PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What triggers the relays to activate?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2017, 01:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default What triggers the relays to activate?

Thanks for reading my post, I sure hope you can help.

I have an 02 base model, 5 speed. I will try to be brief and to the point.

It over heated, fan didn't seem to be working. Got it home, let it cool, started it up with the AC, fan was working, test drove it, again, overheated after the parts stores were closed. Googled it, everything said same thing, fan motor. Ordered one from Rockauto that night. Put the new fan motor on, didn't work. I have removed and checked fusession with a multimeter, put 12v to blades 85 and 86 on relay to get a closed circuit on blades 30 and 87 (low speed relay). The low and high speed relays refer to vehicle speed not fan speed because if you put hot wires to old and new fans both speeds are the same on both fans.

In the fuse box under the hood where the relays are, I checked the connectors the low speed relay plugs into, blades 30 and 87 always hot and a ground, blades 85 and 86 no voltage no ground. I started the engine, let it warm up to over half way on the temp gauge, still no voltage or ground on 85 or 86.

The AC stopped working also. When the fan quit the AC was still working, not good but working as long as I was driving over 40 mph. Because the high speed relay is supposed to work at high vehicle speed I don't know if it is working. I also don't know if the AC clutch relay is not working because the fan isn't working or if it's the same problem.

So right now the low speed relay is out and I have a fused switch running the fan manually until I can find out why the low voltage circuit that activates high voltage circuit on the relay is not working.

If you are chrysler mechanic or know one please hook us up before I get the gasoline and matches, because I'm sure you are aware, this ain't the first problem I have had with this vehicle. I gave up on getting it to run smoothly. (Took me 6 months to figure out the previous owner had the cam gears meeting at 10 and 2.)

Someone please help me!
Old 15 Aug 2017, 01:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What triggers the relays to activate?

I responded and added some posts to your previous thread on your questions.

New fan motor now AC compressor will not come on.
Gkon likes this.