Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Awesome trip to the salvage yard today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2017, 08:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Talking Awesome trip to the salvage yard today!

My luck has been pretty terrible lately, but NOT today.
Had to drive an hour and a half for my mission, but it went great. I found that super rare creature made of unobtanium... the dreaded 03 PT/GT cooling fan for $15!
Also gathered a few other parts, including a rear cargo shelf (correct color) 07 spoiler (correct color) rear wiper motor. Great prices, so I ran away spending $65.
Now if i could just find a template for the spoiler...of course they decided the 03 didnt need the spots pre-marked. lol
None of this info helps anyone, but Im just that happy about how my day went.
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl
plus a long list of vehicular toys
Old 25 Sep 2017, 09:00 pm
Banned

Default Re: Awesome trip to the salvage yard today!

For the spoiler template, see post #9 of this thread:

PT cruiser Hatch spoiler install help needed

He was last on the forum just last month. He might still have the template that he can fax or email to you.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 09:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Wow, that was pretty specific. Thanks. Usually dont see references like that. lol
Worst case, i have to do like most posts say and just wing it, but I've been searching just in the hope I can find a template somewhere. I dont know when the next time he'll be on, so I dont mind doing it the hard way if i have to. Its just a little nerve wracking putting a sharp spinning piece of steel on your nice paint and pulling the trigger.
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl
Old 26 Sep 2017, 12:27 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah440 View Post
Wow, that was pretty specific. Thanks. Usually dont see references like that. lol
Worst case, i have to do like most posts say and just wing it, but I've been searching just in the hope I can find a template somewhere. I dont know when the next time he'll be on, so I dont mind doing it the hard way if i have to. Its just a little nerve wracking putting a sharp spinning piece of steel on your nice paint and pulling the trigger.
Send that member a PM.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 07:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

That template is really needed too. Some of the original holes are slotted. Because of the angle the studs on the spoiler go through the curved surface of the hatch, those slotted holes are necessary or the studs will bind.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 11:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep.

That template is really needed too. Some of the original holes are slotted. Because of the angle the studs on the spoiler go through the curved surface of the hatch, those slotted holes are necessary or the studs will bind.
Here's the template you made:

Rear Spoiler Wing Bolt Pattern Template? - HELP
Old 26 Sep 2017, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I made that from rubbing a piece of paper over some original holes on a hatch. But it didn't work out that well. In that thread where I posted the template, I said I'd do a final write up but I never did.

In the end I made another template based on measurements. If I can find the photos I will post them. But I do remember that the slots are very important. When I first drilled the holes, I didn't slot them and the studs wouldn't go through the holes. The studs have to go into the holes at a slight angle that not is not perpendicular to the hatch surface which is curved. So I had go back, remeasure the originals and slot the holes. I guess I could have just made the holes bigger, but I wanted it as close to original as possible.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 01:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Yep. I just realized I kind of have what i need to make a template... the spoiler itself. So i guess I can make a template from the spoiler use some math to place it, then trial and error to figure out the slots.
Its funny that I can grab a grinder and attack internal engine parts without hesitation, but anything to do with scratching the paint makes me cringe. lol
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl
Old 26 Sep 2017, 06:11 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah440 View Post
Yep. I just realized I kind of have what i need to make a template... the spoiler itself. So i guess I can make a template from the spoiler use some math to place it, then trial and error to figure out the slots.
Its funny that I can grab a grinder and attack internal engine parts without hesitation, but anything to do with scratching the paint makes me cringe. lol
This is what the spoiler mounting slots look like on my PT. Mine has the low profile spoiler that's why there is only 1 mounting hole being used.

I can take measurements off mine, if it will help you?

Too bad you didn't make a template off the PT the spoiler came from.

(drivers side)
Old 26 Sep 2017, 06:19 pm
Young Cruiser

I really thought about scratching out a template at the yard, but I figured there would be templates scattered all over the internet. Had i known...lol
If its not too much trouble, a couple measurements would be awesome to at least get me in the neighborhood.
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl