Advertisements
Trouble Light

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2017, 09:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Trouble Light

IMG_0636.jpg

When doing any of the auto repairs a trouble light is often essential.
Over the years I've had several different types of trouble lights. The florescence type were an improvement over the old incandescent bulb. Not hot and more resistant to bumping.
The newer LED strips are nice....

Anyway, some time ago I put one of the LED bulbs into one of the old incandescent Trouble Light set ups.

This now seems to be my favorite.

As obvious as this installation may be, I thought if some of you have one of these older trouble lights just laying around you might want to give it a try.

The price is right.

Honest Aladdin - It really is new lamps for old.
Old 07 Sep 2017, 10:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble Light

Good suggestion. I've been using a fluorescent light for a long time.
These Harbor Freight LED lamps work well too.

They are small, so they can be placed in very cramped spaces which is a good definition of the PT Cruiser engine compartment. It has a hook and a magnet which is barely strong enough to hold its own weight. It also has a "flashlight" feature on the end.

Best of all they are free almost monthly if you sign up for their email spam, get their coupons in the mail or find the coupons in publications like the NRA magazine American Rifleman.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 07 Sep 2017, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK52 View Post
Attachment 24810

When doing any of the auto repairs a trouble light is often essential.
Over the years I've had several different types of trouble lights. The florescence type were an improvement over the old incandescent bulb. Not hot and more resistant to bumping.
The newer LED strips are nice....

Anyway, some time ago I put one of the LED bulbs into one of the old incandescent Trouble Light set ups.

This now seems to be my favorite.

As obvious as this installation may be, I thought if some of you have one of these older trouble lights just laying around you might want to give it a try.

The price is right.

Honest Aladdin - It really is new lamps for old.
40 watts is not bright enough for me. Guess my eyes must be fading out.
Old 07 Sep 2017, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I haven't tried the LED yet, but I will when my spiral fluorescent bulb dies. The spiral bulbs were a godsend a few years back as I no longer was at risk for third degree burns if I touched that stupid trouble light with a regular bulb in it. It happened more than once when I would grab it accidentally or it would fall on me when I was working and burn the heck out of me. Also with the spiral bulb oil wouldn't start burning off the back of it when a drop might land there.
JDK52 likes this.
Old 07 Sep 2017, 11:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

About 2 weeks ago my trouble light finally quit after about 12 years. I replaced it with an LED light and I love it. Good light and it doesn't get hot like the old one. It puts out 400 lumens which I thought would be a bit low however with the white light it puts out it provide more than enough light.
Carnut likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2017, 08:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

My Dad always had the old style trouble light with the cage on the front. Metal housing. I used to burn the piss out of myself on it nearly every time I used it. I use a 6 volt flash light most of the time or a single fluorescent type that connects to my car battery. Y'all make me feel bad.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Sep 2017, 03:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Trouble Light

I gave up on using those style lights years ago, too many burns on me or the vehicle from them...

I picked up a florescent style a least 15 years ago, like this: 13-watt-fluorescent-work-light

But these days I am more likely to use one like this: 10watt led flood light

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Sep 2017, 03:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

When I first got this light in a combo kit with a drill, I thought, why would you want a flashlight like this? The first time I used it under the hood, I was hooked. I have one of the Craftsman LED rechargeable stick lights and it is WAY TOO dim. I have a florescent reel light hanging from the rafters. Also, too dim. This DeWalt has a swivel head, is bright and lasts for a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW908-...t+18volt+light
rcktpwrd likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 08 Sep 2017, 05:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, the LED bulb in the old school trouble light is the ticket. I switched over my bulb some time ago and I'd never go back.

They're more shock resistant, no filament to break when you drop the light. They don't burn you from inadvertent contact. The burns I remember were on a hot day with sweaty skin. That metal shield would touch you, and it STUNG.
Carnut likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2017, 07:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My favorite work light is this little baby right here.

It has a 4 volt rechargeable lithium battery. It's unbelievably bright. I bought it about ten years ago and it still works great. It came in a kit with a little electric driver and I still have it too. Sears quit making the battery for these. But I found that it was same as the battery used in some Ryobe 4 volt tools sold at Home Depot. So now I have two batteries. One stays in the light and one in the electric driver.