Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil light started flashing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil light started flashing

I was driving my 2002 PT cruiser limited and it's been running a little rough I was pulling off the freeway and the engine light started flashing light on and off on and off on and off as I got off the exit of the freeway my car died I started it back up drove about half a mile and then it died again and the light was flashing again I checked oil and the level seems fine please help
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil light started flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam0214 View Post
I was driving my 2002 PT cruiser limited and it's been running a little rough I was pulling off the freeway and the engine light started flashing light on and off on and off on and off as I got off the exit of the freeway my car died I started it back up drove about half a mile and then it died again and the light was flashing again I checked oil and the level seems fine please help

Welcome to the forum.

Is it your engine light or your oil pressure light flashing?

First thing I would suggest you do is take the Pt Cruiser to an auto parts store where they can hook up an OBDII Scan Tool to let you know what engine trouble codes you have if your engine light is on and if you don't have a scan tool. Most auto parts stores will do this for free hoping you will buy parts from their store.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 Sep 2017 at 02:31 pm.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 02:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Is it your engine light or your oil pressure light flashing?

First thing I would suggest you do is take the Pt Cruiser to an auto parts store where they can hook up an OBDII Scan Tool to let you know what engine trouble codes you have if your engine light is on and if you don't have a scan tool. Most auto parts stores will do this for free hoping you will buy parts from their store.
Scan Tool?!??!

My first question to the OP is simple. As Steve asked, is it the "engine light" as stated in the body of your post or the "oil light" as stated in the title?

If the car was running rough and either of those lights is flashing, personally, I wouldn't start or run the car without at least checking the usual vitals -
that is a sign to be very careful. Does it have enough oil and coolant? Does the oil smell burnt? Then get the codes checked ASAP (we know what I would do before heading to the parts store, but no need to share that)

The oil light may come out without throwing a code or CEL. Sometimes we get lucky and it is only the oil pressure switch. If it was the actual engine light, there will certainly be a code for them to check.
Old 21 Sep 2017, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Scan Tool?!??!

My first question to the OP is simple. As Steve asked, is it the "engine light" as stated in the body of your post or the "oil light" as stated in the title?

If the car was running rough and either of those lights is flashing, personally, I wouldn't start or run the car without at least checking the usual vitals -
that is a sign to be very careful. Does it have enough oil and coolant? Does the oil smell burnt? Then get the codes checked ASAP (we know what I would do before heading to the parts store, but no need to share that)

The oil light may come out without throwing a code or CEL. Sometimes we get lucky and it is only the oil pressure switch. If it was the actual engine light, there will certainly be a code for them to check.
Just in case you don't have one and would like an OBDII Scan Tool there is a very reasonable store that has it at Harbor Freight. The link is below.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...BDII+Scan+tool
Old 21 Oct 2017, 05:00 pm
Young Cruiser

I think I learned something new this week about my 2005 PT:

The Oil Light comes on when the transmission fluid level drops too low.

Replaced the half-shafts a week earlier and had a seal leak on the passenger side. Pulled the shaft and cleaned off the paint (was a rebuild from Detroit Axle), and still leaked after reinstallation. Each time the level dropped near the end of the stick, the little warning light would come on after warming up.

I think I fixed the leak today with a new seal, so time will tell if it just happened to be coincidence and the oil pressure switch or something else is really the cause.

Thoughts?