PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard time finding a short!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2017, 01:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Hard time finding a short!

There is a short in my 2006 PT that over time drains my battery.

I did the test light thing where you connect the test light between the negative battery post and the negative battery cable.
Then you pull each fuse until the light goes out and the one where the light goes out is the circuit with the short.
I pulled every fuse but the light did not go out.

Are there some fuses inside the PT that I do not know about?
Is there anything else I should be doing to find the short.
I have been working on it for a while now but I can't seem to find it.
Thanks for any help.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hard time finding a short!

You cannot really check for a short (parasitic draw) with a simple test light on most modern cars. There's a number of different component that constantly draw a small amount of power. And worse, when you reinsert a fuse, the item that then becomes powered may draw more current for a short time after re-powering.

To correctly check for parasitic draw, first forget the test light. You really shouldn't use one on a CANbus car like a 2nd Gen (2006 thru 2010) PT Cruiser. There's a few things a simple test light can potentially mess up. Instead, use a multimeter with a 10A or 20A input. Put it in between the negative battery post and the negative battery cable and set the dial on the multimeter to measure amps as per multimeters instructions.

Next, wait about a minute so recharged items will quit drawing more power. Assure the dome light has gone out too. The readings should be below 25 to 50 milliamps or so depending on the car. If above this something may be using too much juice.

If so, then proceed to pull the fuses as you described with the goal of getting the parasitic draw to drop down to where it should be. I believe my 2007 PT pulls around 5 to 10 milliamps while at complete rest.

PS: There's a better way to do this with a multimeter with a fluke. The battery cable stays connected and you can check the draw under many different conditions. Also, some Advance Auto stores have a way to test parasitic draw on the portable test station they test batteries with. So they will often check for overall parasitic draw for you for free.
earthworm likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Aug 2017 at 02:40 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 02:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
You cannot really check for a short (parasitic draw) this way on most modern cars. There's a number of different component that constantly draw a small amount of power. And worse, when you reinsert a fuse, the item that then becomes powered may draw more currently for a short time after re-powering.

To correctly check for parasitic draw, first forget the test light. You really shouldn't use one on a CANbus car like a 2nd Gen (2006 thru 2010) PT Cruiser. There's a few things a simple test light can potentially mess up. Instead, use a multimeter with a 10A or 20A input. Put it in between the negative battery post and the negative battery cable and set the dial on the multimeter to measure amps as per multimeters instructions.

Next, wait about a minute so recharged items will quit drawing more power. Assure the dome light has gone out too. The readings should be below 25 to 50 milliamps or so depending on the car. If above this something may be using too much juice.

If so, then proceed to pull the fuses as you described with the goal of getting the parasitic draw to drop down to where it should be.

PS: There's a better way to do this with a multimeter with a fluke. Also, some Advance Auto stores have a way to test parasitic draw on the portable test station they test batteries with. So they will often check for overall parasitic draw for you for free.

Thanks Handy_Cruiser
I am going to give it a try.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Red face Re: Hard time finding a short!

Bob2006, I just had my 2006 Gt. in the shop from an Alt. that shorted out. I shut my car off one night and then tried to start it. Nothing, it only clicked. The next morning the battery would not take a charge. I took the cables off, and charged the battery, hooked the cables up. The car started right off. Ran a short time, shut it off again. Dead, would not even click. Had it towed to a shop, and they changed the Alt. said it shorted out inside. Don't know if that's the same problem you have or not. Ptpreacher
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 02:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTpreacher View Post
Bob2006, I just had my 2006 Gt. in the shop from an Alt. that shorted out. I shut my car off one night and then tried to start it. Nothing, it only clicked. The next morning the battery would not take a charge. I took the cables off, and charged the battery, hooked the cables up. The car started right off. Ran a short time, shut it off again. Dead, would not even click. Had it towed to a shop, and they changed the Alt. said it shorted out inside. Don't know if that's the same problem you have or not. Ptpreacher
Thanks for the info.
I have another thread I posted today about disconnecting the alternator so I could check if that is were the short is. I just can't get the connector to release.

However my PT is running fine.
The parasitic draw is very small.
During the warm weather it is not noticeable at all if you drive the car on a daily basis.
It only becomes noticeable in the cold weather, there is enough drain on the battery that it is hard to start in the winter or it won't start at all.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

The readings should be below 25 to 50 milliamps or so depending on the car. If above this something may be using too much juice.

I believe my 2007 PT pulls around 5 to 10 milliamps while at complete rest.
I checked and I got a reading of 0.1
It fluctuates to 0.2 for a bit at the start but then settles down to 0.1
Any advice?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

0.1 = 100ma which sounds high to me.

a 2006 is a different animal, but for my 2002 testing procedure, you can read here: Normal IOD for a PT

looking up a 2006 on alldata, there is no testing procedure listed.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 03:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
0.1 = 100ma which sounds high to me.

a 2006 is a different animal, but for my 2002 testing procedure, you can read here: Normal IOD for a PT

looking up a 2006 on alldata, there is no testing procedure listed.
Thanks rob302
Your input is very appreciated.
I guess I am not so good with reading amps from the old multi-meter.

If it is 100ma then for sure it is too high.
I will go about pulling some fuses and see if I can get it to come down.
I will report back soon.
Thanks again to all.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2006 View Post
Thanks rob302
Your input is very appreciated.
I guess I am not so good with reading amps from the old multi-meter.

If it is 100ma then for sure it is too high.
I will go about pulling some fuses and see if I can get it to come down.
I will report back soon.
Thanks again to all.
You might see if your meter will read in milliamps. It's possible that by reading in whole amps, it's just rounding up to the tenth of an amp.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 08:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
You might see if your meter will read in milliamps. It's possible that by reading in whole amps, it's just rounding up to the tenth of an amp.
Thanks for the reply Handy_Cruiser
When I get the 0.1A reading I have the dial set at 10A
When I set the dial at 20M or 200M I get no reading at all.
I have attached a pic of the meter dial.
The big question is, am I using the meter correctly?
Thanks to all for your help.
Much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg multi-meter.jpg (85.6 KB, 11 views)