Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2017, 11:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Slapping/flapping sound from tire area

Sounds like something stuck in tire or something or loose and flapping around..Its hard to hear unless in an area where sound bounces back..My best guess is CV joints having had no chance to check yet..Is there any upgrades I should be doing..Was gonna order ones from rock auto...What should I expect to pay for a shop to do the work?? I don't really have all the tools and a spot to do it but plan on calling a friend for jack and driveway space in case...Thanks
Old 22 Aug 2017, 11:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Slapping/flapping sound from tire area

i would think splash shield, air dam, or wheel well liner. i see cars with stuff flapping all the time and i can't help but wonder if they wonder what the noise is.

i know what you mean about the sound reflecting as i've heard my car do things like that. if you think it's a tire, rotate them and then drive next to a cement barricade or where ever it is you normally hear it.
ptprice, chuzz and rsrocket1 like this.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 11:32 am
Cool Cruiser

I can't find anything loose with a quick visual with tire turned both ways to allow some access...Tires are only a month old....Hmmmm sometimes I wish the pt didn't sit so low..Guess I will have to jack it up somehow...I have a female friend with the same issue too...
Old 22 Aug 2017, 12:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Jacking up the car will be a lot cheaper than throwing new axles onto it if not needed. I haven't done the axles on the PT, but on 2 other cars, they were about $100-$150 for a pair and less than an hour for both if you do it yourself. An independent shop quoted me $550 and a dealer quoted me $950.

Typically if the CV boot is bad, a mechanic would just replace the entire axle rather than take it out, pull off the boot, clean it up and reboot it. Although the boot itself is only about $10, a couple of hours of charged labor will cost much more than a new axle.

Usually if a CV boot is torn and flapping, you'd be getting grease slinged around the engine compartment and you'd easily spot it if you lifted the car. I would do what rob302 said, look for loose plastic parts flapping around. The front air dam is notorious for getting scraped because it sits so low and there are some liners in the wheel well that can come loose if the push-in fastener pops out.
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 01:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Car only has 72k so seemed early for CV failure..but figured since my friends car has same issue others might have too...
Old 22 Aug 2017, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pretty coincidental that it's started after having tires put on. I'd almost bet you that someone "accidentally" cracked or broke either the wheel liner or lower engine cover. Things don't flap for no reason.
3rcruiser likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.