PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reasonable Auto Insurance Rates

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2017, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Reasonable Auto Insurance Rates

I went to Allstate this morning and their prices was compatible with State Farm. Allstate and State Farm are about 50% more than AAA with my daughter as a driver on the policy. What I found out about teenagers being on learner's permit is that the insurance company tries to get away with ignoring that the teenagers are suppose to be on the insurance policy as a driver because they know that the increase in the cost of adding an teenager will make the customers go shopping for a cheaper rate. State Farm quoted me an average of $750 more for every six months for my daughter.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 21 Aug 2017, 11:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I am switching auto insurance every year. As soon as a rate hike comes in, boom, I am gone. They lie in your face. The last one, Liberty Mutual gave me a good rate last year. The agent told me, your premium will no increase, on the contrary. The gave me the monitor plugs, to plug in into the OBDII jack. After 6 weeks an email came in saying "you will receive 15% discount on renewing". After 3 weeks came another email saying "you will receive 8% discount on renewing". Then came the bill for renewing the policy. The premium went up 25%. There were no tickets no claims whatsoever. It is just American Corporate Greed.

I've been with Shelter over 20 years. They cover all my vehicles and home. In general, my costs have gone down for the last decade. But now they seem to be going up. However, I think it's more the type of cars we own now rather than anything else. The Hemi Charger is more than the Chrysler 300, the Avalon more than the Corolla and the Charger Daytona more than the 05 PT GT it replaced. Plus, the 07 PT Vert assumed an existing policy for an old 88 Chevy Pickup I was carrying my daughter on. Dodge truck and drill rig are about the same they were fourteen years ago.

Often I forget that as we improve our "rolling stock", our insurance costs seem to go up as well. You can't win for losing, I guess.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

ESURANCE WAS THE CHEAPEST I COULD FIND,
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:33 pm
Young Cruiser

I have Esurance. I had a few "teething" problems with them. They like to push that little reader thing that tracks your driving, and even wanted it in the ION that moves maybe 4 to 5 times a year. I told them this and they said no problem. Well, when the car wasn't moving they threw a fit. It old them that I warned them prior that the car doesn't get driven very often. Their answer was to start it every month and let it idle. Uhhh. How about NO!. They ended up getting all of their readers back but they never pulled the discount. Other than that, they've been very easy to work with when I change up cars. I've never needed to use them for a claim to date.
2002 P.T. Cruiser (157k)
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Esurance has never wanted me to do anything but send a pic of odometer reading...Been with them a long time..Tried switching once and my policy kept going up even tho no tickets/changes ect..So I switched back
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Some of you folks ought to post what you actually pay like I have. I know costs can vary state to state and individual to individual based on age, family members and so on. But it would still be very helpful to actually compare what we pay.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 01:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Cool thread revival.

Here's what I just paid two days ago. This is for six months. It's full coverage (of course) on the new Charger R/T and Avalon. The old Chevy drill rig is just liability. And I still have to pay the insurance for my big yellow Charger Daytona next month. It's about $365 for full coverage ($750 deductible) for six months. My PT Cruiser is $244 for six months and that's just liability. But I have my 23 year-old daughter as the primary driver. This works best for package pricing. The PT would be about $130 for six months if I was listed as the primary driver.

My insurance company is Shelter. I'm a USAA member and love their customer service on several other things. Being addressed by my former military rank is cool too, the way they do. But USAA just hasn't been able to give me near as a good a pricing as Shelter on car insurance. But the minute they do, I'll likely switch.

The rate for the Charger R/T is about $60 more than the same coverage on our 2015 Chrysler 300 S. I guess that's the "Hemi fee".

Attachment 24433

PS: Below I've added a breakdown of just my PT insurance costs.

Attachment 24439
Quote:
Some of you folks ought to post what you actually pay like I have. I know costs can vary state to state and individual to individual based on age, family members and so on. But it would still be very helpful to actually compare what we pay.

One of the major costs of auto insurance premiums is the insurance coverage. It would be very hard to compare insurance rates unless all the variables are the same. I like to keep my coverage high so that if anything should happen the insurance lawyer will work for me real hard.

My coverage is

Bodily injury - 1,000,000 - each person, each occurance
Property damage - 100,000 each occurance
Uninsured motorist bodily injury - 1,000,000 each person, each occurrence.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Aug 2017 at 01:36 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 02:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the cheapest policy possible and still be able to drive...think it's about 153$ have to check tho..it doesn't cover crap on my car only others

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Aug 2017 at 03:17 pm. Reason: Fa,ily forum
Old 22 Aug 2017, 05:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
I'm a difficult one to compare to because I have three cars on full coverage, and one on liability. As such my insurance costs are still ralatively high.
2002 P.T. Cruiser (157k)
Old 22 Aug 2017, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
One of the major costs of auto insurance premiums is the insurance coverage. It would be very hard to compare insurance rates unless all the variables are the same. I like to keep my coverage high so that if anything should happen the insurance lawyer will work for me real hard.

My coverage is

Bodily injury - 1,000,000 - each person, each occurance
Property damage - 100,000 each occurance
Uninsured motorist bodily injury - 1,000,000 each person, each occurrence.
Very cool. Here's a mash-up of mine by line item with costs. I guess this is the type of thing needed to truly compare. I'd think it would be very informative to compare this with what other members pay for the same line items. Just from this, I can now tell that I carry a lot less bodily injury coverage than you do.

Insurance1.jpg

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Aug 2017 at 05:24 pm.