PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stepped In It Again

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2017, 11:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Stepped In It Again

Not exactly a Cruiser topic but close. Over the last several months I've either been turning wrenches on my own car or for someone else. Last weekend and this weekend no wrench turning which was fantastic. Well, my step son just bought a very nice 1 owner Neon 2.0 with 130k on it that never had the timing belt changed. He ordered the parts so Sunday we'll start tearing it down.

This time however I intend to hardly touch a tool and only provide supervision. My wife doesn't think I can stop myself from just taking over (once a mechanic always a mechanic). I have a bet with her and I'd really hate to have to pay up

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Sep 2017 at 04:34 am.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stepped Inti It Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsab View Post
Not exactly a Cruiser topic but close. Over the last several months I've either been turning wrenches on my own car or for someone else. Last weekend and this weekend no wrench turning which was fantastic. Well, my step son just bought a very nice 1 owner Neon 2.0 with 130k on it that never had the timing belt changed. He ordered the parts so Sunday we'll start tearing it down.

This time however I intend to hardly touch a tool and only provide supervision. My wife doesn't think I can stop myself from just taking over (once a mechanic always a mechanic). I have a bet with her and I'd really hate to have to pay up
Good luck!
Old 16 Sep 2017, 06:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

If your step son is anything like my son, you are going to lose that bet. I'm just saying!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsab View Post

My son has two friends that "supposed" to be dealership technicians. Granted one is a parts tech, but you'd think when they all get together and work on a vehicle, I wouldn't need to be involved. Wrong answer. Anyway, I normally tell my son and his motley buddies that if they want to, they can have me come look at what they are doing before they button it back up. So basically, I just inspect at critical points and tell them about any problems. This keeps my hands clean.

When you grow up in the grease playing with wrenches, you develop a pride if not an arrogance as an adult that there is no machine you can't fix. But when a kid, my daddy told me he wished I'd never had to get dirty nor sweat at my job. To me, this rings up images of having children that buy their cars and other machines new and then have them repaired or maintained by others never even thinking about what is actually involved. I see folks like this all the time and wonder how they get by. But more than that, I think of all they are missing about how the world actually works.

For me, I had both kids watch when I fixed things. For even my daughter, I told her to watch me do this so she at least understands what it is and what it takes to fix it. And I told both that they should try to understand these things whether they choose to do it themselves or not. And hopefully, I've left them with that whether I am still around to inspect their work or not.
rckstein, JonN and dsab like this.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 01:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
My son has two friends that "supposed" to be dealership technicians. Granted one is a parts tech, but you'd think when they all get together and work on a vehicle, I wouldn't need to be involved. Wrong answer. Anyway, I normally tell my son and his motley buddies that if they want to, they can have me come look at what they are doing before they button it back up. So basically, I just inspect at critical points and tell them about any problems. This keeps my hands clean.

When you grow up in the grease playing with wrenches, you develop a pride if not an arrogance as an adult that there is no machine you can't fix. But when a kid, my daddy told me he wished I'd never had to get dirty nor sweat at my job. To me, this rings up images of having children that buy their cars and other machines new and then have them repaired or maintained by others never even thinking about what is actually involved. I see folks like this all the time and wonder how they get by. But more than that, I think of all they are missing about how the world actually works.

For me, I had both kids watch when I fixed things. For even my daughter, I told her to watch me do this so she at least understands what it is and what it takes to fix it. And I told both that they should try to understand these things whether they choose to do it themselves or not. And hopefully, I've left them with that whether I am still around to inspect their work or not.
So true.

It seems to me that most younger people don't want to maintain their cars themselves and would rather take them to a shop. I don't know if it's laziness or they think they need thousands of dollars in tools and special equipment. Although I have several boxes and a cabinet (I'd never say I have too many tools) most repairs can be done with a basic mechanics set.

As for pride. The Neon timing belt is the 1st repair my step son has done pretty much on his own and as we got into it he gained more confidence in his ability to complete the job. When it was all back together and he turned the key and the engine kicked right off and ran beautifully other than a big smile you could see the sense of accomplishment and pride he took in what he had done.

It was a great teaching moment and we had fun doing it plus it created some memories for when I'm older and grayer.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Depending on the year, the Dodge Neon had lots of recalls. Make sure, for your step-sons well being that whatever recalls his car had were taken care of.

Dodge Neon Recalls | DodgeProblems.com
dsab likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 08:08 am
Cool Cruiser

[QUOTE=dsab;669953]So true.

It seems to me that most younger people don't want to maintain their cars themselves and would rather take them to a shop. I don't know if it's laziness or they think they need thousands of dollars in tools and special equipment. Although I have several boxes and a cabinet (I'd never say I have too many tools) most repairs can be done with a basic mechanics set.

/QUOTE]

As a younger 25-year old guy I totally agree. I only know of one or two other people besides me my age that even change their own oil. I don't think it's just with cars, but with everything they use. Rather than fix something simple they'd rather just get an entirely new one.
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 76k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Sound System
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVX3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Stepped In It Again

Well, after pricing my oil and filter for my Forte at Walmart, O'Reilly and Advance, I was looking at $30 plus tax. 7% tax here made it about $32.10. Guy who does my tires offers a full Pennzoil synthetic change for $35 cash. Guess what I did this time? LOL
rckstein and dsab like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 08:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Stepped In It Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Well, after pricing my oil and filter for my Forte at Walmart, O'Reilly and Advance, I was looking at $30 plus tax. 7% tax here made it about $32.10. Guy who does my tires offers a full Pennzoil synthetic change for $35 cash. Guess what I did this time? LOL
I've had this dilemma but I still do my own oil changes as I like to look other things over while I have it lifted up. I think I may also have a bit of an OCD issue when it comes to someone else working on my car. Heck when I have tires replaced when I get the vehicle home I'll re-torque the lug nuts to make sure they didn't just decide to impact wrench the lugs on.

I imagine there'll be a point when I'm older and decrepit and leave my turn signal on for miles that I'll just let someone else do the repairs
rckstein likes this.
Old 23 Sep 2017, 08:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Depending on the year, the Dodge Neon had lots of recalls. Make sure, for your step-sons well being that whatever recalls his car had were taken care of.

Dodge Neon Recalls | DodgeProblems.com

Thanks Crewzin, I'll send him the link