PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thumping in front end over bumps

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Thumping in front end over bumps

Greetings all. For those of you that remember me, I'm not dead yet. The PT has had a thumping under the front end that can be felt in the floor over bumps for a couple weeks. Everything about it made me think it was a bad tulip joint on the driver's side. Had the shaft replaced today and the problem is better (not as frequent), but still does it occasionally. Wheel bearing and all steering components are in good shape. Any ideas on what I might be overlooking?

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm stumped at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Thumping in front end over bumps

Snapped bolt by the swaybar bushing?

Can you unhook the end links to rule anything sway bar related out?

Just throwing ideas out. More importantly... Hi. Nice to hear from you
Badglas likes this.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

How are you? No broken links or bushings. I cant find anything that's loose or broken. No marks on the floorboards or frame. Everything pointed to a tulip joint, but that didn't cure it. It did help. I'm wondering if it's in the output side of the trans. It feels like something is binding. I can't complain. It's had 40,000 problem free miles put on it since we rescued it 6 years ago.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)

Last edited by Badglas; 20 Sep 2017 at 09:40 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Could it be the A-Arm? Mine's in pretty bad shape and sounds like what you're describing. Hope to replace mine this weekend. Check out the link below, assuming I posted it correctly.

RVC

The "Handy" Control Arm Replacement
MJKnight likes this.

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Snapped bolt by the swaybar bushing?

Can you unhook the end links to rule anything sway bar related out?

Just throwing ideas out. MoreG6 importantly... Hi. Nice to hear from you
Good advice rob. Sounds like those bushings on the bar alright. If you don't find it there maybe rear bushing on control arm. But I really think rob is right on the sway bar.
Good to see you Ron.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Sep 2017, 09:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just had this issue not even 3 weeks ago. And after having the Struts, CV Shafts, Sway Bar and Links, and mounts replaced, My new mechanic and I found the issue. For me it was the Control Arm and Ball Joint. Ball joint was minor but the Bushings on my Control Arm was completely shot and that was the source of my thumping and bumping sounds and feelings. Now the passenger side is doing it ever so slightly so that is being replaced tomorrow when I get home from work. FYI, if this is your issue as well, be sure to get the Control Arm and Ball joint as one piece and not separately. Someone on this forum mentioned RockAuto I believe? Or something?

Also, Reffering to above mentioned comments...... I was also advised to check sway bar links/remove them for testing purposes and where that is a great idea, I did not have to do so because upon putting it on the lift to do that, we noticed the shot bushing and replaced the control arm. After that......Perfection. At least on the drivers side.
Badglas likes this.

Last edited by Vengence; 20 Sep 2017 at 09:57 pm.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 10:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the advice folks. Whatever is causing the noise is rotating. Rob your suggestion was the first thing I checked. It is possible that the control arm bushings are bad, but it's not that type of thump. I'm still in disbelief that the new shaft didn't cure it. Even stranger that it helped lessen the frequency that it occurs. I'll keep hunting it. I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Ron
rob302 likes this.

Old 20 Sep 2017, 10:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could it be in the trans axle. Or telegraphing the noise from the other shaft.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Sep 2017, 10:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Possible to make a audio file or driving video of it and how it sounds?

Things I may thing would be what I mentioned before, Control Arm/Ball Joints, Struts, Sway Bars and Links and Possibly Inner/outer Tie Rod. Possible Rack and Pinion? Are your Motor and Tranny Mounts good?
Badglas likes this.
Old 20 Sep 2017, 10:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Could it be in the trans axle. Or telegraphing the noise from the other shaft.
I think it is most likely coming from the trans axle. I don't think the shaft on the other side could create the vibration I get on the driver's floorboard. There is no vibration on the passenger side.