Advertisements
Head gasket or something more?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2017, 03:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Head gasket or something more?

My 2001' Cruiser (211k) has been running great, up until last Thursday. I noticed for about the past month that the temperature gauge would occasionally get up near the red. I always shut it off or turned heat and blower on, and it would always come back down. I figured the thermostat was probably sticking shut( or open) so last Thursday I changed the thermostat and put the car back the way it supposed to be. I'm no ASE tech, but have done my fair share of brakes and tune ups. I noticed the top of the PLASTIC radiator casing had a minor crack in it. This must have been recent cause I look for things like that and hadn't noticed it before. AnywAys, I filled the radiator and coolant tank ( with coolant) and proceeded to start the car to take my kids to school. It kinda started rough and acted as though it might stall, but it didn't. Shut it off and checked for codes. I got a P0303 which tells me misfire on cylinder #3. Started it up again and it ran fine. Took kids to school 4 miles away, no problem. Had to run up route 70 about 11 miles and so far, no problems. When Im a mile from my exit, I hear a fast " tap tap tap tap" coming from engine. Sounded like a stuck lifter valve maybe, I thought. Wasn't running hot, I'm anal about watching temp gauge. As I'm coming down the ramp, the car started sputtering and knocking, then shuts off. GREAT I say to myself. Put in Park, turn the key over ( but not crank the motor) and the temperature lights on and pegged on HIGH. Go to crank the engine, nothing but starter whining. It seemed like the flywheel wasn't even turning. Got it to shoulder, sits overnight, neighbor brings me the next day. I start to put water in, and it looks like its running straight out the exhaust ( had a broken exhaust clamp right at the end of the header pipe, and thats were the water was running out). We tow roped it home and I pulled #1 and 4 plugs. Water on the tips. Pulled dipstick and water in the oil. After all of that, my question to someone who knows is if it is the head gasket, or something else? I pistons are still pumping on both cylinders and there's no oil leaking anywhere so I'm hoping the blocks ok?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Stranded in MD
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Head gasket or something more?

You have a bad head gasket for sure. Most likely you will need to check the head for cam rock. The one on the rest side of the head. Pulling off the caps will allow you to see if it will rock by pushing down on both ends. If that is ok. You may only need a valve job and gasket. May as well do the timing belt job if you haven't. 01 & 02 engine's are the only replacement for those years.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As Busted_PT posted above.

If you are not a mechanic this can get to be very expensive depending on how much needs to be done.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Sep 2017 at 10:54 am.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 10:42 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Danny. In addition, you may want to take the head to a machine shop and have it checked for cracks and warping too.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 04:20 pm
Young Cruiser

it's either a head gasket or a cracked or warped head, I would just install a reman head on it,had to do that to mine, paid $375.00 for the head,$25.00 for the new head bolts $ $38.00 for the head set, if you cannot replace a timing belt on a pt,I would not recommend you trying to do a head replacement your self, hard to know if the heads cracked or warped until you remove it and have a cylinder head shop pressure test it
Old 30 Sep 2017, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmoter View Post
it's either a head gasket or a cracked or warped head, I would just install a reman head on it,had to do that to mine, paid $375.00 for the head,$25.00 for the new head bolts $ $38.00 for the head set, if you cannot replace a timing belt on a pt,I would not recommend you trying to do a head replacement your self, hard to know if the heads cracked or warped until you remove it and have a cylinder head shop pressure test it
Where did you buy your new head bolts? and how did you verify the grade of the new head bolts?