Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP - Multifunction Switch - HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2017, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP - Multifunction Switch - HELP

I am on my 3rd MFS, and the problem continues.
I've replaced the relay on the back of the switch, and also replaced the overhead Temp/Compass unit.
Everything works EXCEPT:

The dash lights will dim and brighten with the rheostat function, but when I get to the "detent" position that's supposed to further brighten the dash (and overhead temperature) lights, NOTHING happens - the position is dead on all 3 switches.
When I go beyond the detent, the interior lights come on as they should.

I'm stumped.
Any guidance is appreciated.

thx
Old 13 Sep 2017, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP - Multifunction Switch - HELP

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
147k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 13 Sep 2017 at 11:55 am. Reason: Deleted because NitroPT wants to control the entire forum
Old 13 Sep 2017, 04:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 14 Sep 2017, 08:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Welcome to the forum from Texas.

Thanks - hope you fared well in the Texas storms.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from Pontiac, MI!

I have a 2010 Cruiser which has a different system than yours does so I can't help.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRager View Post
I've replaced the relay on the back of the switch, and also replaced the overhead Temp/Compass unit.
Everything works EXCEPT:

The dash lights will dim and brighten with the rheostat function, but when I get to the "detent" position that's supposed to further brighten the dash (and overhead temperature) lights, NOTHING happens - the position is dead on all 3 switches.

I'm stumped.

thx

Welcome to the forum.
Can you tell us why you are on your 3rd MFS?
Old 14 Sep 2017, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Can you tell us why you are on your 3rd MFS?

I bought the car used, but it had a warranty.
#1 MFS had a turn signal issue and was replaced.
My better half drives the car most of the time, so I never noticed the above issue w/the #2 MFS until recently.
Just replaced it with a salvage yard piece (#3), and the issue continues.
Old 14 Sep 2017, 11:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRager View Post
Everything works EXCEPT:

I'm stumped.

thx
What happens if you disconnect the overhead Temp/Compass unit?
Old 15 Sep 2017, 06:04 am
Senior Cruiser

SOOO BIG and I welcome to the Forum. It's a pleasure to be up and functioning after Irma.

The MFS switch is a weak point on the PT Cruiser. I was about to advise checking elsewhere, (1) fuses, stopping electrical flow (2) or a circuit short, incorrectly grounding electrical flow. as you mentioned trying three MFS switches. But I see you've used used MFS switches. Possibly the common determent is you didn't replace the MFS switch with a good new or repaired MFS switch. The newer replacements available can have a longer function life that the original offering.

A few Forum members have offered threads for repairing some of the deficiencies of the MFS switch. You might either be sure you've purchased a good MFS switch or gut it and try a repair. I once lucked out and snagged two at a salvage yard, one worked when I futzed with it the other didn't. I have two in my junk drawer now that I've repaired the fog light cam surface on both and the darn things still don't work 'cause of some undiscovered snafu.

My challenge with the MFS switch was always fog light activation, which is usually a worn plastic cam surface that can be repaired with a plastic epoxy fill or a resurface with a metal plate.

There are areas in the switch prone to overheating and plastic melting leading to dysfunction and shorting. And other brass surfaces that only need a little TLC to remove corrosion and reestablish function. In some cases a simple spring has been dislocated or function blocked with corrosion of gunk.

I'm sure more learned Forum PTers than I can lend more salient advise.

Good luck with your repair. Let us know how it works out. PT happiness is enhanced with a properly functioning MFS switch.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats W/ Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers and Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 15 Sep 2017 at 06:12 am.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 07:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
SOOO BIG and I welcome to the Forum. It's a pleasure to be up and functioning after Irma.

The MFS switch is a weak point on the PT Cruiser. I was about to advise checking elsewhere, (1) fuses, stopping electrical flow (2) or a circuit short, incorrectly grounding electrical flow. as you mentioned trying three MFS switches. But I see you've used used MFS switches. Possibly the common determent is you didn't replace the MFS switch with a good new or repaired MFS switch. The newer replacements available can have a longer function life that the original offering.

A few Forum members have offered threads for repairing some of the deficiencies of the MFS switch. You might either be sure you've purchased a good MFS switch or gut it and try a repair. I once lucked out and snagged two at a salvage yard, one worked when I futzed with it the other didn't. I have two in my junk drawer now that I've repaired the fog light cam surface on both and the darn things still don't work 'cause of some undiscovered snafu.

My challenge with the MFS switch was always fog light activation, which is usually a worn plastic cam surface that can be repaired with a plastic epoxy fill or a resurface with a metal plate.

There are areas in the switch prone to overheating and plastic melting leading to dysfunction and shorting. And other brass surfaces that only need a little TLC to remove corrosion and reestablish function. In some cases a simple spring has been dislocated or function blocked with corrosion of gunk.

I'm sure more learned Forum PTers than I can lend more salient advise.

Good luck with your repair. Let us know how it works out. PT happiness is enhanced with a properly functioning MFS switch.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Thanks for the input.
I'm NOT trying to be arguementive, but after 3 different MFSs with the same issue, I can't help but think there's another component somewhere in the equation.
BTW: I have NOT tried disconnecting to overhead to see if that changes anything.
I'll try that.