PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reasonable Auto Insurance Rates

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2017, 11:32 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Reasonable Auto Insurance Rates

IDK. i still have state farm. my friends wife worked in the office and got all my costs down. my mustang has 150/300/300 full coverage and i pay $56/mo with towing reimbursement

now i have home, auto, business, and investment banking with state farm so if they raise my rates, i can bargain a bit more than most as they would stand to lose 4 accounts if they raise even one of them enough to make me shop around.

i was just very impressed with the e-surance adjuster that came out to meet with us. i told him that and he told me to remember them in the future, as they want people to have a good experience.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I like my USAA and AAA... I have seen better rates but because I have been a member now for over decades I get a few benefits for being a long time member so it is worth the little more I pay to each of them.

The only thing I dont like about insurance companies is the Motor Cycle coverage. You all that own bikes can related to that comment..
Old 19 Aug 2017, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I like my USAA and AAA... I have seen better rates but because I have been a member now for over decades I get a few benefits for being a long time member so it is worth the little more I pay to each of them.

The only thing I dont like about insurance companies is the Motor Cycle coverage. You all that own bikes can related to that comment..
I miss having motorcycles. Used to own several of them until my daughter was born. Riding motorcycles in Ventura, CA now is too dangerous for me. Already experienced flying over a car once with someone running a red light.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I'm in the process of switching from The Hartford to Allstate for both Home and 2 cars (PT and 2014 Chevy Cruze). I thought Hartford was good but looking around and comparing rates, Allstate will save me nearly $1000 a year for both policies. My Vette is separate with a collector car company (American Collector Insurance).

I had my RACE Camaro (1968 Z28) NHRA class S/G 9.90 covered for the value I claimed it was worth program/policy. As long as I kept it street registered I was covered even racing it. Holly crap though it was 110 month back in the early 90"s. The nice thing is that it covered 75% running gear 100% body replacement parts, and 85% value if totaled as I seem to remember?
Old 19 Aug 2017, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool thread revival.

Here's what I just paid two days ago. This is for six months. It's full coverage (of course) on the new Charger R/T and Avalon. The old Chevy drill rig is just liability. And I still have to pay the insurance for my big yellow Charger Daytona next month. It's about $365 for full coverage ($750 deductible) for six months. My PT Cruiser is $244 for six months and that's just liability. But I have my 23 year-old daughter as the primary driver. This works best for package pricing. The PT would be about $130 for six months if I was listed as the primary driver.

My insurance company is Shelter. I'm a USAA member and love their customer service on several other things. Being addressed by my former military rank is cool too, the way they do. But USAA just hasn't been able to give me near as a good a pricing as Shelter on car insurance. But the minute they do, I'll likely switch.

The rate for the Charger R/T is about $60 more than the same coverage on our 2015 Chrysler 300 S. I guess that's the "Hemi fee".

InsuranceAug2017.jpg

PS: Below I've added a breakdown of just my PT insurance costs.

InsuranceAug20172.jpg

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Aug 2017 at 12:34 pm.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

The only thing I don't like about insurance companies is the Motor Cycle coverage. You all that own bikes can related to that comment..
I got a quote much cheaper with AAA ( Southern California Automotive Club) but they do require that my daughter be put on as a driver on the policy. I was surprised as I though as long as someone has a learner permit it was not required to on the insurance policy but now I am finding out some insurance do require it and some don't. I am also confused with whether or not it's also affected by being an adult driver (Over 18 years old) with a learner's permit.
rob302 likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 19 Aug 2017 at 05:53 pm.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 05:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I got a quote much cheaper with AAA ( Southern California Automotive Club) but they do require that my daughter be put on as a driver on the policy. I was surprised as I though as long as someone has a learner permit it was not required to have that person as a driver on the insurance policy but now I am finding out some insurance do require it and some don't. I am also confused with whether or not it's also affected by being an adult driver (Over 18 years old) with a learner's permit.
Anyone else come across this problem?
Old 19 Aug 2017, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Anyone else come across this problem?
This seems to vary a lot depending on insurance companies.

With Shelter, several years back, you didn't have to carry them until they were sixteen. Learner or full driver's license didn't matter. Both my kids got hardship licenses at 15 so they could drive to football and band practices. Both had their own cars too ($700 eBay S10 Jimmy and $600 blown headgasket Taurus). But I didn't have to start carrying them on insurance until they turned 16.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 08:32 pm
Young Cruiser

I am switching auto insurance every year. As soon as a rate hike comes in, boom, I am gone. They lie in your face. The last one, Liberty Mutual gave me a good rate last year. The agent told me, your premium will no increase, on the contrary. The gave me the monitor plugs, to plug in into the OBDII jack. After 6 weeks an email came in saying "you will receive 15% discount on renewing". After 3 weeks came another email saying "you will receive 8% discount on renewing". Then came the bill for renewing the policy. The premium went up 25%. There were no tickets no claims whatsoever. It is just American Corporate Greed.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just be happy you don't live where I do, on the Worst Coast of KKKanaduh!

Over here, we are obligated to buy auto insurance from the State, and it ain't pretty! No choice, you pay what they say, or you hit the highway!

Sure makes me miss living in Moscow - where mandatory insurance was a whole 200 bux a year (and you had your pick of private insurers...)