PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Annoyed...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2017, 07:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Annoyed...

Just got over spending close to 1500 for work on my 2009 base PT, but it's acting up again - when I was turning into a parking lot yesterday my check engine light came on. The car wasn't doing anything, not running hot, no surging or whatever. I was close to home so I headed back. When I changed lanes doing only around 35mph it started jumping and slowing down. So, I started to turn in to park it, when it stopped I decided to drive really slow to get it home less than a mile away. I didn't push it but it stopped after a few seconds and went on. Got home, checked fluids, no issues there. When I tried to crank it again to move it to the back of our house, it had a sluggish start but it did crank up and I moved it. I've had practically every wire, hose, belt replaced, new water pump etc... any ideas? My mechanic is a county a way, and expensive. I'd hate to tow it up there to find out that it's nothing that bad.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Annoyed...

What trouble codes did you get when the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on?

The symptoms you have sound like a failed camshaft position sensor. This is a common failure among all PT's and other similar cars of the PT era.
rckstein, Sinbad and JDK52 like this.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest if you don't one to get an OBDII Scan Tool to check for engine trouble codes. After you can for the codes post what they are and we can confirm what that code means and what is recommended to fix that code.

Harbor Freight sells the OBDII Scan Tools for a reasonable price.
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...BDII+Scan+Tool
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ehhhh, since you say it would barely crank, I'd suggest you get your battery load tested. It MUST be fully charged first. Do you have a volt meter? If so, 12.v or more is a full charge. Sounds to me like your battery is taking a dump. And get that alternator checked too.
earthworm likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 09:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

the Pt Cruiser are getting long in the tooth
and were designed to last 100,000 miles ten yrs
(Not saying they wont go longer)

Today's money they are inexpensive to purchase
..........It's the Labor cos to Diagnose and repair that is expensive.
Just
To replace Timing belt Tensioner pulleys/water pump
@12hr labor
$1400-@2300.00

as a pt Cruiser owner you should ask yourself these question.....

if your cruiser has a lot of Miles (over 100,000)
if you don't understand basic automobile principals
if you pay someone else work on you Cruiser
If your mechanic is not local
if you don't have much money
if you don't have other Transportation while Cruiser is being diagnose/repaired

if you answer Yes to any of the above questions
Maybe the Pt Cruiser is not the car for you

If you answered “yes” then parts car is a really good idea.
Old 27 Aug 2017, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchnIswhatIdo View Post
the Pt Cruiser are getting long in the tooth
and were designed to last 100,000 miles ten yrs
(Not saying they wont go longer)

Today's money they are inexpensive to purchase
..........It's the Labor cos to Diagnose and repair that is expensive.
Just
To replace Timing belt Tensioner pulleys/water pump
@12hr labor
$1400-@2300.00

as a pt Cruiser owner you should ask yourself these question.....

if your cruiser has a lot of Miles (over 100,000)
if you don't understand basic automobile principals
if you pay someone else work on you Cruiser
If your mechanic is not local
if you don't have much money
if you don't have other Transportation while Cruiser is being diagnose/repaired

if you answer Yes to any of the above questions
Maybe the Pt Cruiser is not the car for you
+1 This is really well written!

Here's one thing more to consider.

Growing up in a small town there were loads (if not the majority of folks) that owned old cars. It's all many folks could afford. And they seemed to get by without the things on the list above. HOWEVER, most of them didn't drive far. They might drive five miles to town, get groceries, visit family, friends or go to church. They might do this type of things several times a week or even daily. But that was it. So even a car with a blown head gasket or rod knocking might last for several years until the folks tried to drive over to the next town or go visit far off relatives at Christmas time. Today, the PT is the exactly this way. To be exact, when I go back to my home town I often see several PT beaters going down main street or parked at the local stores. And that's in a town with only around 2,000 folks.

So if your whole world is only 5 miles or less away, almost any old running car, such as a PT, with bald tires and a good battery will do. The problem with PT's (which are now mostly older high-mileage cars) is that if you plan to drive them far, you will need all the things mentioned above. And the same is true for almost any older car.

In summary, add "if you routinely drive more than five miles" to the statement above and I think it will be just about the perfect response to anyone upset about the undependability of their old worn out PT Cruiser.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Aug 2017 at 10:36 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've already had every belt, hose, the water pump, pcv valve, a new battery, thermostat, radiator cleaned, many of the wires, etc. changed on it within the last 5 months. It's my second PT. I haven't had the chance to go take it somewhere to be checked yet unfortunately.

All that came on was the check engine light when I turned to the right into a parking lot. It stayed on, no noises, didn't run hot, etc.. Then it did the slowing down, jumping when I was moving over into to right lane heading home. I slowed down getting ready to turn in, and it stopped. Only lasted a few seconds. So I went on home. The CIL stayed on. Then the sluggish start when I got it home and moved it. It changes gears okay as well. I do know it's burning me out on these cars.

Thanks guys.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 08:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJaeihx View Post
I've already had every belt, hose, the water pump, pcv valve, a new battery, thermostat, radiator cleaned, many of the wires, etc. changed on it within the last 5 months. It's my second PT. I haven't had the chance to go take it somewhere to be checked yet unfortunately.

All that came on was the check engine light when I turned to the right into a parking lot. It stayed on, no noises, didn't run hot, etc.. Then it did the slowing down, jumping when I was moving over into to right lane heading home. I slowed down getting ready to turn in, and it stopped. Only lasted a few seconds. So I went on home. The CIL stayed on. Then the sluggish start when I got it home and moved it. It changes gears okay as well. I do know it's burning me out on these cars.

Thanks guys.
Hang in there. You're in pretty deep already. First, check the codes. Get a code reader or take it to a big box auto parts store and have them pull the codes for free. For some reason it is frowned upon here, but you can use the key dance to get the codes in a pinch.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Hang in there. You're in pretty deep already. First, check the codes. Get a code reader or take it to a big box auto parts store and have them pull the codes for free. For some reason it is frowned upon here, but you can use the key dance to get the codes in a pinch.
That method doesn't always tell you everything. But if you can't get there. I would use it. If yoh get nothing. You may need to read the other way. I'm with FK5

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 29 Aug 2017 at 02:29 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2017, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe your catalytic converter is coming apart and clogging? IKD, but it's easy enough to check and doesn't cost anything.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.