check to see if you battery fluid levels are okay. If you have a voltmeter check to see if your battery is at 12.5 volts or higher. If not borrow a battery charger and fully charge it. See if does hold a full charge. If the battery is okay start the engine and see if the battery voltage 13.5 or higher at an idle. Post what battery voltage you get.

Third, after you are done with the battery and battery cables you will need to reset the engine trouble codes. You might ask a friend if they might have an OBDII Scan Tool that you can borrow to reset the engine trouble codes. Do not think that disconnecting the battery cable will reset the codes. You will still need to reset the engine trouble codes with the OBDII Scan Tool. See if you can borrow a Scan Tool until you are finish fixing the issues with the PT Cruiser.

Fourth, after all the above has been done, check the wires and contacts going to the Camshaft sensor. Make sure they are good. If wires and contacts are good check the Camshaft sensor to see if it is working properly. This could possibly cause the engine to cut out and go into limp mode at 60 mph.

At this point after Camshaft sensor has been validated to be working properly check the engine trouble codes again. Some of the transmission codes might have triggered by low battery voltage or the Camshaft sensor not working properly.

We are here 24/7 to help you get your Pt Cruiser back on the road with plenty of members here to help you. Before you do anything at all that is not mentioned on this thread make sure you post what you plan to do so we can make sure you are going in the right direction.
Fk5 and earthworm like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Aug 2017 at 11:52 pm.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I disconnected the battery for a hour, still same issue. Check engine light is off but comes back on within a few minutes, and still in limp mode. I will try another battery tomorrow.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlaD View Post
I disconnected the battery for a hour, still same issue. Check engine light is off but comes back on within a few minutes, and still in limp mode. I will try another battery tomorrow.
You will continue to be in possible limp mode for P0340 code until you get an OBDII Scan Tool and reset the engine trouble codes. If your Camshaft wires, contacts, or the Camshaft sensor is not working properly the code P0340 will come back. I recommend you follow my post #3 in the order I have posted starting with cleaning the battery cables..
earthworm likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 14 Aug 2017 at 12:17 am.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 03:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Just a thought. With so many codes, I'd look through the wiring diagrams and try to find a common ground for the affected sensors. If the common ground was connected back to the PCM and it broke or was intermittent, I suspect it would play havoc with all the sensors connected. Electrical problems are fun. Good luck.
JDK52 likes this.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 06:25 am
Senior Cruiser

From the sounds of it, you may have a failed/failing TIPM (Totally Intergrated Power Module). The classic signs are the cutting out and gauges going dead while driving. Of course the cutting out and suden repower can cause havoc with the sensors and PCM and generate all of the crazy codes you have found which are likely all false and caused by the power spikes. The 2nd gen cars are more sensitive to electrical issues than the first generation cars. The failed TIPMs are seemingly common on the 06 model year. That is the year I seem to always read about failed TIPM.

Forum member rckstein has recently posted about replacing his TIPM and the signs and symptoms. You could send him a message to discuss.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 07:14 am
Banned

I'm not saying to immediately start throwing parts into your PT. You may want to take it to a shop for a proper diagnostic.

But if you do find that you need a replacement TIPM, I would recommend the Dorman from RockAuto. If you use the drop down menus on their website, it currently only shows 1 CARDONE TIPM available for your '06. But if you put in the search box the Dorman part number 599909, which is the correct TIPM as I had a chat session with Dorman Customer Service when the RockAuto website had originally listed a different Dorman part number which does not exist. They have since revised their website removing the incorrect part.

But this is the correct one:

DORMAN 599909 Power Supply Module (TIPM) | RockAuto

It was basically plug & play with a very simple programming sequence.

Also, if you find that your PT needs a replacement PCM, a few months ago I purchased one from this source:

Chrysler PT CRUISER Engine Computer Module ECM PCM ECU - "Plug & Play" | eBay

It's a little higher now, it was $150 when I purchased mine. It too was plug & play as they program the VIN into the unit.

Good luck with your PT, hope you get things worked out.
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the advice & suggestions. I am going to try finding a voltmeter and OBDII scan tool to borrow today and start with what rockandroller & ptcruisersteve suggested.
When I purchased the crusier I did not see it until I got home 2 hour drive later, but the seller forgot to take out a battery charger from the back, at the time I wondered why he had it in there and now I wonder if he also was having problems or battery issues. This was in December and it has never failed to crank, even now it cranks just fine. No slow start or loss of power that I can detect by driving.
Now it needs to stop with the thunderstorms so I can try the above suggestions. Will post when I know more.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 08:45 am
Cool Cruiser

I'd look at battery overall life, and possible alternator output. If the Alternator is dieing, it won't fully charge the battery under load, and can significantly shorten the life of the battery.

Edit: double check alternator. If the battery was the problem, and the alternator was fine, there should be no issue with cutting out while driving as the alternator would power the car while it is running.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)