Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating Fan issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2017, 02:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating Fan issue

I have a 2001 pt cruiser. PT is overheating due to cooling fan not work correctly. I have check my cooling fan by applying 12 volts directly to the Fan high and low speed wires and the fan works no problem. I have changed all relays AC, Fan High and Fan Low relays. Also I have change the number 5 and 12 Fuses. I have changed the A/C low pressure switch and the Senor switch below the thermostat.

What I notice.

1. If I turn on the car and let it warm up The cooling fan does not turn on. If I turn on the A/C the cooling fan turns on. however if I turn off the A/C the Cooling fan Stops.

2. If I turn the car on and let it warm up The cooling fan does not turn on. If I remote the High speed relay The cooling fan turns on with low speed. While this happen If I insert the high speed relay back in the fuse box the cooling fans continues to run. I also notice that the check engine light will come on after doing this. IF I turn the car off then back on the cooling fan will not come on unless I complete # 2 again.

Also I notice when putting a voltage meter on the wire harness low speed side I get voltage reading but no reading on the high speed side.

Can someone tell me what could cause this issue? Also is it require that I A/C system be completely charged?
Old 15 Aug 2017, 07:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Fan issue

I claim status as the forum idiot, but maybe you should check the wiring harness for a poor connection. Sometimes the plug gets hot and melts and wires get screwed up. Just do a search here. You'll find a multitude of posts about the PT's overheating and fans not working.

Farts are just ghosts of the things we eat.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Fan issue

Is your engine light on? With an OBDII Scan Tool what codes codes are you currently getting?

Have you checked the Engine Temperature sensor?

Have you checked all ground points related to the radiator fan circuit?

Tags
overheating, radiator fan