PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thumping in front end over bumps

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2017, 08:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Thumping in front end over bumps

Greetings all. I wanted to let you know what resolved the thumping problem. On a hunch, I had the alignment checked. The camber was fine, but the toe was way out of whack. After having the toe set, it has not thumped since. I've never encountered toe causing this sort of problem, so I wanted to pass it along.

The outer tie rods were replaced a few weeks before the thumping started. The daughter forgot to have the alignment done after the tie rods were replaced.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 07 Nov 2017, 11:14 am
Young Cruiser

Pt's are real hard on control arm bushings, and also the sway bar bushing could be worn too..
Old 07 Nov 2017, 02:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmoter View Post
Pt's are real hard on control arm bushings, and also the sway bar bushing could be worn too..
just for your own knowledge. The guy us a brilliant mechanic. That's over simplifying. but you wouldn't know that cuz you haven't the pleasure of knowing the man. Not busting on you or anything.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Nov 2017, 10:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Update.....

As it turns out, my previous mechanic who I no longer go to or able to work with in training, could not figure out the issue even after bringing up the bushings. He said they were fine....
took it to my new mechanic I go to now and long and behold the bushings were the issue. They had it up on the lift for 2 minutes before lowering it and coming in to say it was the bushings.. It has since been replaced and no more knocking....at least on the drivers side. Passenger side is now getting it too and it is the same issue on the passenger side now. Will be replacing before winter and getting the car undercoated. Was hoping to have a winter car but recent issues prevented that from happening.
Thank You for all your help.
rckstein and Busted_PT like this.