Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Windshield Washer Pump Location?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Windshield Washer Pump Location?

So the windshield washer pump in my '06 Touring Edition doesn't work, as in not even making a sound. Poked around under the hood and it didn't jump out and bite me in the butt, and not even a word about it in my cheesy Chilton "service" manual. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as finding the darn thing, and any tribal knowledge as far as not having to cough up $35,000 for an OEM replacement?

Thanks.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield Washer Pump Location?

Maybe this will help...

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...BoCY1YQAvD_BwE

windshield washer pump inop

washer does not work
SpaceMouse likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Sep 2017 at 07:34 am.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
So the windshield washer pump in my '06 Touring Edition doesn't work, as in not even making a sound. Poked around under the hood and it didn't jump out and bite me in the butt, and not even a word about it in my cheesy Chilton "service" manual. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as finding the darn thing, and any tribal knowledge as far as not having to cough up $35,000 for an OEM replacement?

Thanks.
It's inside the washer fluid tank beneath the plastic cowling in front of the windshield on the right side. You can see the washer fill cap sticking up there.

They rarely go bad. So if me, I'd use a multi-meter to check for current at the plug when the washer pump is supposed to be engaged. That way I'd know if it's really the washer pump, multi-function switch or something else.

If you find it is indeed the pump, consider a used one from a salvage car. You would just replace in the entire tank and all. To be exact, if you need one I have one I can send you if you pay shipping.

PS: Your 2006 PT likely has a cabin air filter assembly behind the washer tank. But it appears that the good folks at Chrysler didn't put any actual filter elements in them. While replacing the washing pump, it's a great time to add a cabin air filter element at the same time.

rckstein and SpaceMouse like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Sep 2017 at 08:02 am.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 07:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks! Tried using the search tab and got 4,956 hits for water pump replacement threads.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok good responses except the "rarely" going bad. We have replaced several Pt pumps mostly because people let the reservoir run dry which leads to a corrosion build up in the pump itself. The pumps are very cheap through all the internet sellers.

I WOULD NOT recommend a used on, its not worth it!

use this for your search to purchase one:
windshield washer pump pt cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 21 Sep 2017 at 08:14 am.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

They "rarely" go bad by themselves. Having owners do something that makes them go bad doesn't mean the pump isn't a lifelong part no matter how many have to be replaced.

Same goes for the fuel pump in the fuel tank. It's cooled and lubricated by the gas itself. When owners let the tank run dry or almost dry which burns out the pump doesn't make the pump bad.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
They "rarely" go bad by themselves. Having owners do something that makes them go bad doesn't mean the pump isn't a lifelong part no matter how many have to be replaced.

Same goes for the fuel pump in the fuel tank. It's cooled and lubricated by the gas itself. When owners let the tank run dry or almost dry which burns out the pump doesn't make the pump bad.
The failure of in tank pump assemblies varies depending on which state you live in. Unfortunately the different summer/winter blends offered in the gasoline available in states that are concerned with air quality can effect and shorten the life of those fuel pumps.

As for the wiper reservoir pumps failing in general well... I doubt that there is not one auto parts store anywhere that does not at least stock a universal replacement, and warehouse distributors I am pretty sure they are still on the at least the "B" if not "A" of stocked parts?

I personally would not call them a lifetime part?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Sep 2017, 09:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'd try fixing it first. I fixed my aunt's washer pump recently. Free to try

By fix I mean remove, clean, spin a few times by hand
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 10:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post

Thanks.
I sent you a PM with links to electronic copies of the Chrysler Service Manual, Parts Catalog and Owner's Manual, from my Dropbox, they may come in Handy
Old 21 Sep 2017, 11:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
They "rarely" go bad by themselves.
Hmm... Nope. As Nitro stated, demographics plays a big part of longevity of a dc motor. Brushed electric motor and armature are highly susceptible to corrosion depending on area of location.