Advertisements
2005 Vert Drive belt questions NON TURBO

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2017, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Vert Drive belt questions NON TURBO

Hey everyone! Quic question, what would make both of my belts jump off after water pump change? Obivpusly something not pUT back on corrcect, but cam anyone give me some things to check?
Old 12 Sep 2017, 05:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Vert Drive belt questions NON TURBO

Check the alignment. I think there have been cases of people not pressing the balancer/pulley on to the correct depth.
rob302 likes this.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 08:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i agree. keep tightening the balancer.. or remove it, make sure all is clean and burr free, and tighten it again
Old 13 Sep 2017, 09:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Make sure correct belt. Should have same number of ridges as the pulleys. As already said check the alignment of the belt, take a straight edge and it should be straight up / down and in all directions. Make sure the tension is also correct.
Mike
Old 13 Sep 2017, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali7805 View Post
Hey everyone! Quic question, what would make both of my belts jump off after water pump change? Obivpusly something not pUT back on corrcect, but cam anyone give me some things to check?
If I remember right, the inner belt is for the alternator and is tightened by an adjustment on the alternator bracket. The outter belt is for the AC compressor and power steering pump and is tightened by a spring-loaded non-adjustable tensioner.

For the inner belt, check for a bad alternator bearing, loose alternator or a warped crank pulley.

The primary alignment issue for the outer belt comes from the power steering pulley which is pressed on. On some 2001/2002 PT's, the alignment of the power steering pump was off from the factory so they left the pulley about a 1/2 inch out from being fully pressed on the shaft. If someone "corrects" this, the belt doesn't ride straight. On later models, the problem is more likely due to a bad bearing in the tensioner pulley.

Since it's throwing both drive belts, I'd look long and hard at the alternator since a problem with the inner belt is more likely to throw both belts. And I'd inspect all of it. But I'd also give some special attention to that tensioner bearing for the outer belt. It's very head to see without removing the right headlight. But with the belt off, you can at least spin it and feel for a wobble and/or a bad bearing. I'd do the same with the AC clutch pulley, as well. Also, I'd look for any misalignment that may be due to reinstalling the alternator or power steering pump incorrectly after the timing belt job.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00352013.jpg (64.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Sep 2017 at 09:55 am.
Old 13 Sep 2017, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The simple answer as a few have mentioned is look at the alignment of all the accessories.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN