• 8 Post By Vengence
  • 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 3 Post By Vengence
  • 1 Post By Vengence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2017, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default What's been done so far and how I feel about it

I bought my 2008 LX PT in December for $3750 (US) and have put almost 5k into in work and parts. Some of the work has been done myself except for major work. Buying this car I knew it had some issues, was not expecting a burnt/bent valve causing $1,100 in repair but, not too bad giving the time it took. A lot of time and money have gone into this car however, I still love the car. I have had many PT's thus far and believe the total is up to 5 including this one, and for an 08.....Despite the work gone into it, it is in great condition with NO RUST at all. Hope to keep it that way but NY winters can be a bitch.

Since buying the car, I have been battling a Vibration at high speed issues which have been taken care of. All 4 rims were bent to shit. Switched Mechanics because of that as he said all 4 were fine and they were not. Recent knocking issue which will be handled Friday in which the control arm bushings are shot and ball joints are worn and a slight crack in one control arm. After that, I am replacing the Wheel Bearings as they are still the Originals that came with the car and are starting to go. Need to get this done before Winter and before my trip to Oklahoma to look for living arrangements for next year when I move. Going back down to go back to school for Meteorology to be a Storm/Tornado Chaser. Anyways, Onto the List.....

Whats been done so far.

All Intake/Exhaust valves
Resurfaced Engine/Head/Head Gasket
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Motor Mounts
Struts
Shocks
CV Shafts
Sway Bars and Bushings
Rims (all 4 previous that came with the car were bent)
4 new TPM Sensors
8 new tires (Summer and Winter Sets)
Radiator Fan and Relays

To be done in the next 2 weeks...

Control Arms and Ball Joints
Wheel Bearings
Fog Light Kit from Mopar

In closing, I like the PT Cruiser and I for one believe Chrysler messed up Discontinuing it as it was a good selling vehicle for them and they so far have not released anything comparable. If they do remake the PT, I would buy one in an instant.
Even with all the problems I have had so far with this PT, I still love it and do not plan on getting rid of it at any point. Still happy with my purchase. Sorry if this is long but, just wanted to give an update on my PT and how I feel about it now and opinion on things.
Old 05 Sep 2017, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What's been done so far and how I feel about it

One thing to remember is that while a 2008 PT seems pretty new compared to the majority of them, it's still a nine year old car. Other than the valves and rims, the rest are things many if not most PT's need done at some point.

I kind'a worry that you might have gotten taken on the valve work since it's very rare to bend the valves in these engines. But a rebuilt head is a going to be a good thing in the long run anyway. On the front control arms, the best way to replace them is the get the entire control arm together with the bushing and ball joint together. Moog makes a "Problem Solver" control arm with a redesigned bushing that's much less likely to fail in the future. The part numbers for them are CK620024 and CK620023 for a 2008 PT wagon. You might ask you mechanic about these. Here's a link:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....441786&jsn=437

For the rest, it sounds like you've set up this machine for many years of good use. Other things will brake. But it's all fixable. Not only are PT's great cars, but they are also relatively inexpensive to repair.

Please post some photos when she's up and running.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Sep 2017 at 02:49 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2017, 09:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
One thing to remember is that while a 2008 PT seems pretty new compared to the majority of them, it's still a nine year old car. Other than the valves and rims, the rest are things many if not most PT's need done at some point.

I kind'a worry that you might have gotten taken on the valve work since it's very rare to bend the valves in these engines. But a rebuilt head is a going to be a good thing in the long run anyway. On the front control arms, the best way to replace them is the get the entire control arm together with the bushing and ball joint together. Moog makes a "Problem Solver" control arm with a redesigned bushing that's much less likely to fail in the future. The part numbers for them are CK620024 and CK620023 for a 2008 PT wagon. You might ask you mechanic about these. Here's a link:

More Information for MOOG CK620024

For the rest, it sounds like you've set up this machine for many years of good use. Other things will brake. But it's all fixable. Not only are PT's great cars, but they are also relatively inexpensive to repair.

Please post some photos when she's up and running.
Per your comment, I may or may not have been taken on bent valve, but In a picture being sent and seeing it myself, the valve was burnt and bent. (Picture attached of the valve itself and of the light shining through the side of the valve.) You could see light from the bottom shining straight through and it caused a P0302 Code everytime it started and compression in that cylinder #2 was less than 150. So, I do not believe I was taken for it. One thing still bugs me though....and that is how it happened...No one really knew.

Control arms I am getting do come with bushings and ball joints together as one piece.

Yes, things to go bad on it and i am prepared for those. Control Arms and Wheel Bearings are all that needs to be done for now. With all that has been done so far, shouldnt be needing anything else soon. Maybe brakes and rotors but when those are needed, I may see about getting Brembo. Who knows. I have other things I would like to do with my PT. Such as converting it to 4 wheel Disc Brakes with Brembo's and looking into adding ABS when I move to Oklahoma.

She's up a driving now Handy. Been runnin good and doing my best to care for her. I'm hoping to have her for another 200k miles or 10 years. Or, If I find a good semi-cheap car, build my PT up to showroom standards and keep her going longer. Seeing I havent heard much of anything on Chrysler bringing them back. The PT was imo, an Iconic car for the 10 years they were made. Shame Chrysler let them die. I'll be keeping this one until the frame falls apart. No matter the cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bent valve.jpg (95.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20170816_142756.jpg (96.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 16473773_468566020198185_8176321776371522872_n.jpg (27.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Vengence; 05 Sep 2017 at 09:34 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2017, 10:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Looks like a burnt valve to me.

While we don't see it that often on this forum, some common reasons for a burnt valve can be, but aren't limited to, carbon buildup not letting the valve seat right, heat from a learn fuel mixture due to a weak injector or manifold vacuum leak, or even an improperly seated valve from the factory. If the shop didn't check all this out, you may want to check the spark plug on that cylinder now to make sure it's not rusty and burnt from running too lean. Based on the oxygen sensor, the PCM on a PT can only make fuel trim adjustments for all cylinders at once and cannot correct for just one. Other members may have other things to look for too.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
Old 05 Sep 2017, 10:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Looks like a burnt valve to me.

While we don't see it that often on this forum, some common reasons for a burnt valve can be, but aren't limited to, carbon buildup not letting the valve seat right, heat from a learn fuel mixture due to a weak injector or manifold vacuum leak, or even an improperly seated valve from the factory. If the shop didn't check all this out, you may want to check the spark plug on that cylinder now to make sure it's not rusty and burnt from running too lean. Based on the oxygen sensor, the PCM on a PT can only make fuel trim adjustments for all cylinders at once and cannot correct for just one. Other members may have other things to look for too.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
I can say and assume others will agree, that your helping others is great and very much appreciated. I've come here for help a few times and all was great advice and helped with the repairs.

I do believe they said it was carbon build up when I spoke to them about it.....Don't really remember as it was 7 months ago now, but Carbon Build up was brought up I believe. Before the Bad Valve was discovered, I forgot to mention this at first and will edit that post but, All the Spark Plugs and Wires were replaced prior to the discovery of the bad valve. So, couldn't look at that now. But, even with all of that, every time it gets an oil change, I have the Mechanics look at the Spark Plugs and look for anything out of the ordinary.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.