Wheels to fit 2003 Pt GT TURBO

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2017, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wheels to fit 2003 Pt GT TURBO

Hi all & Thanks for letting me join, I have a 2003 gt turbo that has the 17" x 6 low profile alloy wheels, they keep getting bent on the pot holes & Chrome peels which causes Tires to develop slow leaks ect ... I now need to replace 2 more (front ) so I wanted to try & put standard steel wheels like on the limited & Touring models. I went to the dealer & they did not seem all that knowledgeable & at first told me that it will only fit on the gt , After looking at the parts he then told me that 2003 - 2010 only came with 17 x 6 for Gt & the others where 16 x 6 , so I called the Junk yards & they told me that 15 x 6 are the ones not 16 x 6 .....So What I was hoping is that someone here is in the know on what size wheels I could look for that would be more durable, Bolt right on & Available through the Junk yard since once bought there are no returns if not I would have to buy one see if it fits & then go from there Please anybody help clear this up for me Thanks !!!
Old 19 Aug 2017, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wheels to fit 2003 Pt GT TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOz View Post
Hi all & Thanks for letting me join, I have a 2003 gt turbo that has the 17" x 6 low profile alloy wheels, they keep getting bent on the pot holes & Chrome peels which causes Tires to develop slow leaks ect ... I now need to replace 2 more (front ) so I wanted to try & put standard steel wheels like on the limited & Touring models. I went to the dealer & they did not seem all that knowledgeable & at first told me that it will only fit on the gt , After looking at the parts he then told me that 2003 - 2010 only came with 17 x 6 for Gt & the others where 16 x 6 , so I called the Junk yards & they told me that 15 x 6 are the ones not 16 x 6 .....So What I was hoping is that someone here is in the know on what size wheels I could look for that would be more durable, Bolt right on & Available through the Junk yard since once bought there are no returns if not I would have to buy one see if it fits & then go from there Please anybody help clear this up for me Thanks !!!
if you want steal you have one choice with out buying special 16 steels. Whitch are hard to find. OEM 15" will fit the GT. PAINTED alloy wheels don't have the corrosion problem. But you still have the pot hole problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2017, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The steel rims off of many mid-size Dodge Sirrus, Chrylser Sebring, Plymouth Breeze and others will fit on a PT Cruiser. Add in all the PT's in salvage yards and steel 15" and 16" rims that fit PT's may be the most common ones at many Salvage yards. The size is 5x100.

Rims off smaller Pontiac's and a few Toyota's will fit too, IF the center bore is large enough. This often means the aftermarket rims on these cars will often fit but the factory rims won't.

Your 2003 GT has larger front calipers that many other PT's. They will say "TURBO" in the casting. You may find some 15" or 16" rims that don't fit over the turbo calipers. But many will including most of those on the mid-size cars mentioned above.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 01:11 pm
Young Cruiser

The reason you are having the issue with the potholes is due more to the short sidewalls(low profile) of your tires than anything else. The bolt pattern of 5x100 is extremely common, so you should have little trouble finding wheels. My advice if you are having problems is to go to a 16" wheel with the 205/55/16 tires that are standard on most PT's. There are tons of aftermarket wheels that you could get, rather than going to a boneyard.
Pepboys(yea i know, but bear with me) offes buy 3 get one free wheels, and you can end up getting a decent set of 16" wheels for $300.

2005 Touring turbo convertible.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 01:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are buying actual PT Cruiser wheels from the junkyard, most will fit and not have a problem when it comes to the turbo caliper. So far, I have only come across one original PT wheel that will not fit over the turbo caliper. It is one of the pictures I have posted below. Both are very similar, but I think it is the first one I have listed. It may be both of these that do not fit. Again, I believe it was the first picture that I have tried myself. I found these pictures from ebay. They are not mine.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 01:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've bought and used 16' wheels from 4 dr Sebrings (Not the Coupe) 2001-05 I believe
and If you spend some time looking you will score set of tires with them for $300.
Dodge has some nice one too.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh