PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cranks but no spark

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Sep 2017, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question cranks but no spark

I bought a 2003 pt cruiser turbo a few months ago for my wife it is our project car. just before I bought the pt the owner (who I know) replaced the turbo a little over a year ago. Just before he sold it to us he replaced the timing belt, water pump, and the pcm (used, but programmed to the car). I know it has a bad map sensor, but it would start and run. a couple of days ago it started ran for a minute or 2 died and started up again. it did this a few times through out the past few days. today it started and ran had the normal cold mis from the MAP sensor. My wife was driving the PT to the store and got about a mile away and it just died. she said it was like someone just turned off the car. it would not start back up. I checked the spark and there was none. I then pulled the codes with the key dance and received the normal codes for the map sensor, but also a new on Po633. I looked this up and it is a skim code for the key. but they light on the dash goes out after a few seconds and stays off, but there is no spart. Now my daughter diddrive the car the other day and ran over a stick in the road which did pull the back side of the passenger side plastic cover down a little in the rear of the cover (behind the front passenger wheel) does anyone have any clues, and could point me in the right direction. Also I did pull the Positive batter lead for about 3 hours today to clear the codes and they are the same, P0129 and P0633
Old 18 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cranks but no spark

I would suggest checking to see if you have 5 volt reference at the TPS, MAP, CKP, and CMP connectors.
ptprice likes this.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 10:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeefe4 View Post
I bought a 2003 pt cruiser turbo a few months ago for my wife it is our project car. just before I bought the pt the owner (who I know) replaced the turbo a little over a year ago. Just before he sold it to us he replaced the timing belt, water pump, and the pcm (used, but programmed to the car). I know it has a bad map sensor, but it would start and run. a couple of days ago it started ran for a minute or 2 died and started up again. it did this a few times through out the past few days. today it started and ran had the normal cold mis from the MAP sensor. My wife was driving the PT to the store and got about a mile away and it just died. she said it was like someone just turned off the car. it would not start back up. I checked the spark and there was none. I then pulled the codes with the key dance and received the normal codes for the map sensor, but also a new on Po633. I looked this up and it is a skim code for the key. but they light on the dash goes out after a few seconds and stays off, but there is no spart. Now my daughter diddrive the car the other day and ran over a stick in the road which did pull the back side of the passenger side plastic cover down a little in the rear of the cover (behind the front passenger wheel) does anyone have any clues, and could point me in the right direction. Also I did pull the Positive batter lead for about 3 hours today to clear the codes and they are the same, P0129 and P0633
Welcome to the forum

Did you pull the negative battery cable first?

When you get a chance, please go to Welcome New PT Cruiser Members - PT Cruiser Forum and create an intro thread
Old 19 Sep 2017, 08:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

I don't remember which order I pulled the battery cables. But all of this was happening before I did the reset? I am sorry I do't remember. I am being pulled in a million directions. I live in Florida where we just got hit with Irma. Due to a tree this project car became our daily driver, so as you can see I really need as much help as I can get. I am going to check the sensors in a few moments. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking to see if you have 5 volt reference at the TPS, MAP, CKP, and CMP connectors.
Multi-meter set to 200v I get nothing on the outside pins on the plug and a .2 on the center
Old 19 Sep 2017, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

that is on the coil pack plug sorry!
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest at this point you get an OBDII Scan Tool or borrow one and reset the engine trouble codes. We need to make sure we have the current triggered codes.
NitroPT and ptprice like this.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeefe4 View Post
Multi-meter set to 200v I get nothing on the outside pins on the plug and a .2 on the center
The center wire is a ground. It's also the ground for the injectors and a number of other things like the cam sensor. So if the ignition is on, there's likely a tad of backfeed to ground. That's likely the 0.2 volts you are seeing. The other two leads are from the PCM. They should not have current unless the engine is turning.

However, this is not where to be checking for voltage. Instead, check reference voltage on the sensors as indicated earlier. The wiring diagram for these is in Section 8W-30 of the service manual. If you don't have a copy, you can download it from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Also, the P0633 code you got normally only means the PCM has been changed. It usually does not cause a check engine light nor effect operation of the engine. If it did effect it, you would likely get a flashing or constant red SKIM light on the instrument cluster. Many SRT4 Neons, Challengers and Chargers with performance PCM's will have this code when reading with a scanner.

If me, I'd go ahead and inspected the MAP sensors leads closely. If I found no damaged, I'd likely go ahead and replace the MAP sensor now just to eliminate this variable.
ptprice likes this.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Before replacing any sensors as Handy_Cruiser has posted I would suggest you get an OBDII Scan Tool. You need to do a proper diagnostic of your issue before doing anything. Throwing parts at it is a bad idea if the new part is not working properly then you have more problems then what you have now.
NitroPT and ptprice like this.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The center wire is a ground. It's also the ground for the injectors and a number of other things like the cam sensor. So if the ignition is on, there's likely a tad of backfeed to ground. That's likely the 0.2 volts you are seeing. The other two leads are from the PCM. They should not have current unless the engine is turning.

However, this is not where to be checking for voltage. Instead, check reference voltage on the sensors as indicated earlier. The wiring diagram for these is in Section 8W-30 of the service manual. If you don't have a copy, you can download it from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Also, the P0633 code you got normally only means the PCM has been changed. It usually does not cause a check engine light nor effect operation of the engine. If it did effect it, you would likely get a flashing or constant red SKIM light on the instrument cluster. Many SRT4 Neons, Challengers and Chargers with performance PCM's will have this code when reading with a scanner.

If me, I'd go ahead and inspected the MAP sensors leads closely. If I found no damaged, I'd likely go ahead and replace the MAP sensor now just to eliminate this variable.
I am kind of new to the tech tpe of car, just have done 50's and 60's. the pt was running but rough, and all of the sudden died yesterday. Now as I stated the pcm was replaced with a used one but the PT still ran for months without this code. if the pcm was changed but not set to my PT would it still run. and the code was not present when I did have a friend use a scan tool.

I know the MAP is bad because of this scan with the scan tool but could something else be causing these codes and problems?