Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door Cylinder Switch/Sensor Problem 2001 PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2017, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Door Cylinder Switch/Sensor Problem 2001 PT

My wife's beloved 2001 PT Cruiser is really acting up. Neither the keyless entry, nor the key will open the driver's side door. Gosh, she loves this car.

Our Chrysler dealership, did identify the problem, which is a defective cylinder lock switch-sensor. This little piece sits behind the door cylinder lock and is connected to the main harness with a couple of wires. It apparently is malfunctioning. The part is discontinued. The dealer does not even have a part number.

I found what might be a part number 5293090 but so far nothing on eBay or the after-market sources. There are a couple available for a 2005 PT Cruiser, same part number, with an "AA" after the above number. It looks different than what I have.

I've attached a photo of the actual switch/sensor from the vehicle.

What I'd love to get from this forum, is a proper part number and a source for this part or some other solution.

My "Plan B" is to buy a used door, strip the sensor, install it in my wife's PT, and throw the rest of the door away.

I have a similar problem with the lift back door, but that needs an actuator, which is more readily available than this silly switch-sensor.

Thanks in advance for any replies. You will make my wife happy.

Regards,

Scooter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cylinder Switch Sensor.jpg (79.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 24 Aug 2017, 01:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Door Cylinder Switch/Sensor Problem 2001 PT

Contact Denny on Ebay, also attach the pic you posted.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Aug 2017, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Door Cylinder Switch/Sensor Problem 2001 PT

I went to my local pull a part yard and got one. They let me have it! Said it had no scrap value at all. Brought it home, spliced it in and it worked like a charm. I'd suggest you do the same. Make sure you solder the wires together and use some heat shrink. It's an easy job. Hardest part was getting the dang thing plugged back in! And make sure you pay attention to the way it's "clocked" if you don't install the replacement in the same direction, your locks will go crazy! I don't remember which way it goes, so please don't ask. I'm sure they are all in the same position, so look at the one you get since yours is loose already.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Tags
cylinder, door, sensor, switch