Advertisements
Looking for Info on Upgrades

Like Tree20Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2017, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Looking for Info on Upgrades

Hey kinda new to this whole forum thing I have 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible. I ended up purchasing a full exhaust and downpipe for $200 (as seen in pic is not installed as well) I also have an Diablosport Intune i2 looking to make about 400 hp what else do i need? Auto transmission as well not trying to do too much also a safe tune nothing that will make the car blow up asap lol. Seeing if you guys can help. I was told front mount and turbo is that all or do i need more? Thanks who ever answers my post.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Sep 2017 at 10:12 am. Reason: picture was way too big for forum
Old 25 Sep 2017, 04:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Looking for Info on Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTChicago View Post
looking to make about 400 hp w
Realistically
A complete performance built engine with a highly modified ATX

sooooooooo about 4-6k for the engine and the ATX about 3-4.5k

I am not kidding about this either.
Or you might as well plan on carrying a broom, dust pan and AAA card to sweep up the mess when either the engine or trans blows out the bottom of your PT.
rockandroller and dougs like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Sep 2017, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hey kinda new to this whole forum thing I have 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible. I ended up purchasing a full exhaust and downpipe for $200 (as seen in pic is not installed as well) I also have an Diablosport Intune i2 looking to make about 400 hp what else do i need? Auto transmission as well not trying to do too much also a safe tune nothing that will make the car blow up asap lol. Seeing if you guys can help. I was told front mount and turbo is that all or do i need more? Thanks who ever answers my post.
https://i.imgur.com/lhFamTK.jpg
Yep,

As already mentioned, you likely aren't going to get anywhere near 400 hp without spending way more than your PT is worth. You would be better off taking that money as a down payment on a Hemi Charger or Challenger.

First, welcome to the forum. You should go to the new members section and tell us more about yourself and your PT. Once we know what type of PT you have (GT, Turbo Lite, NA, etc..), we can help you a little.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 07:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

400 HP is almost double the stock rating. Like the others said, it is going to be expensive and likely not very reliable at that level. The car originally was rated at around 220 HP. With bolt on mods, primarily Stage 1 pcm (not necessary since you have a DS Intune and the canned 93 tune is almost the same), in theory, you would approach 250hp. With better tuning and supporting mods like exhaust, you would be able to get above 250 and end up somewhere between that and 300. I don't know if the stock trans can even handle 300.

Anyway, if you are serious about putting a built 2.4 in your car, you can visit COX racing's website for info and pricing. He is one of the more recognized builders of this engine. I am sure there are many others.

DCR - Street To Strip
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 07:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you'll also need to keep it emissions compliant if you're actually in/near chicago and don't plan to junk/sell it in two years. i'm near you and this is about half the reason i just decided to build an older car instead.

guys, IMO his trans will be fine. the streets in cook county are so greasy it'll never get it to hook hard enough to break anything. even if it does, PT's and parts are so CHEAP here so a trans every few months is really no biggie.

______

i'd advise you to build something to race and use the PT as a Cruiser. it'll never be fast. if it would, or could for a reasonable price, i'd have one.

Last edited by rob302; 25 Sep 2017 at 07:42 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for answering me. So whats a suitable hp to look for then I was told i get 350 with those 3 things I mentioned he works on SRTs but not too much is he way off or is that about right? thats not even with an upgraded turbo. He told me he can get me to 350 with full exhaust downpipe and front mount I was also told by others that I should invest in a wideband as well. Thanks for answering my questions my PT is a convertible turbo one What can these motors handle without being completely built. I dont want to blow my car up just want to make it alil faster then it is.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Sep 2017 at 10:11 am. Reason: picture was way too big for forum
Old 25 Sep 2017, 08:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You might check out AMS Performance and speak with them. They're likely to pricey, but very helpful for knowledge and realistic advice. They're local. You can sign up on thechicagogarage.com and ask about local SRT4 tuning. You might leave out the PT part and just contact recommended shops and people for advice.

Last edited by rob302; 25 Sep 2017 at 09:51 pm.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 10:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for answering me. So whats a suitable hp to look for then I was told i get 350 with those 3 things I mentioned he works on SRTs but not too much is he way off or is that about right? thats not even with an upgraded turbo. He told me he can get me to 350 with full exhaust downpipe and front mount I was also told by others that I should invest in a wideband as well. Thanks for answering my questions my PT is a convertible turbo one What can these motors handle without being completely built. I dont want to blow my car up just want to make it alil faster then it is.
https://i.imgur.com/JaN47hO.jpg

First, is this a GT or a Touring Edition with the turbo option known as a "Turbo Lite". If it's a Turbo Lite, you're rated at 180 hp and the DS tuner is likely not compatible without a PCM upgrade. Have you tried your DS tuner yet?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 25 Sep 2017 at 10:36 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 12:20 am
Cool Cruiser

By "Front Mount" do you mean an intercooler? because you already have one and a turbo on you're Turbo Lite. Your best and easiest mod is gonna be to get a GT PCM and jump up to 220HP. As for a Down pipe giving you Over 300 HP. Not happening. You could expect just over 250 with bolt ons and a tune to support them. But without Rebuilding the internals you wont push any more. The headgasket blows after too much boost, and the Pistons are cast and will melt if you go too hot and hard.

If you are just looking for faster than the 180 you're rocking now, slap on the catback exhaust for some noise and throw in a GT PCM and you'll be set. My GT is plenty of speed for me...... (for now).
rockandroller likes this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 26 Sep 2017, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

LOL I wonder why we always end up in these threads with all the already available information about this subject on this forum????

.. PLEASE REDUCE YOUR PICTURE SIZE> This forum has about a limit off 800x800 for all around viewing for all devices.

Go get your PT Dyno'd and see where you r starting point is at. I think you may be surprised that you are in for a long uphill start to get the HP you would like.

The question to be answered is what you are ultimately planning to do with your PT?
IF you are actually going to competitively race it or just cruise ? We all like the idea of more horsepower with anything we drive but most of the time it is a pipe dream and the reality is far from the dream.
I would say do the simple mods and get on the Bottle. A 75 shot of Nitrous feels really good and is fairly safe even for a stock ATX.

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Closed Thread