Death of my PT

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Death of my PT

Sad news, fellow PTers.

My PT Cruiser has died.

While parked out front of my apartment in the street, where it has been parked every night for the past 6+ months. It was hit in the middle of the night.
PTdamagefar.jpgPTdamage.jpg
I called the police and my insurance, had to call out of work for the day.
The police wrote me a report, and the insurance set a date (2 days later) to inspect and estimate the damage for repair (have full coverage).

The verdict was..... Totaled.

The damage exceeded the estimated $2259 value of the car, (boosted by some of the factory additions). So because "reasons" (law, insurance rule, I duno) it was totaled. They gave me 3 options, $2009 for the car, $1609 and I keep the car with a salvage title I can't drive it on, or withdraw the claim and loose full coverage on the car and dirty looks for ever from them.

So I began the search for a new PT (because i had so much in parts I could carry over) (and because I like PT's). I wanted an 05' red manual GT, which proved near impossible to find. I only found 3 in the entire country, 1 in Alabama with 180k miles and beat up. One in washington with 140k miles for $5000, and one in Cali with 74k miles and after talking to the guy managed to talk his asking price of $5600 down to $5000.

So I made tentative plans to fly out to cali and drive this PT back to Illinois. After securing financial support from my family, I called the guy in Cali to set up purchasing. Bad news.... He didn't have the title. It was held by the bank he owed money to for purchasing the car for $9000 5 years ago. So I would have to pay him upfront, so he could go pay off the loan and then mail me the title. Now for those of you who don't know. You can not legally sell a vehicle you don't own the title for. There is no "proof of ownership" he could write to put the car in my name. All he would have to do is stop paying the loan and the bank could take it from me, regardless of what ever he wrote. The only way I could get it, is to have him pay off the loan, get the title, then fly out and pay him for it. Which he would not do, because I was an out of state buyer. So Dead end.

By now the insurance was starting to pressure me for a decision, so I had to widen my search to hopefully find some PT I could accept, before looking at another type of car.
I still wanted a GT manual, but not 06 or 07 (cuz ew). So i expanded my year and color choices.... very few extra results came up. Except for 2 silver PT's that had 120k miles and were beat up, and 1 result that caught my eye.

A 2004 Purple Manual GT with 78k Miles for $3900 near Detroit, close enough to drive to.
I called the salesman, talked about the condition, asked my questions. I then talked to my parents, talked to some friends, talked to my parents, and then finally approved the purple color... This all happened between a Monday and a Wednesday. So I called the salesman on wednesday to discuss purchasing. He said he "had someone else interested in it" and recommended i put the $1000 "non refundable" deposit on it. By now my family had agreed there wasnt very many GT manuals in existence to go looking for another in better shape. So we put the deposit down, I rescheduled an exam, and drove home thursday.

It should be noted, that by now the Red PT had realised we were getting rid of her, so she started to throw a fit, and began overheating for no reason. So in order to make the 6 hour drive home I had to roll all the windows down and full blast the heat on a 96 degree day. I stopped for water and it went warm within the hour, taking a cup full of ice with it.

I drove to Detroit on friday morning. Arrived about noonish local time. Looked at it up and down, left and right, until the salesman came out. We took it for a test drive.... I Pulled out into the street, and gunned it.

220HP never felt so great, definitely felt better than my shift into 2nd.

We then drove it around for a bit, before asking for it to go onto a lift, because i'm and auto tech student, I know what to look for. I inspect it all over, motor mounts good, suspension bit rusty but I had new parts ready to go into it, Brakes rust ridged gonna need to be replaced, checked for rust, checked for leaks, checked everything rubber and wearable under that car. The lower control arms and the ball joints were original, but not worn. I talked to my dad who had came with me, we both agreed that the worst part of the car was the sun faded flames stuck to the side. So we bought it.

20374215_1636739113005119_562923159442500180_n.jpg

Took it home, enjoying the much desired cruise control the whole way.
Then spent the next 3 days swapping parts between the red PT and the Purple GT, suspension, sway bars, replaced the brakes, removed the ugly flames, installed my speakers, radio, and subwoofer. swapped the 2year old battery (with 7 year warranty) from the red to the purple, which had an unknown battery. I chose to debadge the GT because the emblems were cracking and starting to peel and break. Swapped the brand new headlights I put on the red PT to the purple GT. Everything and anything that worked better on the Red PT was put onto the Purple GT. By Tuesday, everything had been swapped.

The Purple GT, nicknamed: Barney the Turbo Dinosaur by my friend, was ready.

I drove it back to my apartment, started parking in the lot next to my building, put premium in her, and drove daily to loosen her up.

The horrible shifting got better, thinking the dampening springs in the clutch had been sitting too long and froze, some driving loosened them up. I started to actually learn to drive manual with my own car, instead of the few learning drives in my friends cars.

Now I'm ready to start school and finish my final semester.
newpt.jpg
Sorry for the rotated pictures.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:35 am
Banned

Default Re: Death of my PT

Well that pretty much sucks, sorry to hear of your misfortune with your PT

Some deadbeat hit and run

It doesn't look like that much damage, but because of where it is, expensive to fix at today's body shop rates. But with the low values of the PT's, it doesn't take much damage to total them out.

