PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thumping in front end over bumps

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Thumping in front end over bumps

I'd be checking the sway bar bushings. NOT the end links, but the actual bushings where they're attached to the underside of the car. If they're the least bit oval shaped, they'll knock over bumps.
Badglas likes this.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I'd be checking the sway bar bushings. NOT the end links, but the actual bushings where they're attached to the underside of the car. If they're the least bit oval shaped, they'll knock over bumps.
He says whatever is knocking is rotating..

Does it increases with speed, with rpm? happen more/less under load?

Can't you make the kid find it?
Badglas likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:30 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
This. Also lower control arm bushings. Mine were toast as well.
Badglas likes this.
2002 P.T. Cruiser (157k)
Old 21 Sep 2017, 11:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Another vote for bad sway bar bushings. They may look good but the slightest gap will make big noise. Make sure to get the proper size for your sway bar... actually measure the sway bar diameter to ensure getting the proper replacements.
Badglas likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
He says whatever is knocking is rotating..

Does it increases with speed, with rpm? happen more/less under load?

Can't you make the kid find it?
It does increase with speed. Once it starts, it doesn't stop until you get under 10 MPH. The severity decreases as speed decreases. It does it under load and when coasting. Going over a bump seems to set it off more than anything else. It is not constant. It comes and goes. There is no movement in the steering wheel, no shimmy from the wheels; It drives just fine. The "kid" thinks something is binding. The new shaft made a big difference, just not a total cure. I have checked every suspension component. All of it is in good shape. Either I got a bad shaft or the trans axle has a problem.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 21 Sep 2017, 06:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

I appreciate all of the replies. Many of you have suggested sway bar bushings or links. It was the first thing I checked even though the noise is not that type of thumping. The thump is from a rotating source. It increases and decreases with speed. It comes and goes as it pleases. Over bumps seems to be when it most often happens, but the other symptoms rule out the sway bar. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 21 Sep 2017, 06:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

A further thought. My knocking increases or decreases with speed and it is very noticably felt in the steering wheel. It also increases or decreases (almost going away) as the steering wheel is turned left or rignt. Mine is currently up on stands as we speak. The rear bushing is very obviously worn.

RVC

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 22 Sep 2017, 11:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Does it make any difference in the sound if you put the car in neutral instead of drive? Might be trans related or brake related since it's rotational. I'd try rotating the tires first to see if it might move.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. Thomas Jefferson
Charlie
Old 30 Sep 2017, 05:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
Greetings all. For those of you that remember me, I'm not dead yet. The PT has had a thumping under the front end that can be felt in the floor over bumps for a couple weeks. Everything about it made me think it was a bad tulip joint on the driver's side. Had the shaft replaced today and the problem is better (not as frequent), but still does it occasionally. Wheel bearing and all steering components are in good shape. Any ideas on what I might be overlooking?

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm stumped at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Ron
sway bar bushings .. but you need to check out the control arm bushings,pt's are real bad on those, had to replace my control arms and sway bar bushings,all quite now
Old 30 Sep 2017, 10:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

How about the carrier bearing between the passenger side c/v axle and the shaft that comes out of the trans? It mounts to a bracket ( 2 bolts ) that bracket mounts to the block ( 3 bolts ) it's below the alternator and next to the oil filter housing. The 2 bolts were just loose on mine and causing a vibration and a slight thump that I could feel in my foot over certain bumps. Or maybe just a loose control arm bolt on the rear bushing of the control arm, the bolt that's vertical. That bolt is right there on the bottom of the floor board so if it's loose, or that bushing is bad you would definitely feel it in the floor board for sure

Last edited by Silver_Sleeper; 30 Sep 2017 at 11:11 pm.