• 1 Post By JoeX
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 3 Post By mmhendrie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2017, 09:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Default what's wrong with my PT

looking for some help here - got a 2004 Ltd Ed. PT 70k miles on it. Had a few performance issues last year, but changed spark plugs, wires, and engine mounts, and she's been driving well since - till today.

I was away on vacation, and she was sitting idle for about 3 weeks. I fired her up today just for a drive around a few blocks....there was a heavy ugly shudder, and very rough idle - check engine light and ABS lights both came on. I figured maybe she just needed to blow some cobwebs out so took her around the block a few times - the rough idle went away after a block and a half or so, and the check engine light went off. The ABS light persists. I pulled her into the driveway and started her again - smooth start, smooth idle, but the ABS light stays on. I popped the hood just for a look-see - what I noticed is the engine cover, and the far left hand side the two screws at the top and bottom of the engine cover (closest to the oil fill plug) were both sitting in liquid. I dipped the end of my key in it, and i'm pretty sure its oil. So it looks like oil is leaking out of the engine.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? I'm not a car guy - but it sounds like two different issues, some sort of engine leak and an ABS problem? Any insight/advice greatly appreciated!!
thx,
Matt
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: what's wrong with my PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhendrie View Post
looking for some help here - got a 2004 Ltd Ed. PT 70k miles on it. Had a few performance issues last year, but changed spark plugs, wires, and engine mounts, and she's been driving well since - till today.

I was away on vacation, and she was sitting idle for about 3 weeks. I fired her up today just for a drive around a few blocks....there was a heavy ugly shudder, and very rough idle - check engine light and ABS lights both came on. I figured maybe she just needed to blow some cobwebs out so took her around the block a few times - the rough idle went away after a block and a half or so, and the check engine light went off. The ABS light persists. I pulled her into the driveway and started her again - smooth start, smooth idle, but the ABS light stays on. I popped the hood just for a look-see - what I noticed is the engine cover, and the far left hand side the two screws at the top and bottom of the engine cover (closest to the oil fill plug) were both sitting in liquid. I dipped the end of my key in it, and i'm pretty sure its oil. So it looks like oil is leaking out of the engine.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? I'm not a car guy - but it sounds like two different issues, some sort of engine leak and an ABS problem? Any insight/advice greatly appreciated!!
thx,
Matt
Check your brake fluid level before driving it again. Not being rude, but as you say you don't know much about cars, the "oil" could conceivably be brake fluid, perhaps from a pinhole or somesuch in the brake components under the bonnet. Better to be safe than sorry...
Old 17 Aug 2017, 11:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

When you mention engine cover I'm assuming you're talking about the valve cover. If so the bolts that hold the cover down have gaskets around them they may be leaking. When you replaced the spark plugs did you replace the valve cover gaskets? If we're talking about the valve cover gasket there isn't much there that would cause oil to accumulate around the bolts. The power steering hoses are close as the run over the top of the timing cover. Possible power steering hose leak?

As for the ABS there could be several causes. It might be one of the wheel sensors, loose connector, or broken wire.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 03:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Was fluid added to the power steering? Over filling the PS will cause the same symptom. and the bad new is this is not corrected it will contaminate the timing belt and cause more damage.
I bought one this way, non running, the timing belt was destroyed and the PS fluid was filled to the top of the reservoir
rockandroller likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 18 Aug 2017, 09:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Might help to post a few pictures.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am suggesting the fluid leaking might be getting on one of the front ABS sensors effecting the contacts. The link below has Harbor Freight with a OBDII Scan Tool that reads ABS codes so you can possibly locate the sensor that might not be working properly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/can-ob...abs-60794.html
NitroPT and ptprice like this.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lots of good advice so far.

The initial rough running could be from a number of things such as a stuck Air Idle Control valve, stuck injector or even just trash in the fuel line. Oil on the right side of the valve cover is often from a spill while adding oil. Did you add any oil or have the oil changed shorty before vacation?

As already indicated, you are flying blind on the ABS light if you don't have a scanner that can read ABS. If me, after driving the car for a while doing lots of stops with a full brake fluid reservoir, I'd remove both battery cables, touch them together, wait ten minutes, do it again and then reinstall. At that point I'd see if the ABS light remains. There's always a chance that a brake caliper or proportioning valve seized for a few seconds and set the ABS light. Chances are that this passed with further use of the car's brakes. So by clearing the system, the ABS light may not return. This may not work but it costs nothing to try.

If no joy, I'd crawl under the car and look for an ABS sensor lead that might have been chewed up by a squirrel, mouse or other critter. Again, this costs nothing to do. But if I could not find a problem, I'd then go buy an inexpensive scanner that reads ABS either from Amazon or Harbor Freight as already suggested.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
dsab likes this.
Old 18 Aug 2017, 03:36 pm
Young Cruiser

thanks so much for all the advice folks. I *think* I might be in good shape. I sort of took the most optimistic opinions of what might be going on - that perhaps there isn't an oil leak, that it just welled up after the last change, and the rough start was just to the lack of use over the last 3 weeks, and that the ABS - perhaps something seized and was ok, but the light needed resetting.

So, I sponged out the welled oil, disconnected the battery for a while, hooked it all up, and took her around the block. Smooth start and idle, and no ABS light once I started driving. So *hopefully* I am good - obviously I need to get out there and put some miles on her to see how she performs to know for sure - but so far so good.

Thanks again!!!!

Tags
abs, engine leak, rough idle