But on a happier note, glad to see that you were able to find something else, that purple is a great color

I hope you get to enjoy your new-to-you PT for many years
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

I think some purple PT's came with the faded flames from the factory...except they weren't faded, just looked like they were...kinda subtle like

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Aug 2017, 06:41 am
Banned

Here's a little history on your "new" '04 from this website:

PT History

You can also view the '04 Sales Brochure on the site.

"2004 Sedan - Models were Base, Touring, Limited and GT. Exterior colors deleted were Deep Cranberry Pearl Coat, Steel Blue Pearl Coat, and Stone White Clear Coat. Added colors were Deep Plum Pearl Coat, Bright Seamist Green Metallic Clear Coat, Cool Vanilla Clear Coat, Midnight Blue and Graphite Metallic. The other 2003 colors were carried over. We also believe this year began the body colored bumpers on the base models as well as the other models. A new engine was available on the Touring and Limited models. It was a 180 hp turbocharged model available only with automatic transmission. Cruisers with this engine had "2.4L Turbo" badge on the lift gate, large diameter chrome exhaust tip, and 16-inch chrome clad aluminum wheels. These 180hp turbo models had the standard 120mph speedometer. Other changes were the optional availability of the rear spoiler on all models except the GT, it being standard on the GT. All models had the optional availability of Sirius satellite radio, and for all models but Base, the U-Connect Bluetooth hands-free cellular phone interface. The Chrome Accents optional package was expanded with bright pedals. chrome door lock buttons and Satin Silver steering wheel spokes. The Sentry Key engine immobilizer was made standard on all models. Base, Touring and Limited models optionally could have ABS front disc/rear drum brakes. Touring and Limited models with the 180hp turbo optionally could have the four-wheel ABS disc brakes and traction control that was standard on the GT. The GT now had as standard equipment, the 140 MPH speedometer, leather seats, two-way power driver's seat, power moon-roof, leather wrapped steering wheel with bright silver spokes, bright pedals, chrome door lock knobs, and a "2.4L High Output Turbo" badge on the lift-gate to signify the 220 HP turbocharged engine. The manual transaxle was standard across the lineup, with the four-speed automatic optionally available on all but the GT, as the four-speed Auto-Stick was the only automatic available on the GT. Following the introduction of the Dream Cruiser Series 3 mid-model year, two-tone exterior color schemes of Black over Bright Silver, Inferno Red, Electric Blue, Seamist Green, and Light almond were offered for the Touring and Limited models. The power door lock and power window operating buttons were no longer lighted."

How odd to omit this item.

Here's the flames:

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...dy-flames.html

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Aug 2017 at 06:44 am.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nice GT. And I LIKE the purple color. What are your plans for what's left of the red one? I'd repair it, it if were mine, then put it up for sale.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 07:21 am
Cool Cruiser

i remembered seeing that car in the local craigslist ad and on autotrader .. good for you ..
Old 14 Aug 2017, 08:34 am
Cool Cruiser

The flames were not factory, and once removed revealed a nice scratch in the driver's door. The history I found about previous owners, is 2 real owners, first in ohio for 8 years, then went up for sale, then another guy had it for 4 years.
Dealership in Detroit said the only reason it hadn't sold faster was because it was manual. Which means no one who wants a PT was looking at it, because anyone who wants a PT knows the GT Manuals are rare.

Edit: Oh and the Red one was given to insurance for the money to help pay for the new one. I don't have space to keep it, or the money to repair it for a rebuilder.
ShinerJohn likes this.

Old 14 Aug 2017, 09:16 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
The flames were not factory, and once removed revealed a nice scratch in the driver's door. The history I found about previous owners, is 2 real owners, first in ohio for 8 years, then went up for sale, then another guy had it for 4 years.
Dealership in Detroit said the only reason it hadn't sold faster was because it was manual. Which means no one who wants a PT was looking at it, because anyone who wants a PT knows the GT Manuals are rare.

Edit: Oh and the Red one was given to insurance for the money to help pay for the new one. I don't have space to keep it, or the money to repair it for a rebuilder.
And the sad thing with your "new" one, you'll probably be looking at the timing belt job, unless you have any information that it's already been done. But probably hasn't at that low of mileage.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a good "GT" emblem if you want it. I stuck it to the face of a PT backup light so the 3M tape is likely still good. It has only light scratches that can't really be seen from a few feet away. You can see it in this photo. I used the high output badge on my PT when I added the custom PCM.

The emblem is yours free gratis. Just send me a PM with your address and I'll stick it in an envelope for 1st Class snail mail delivery. If you need it faster, I think priority mail is $8. Just let me know.

And congratulations on the new PT. 2004 is a great year for the GT and the 5-speed and Plume Crazy paint make it a very special machine.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Aug 2017 at 09:54 am.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 02:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

No the timing belt has not been done, but that does give me the opportunity to change it to a gates racing belt.

Handy, while I will eventually put new badges back on.... It won't be for a while, I think the "it's just a PT" look works for now.
Makes it more fun when I blow doors off of all the kids with their 04 V6 mustangs, civics, and hondas. Ain't no VTEC gonna beat Boost!