PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 pt cruiser help please

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2017, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 pt cruiser help please

Car was running rough pulled codes had cam sensor crank sensor p0300 and map sensor. Replaced all sensors. Found valve cover leaking into spark plug wells. Replaced valve cover plugs wires and all sensors mentioned above start car runs fine under 2200rpm and I still have a crank sensor code so replace crank sensor with a dealer sensor any other help please
Old 27 Sep 2017, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 pt cruiser help please

You could have a fuel injector or a intake leak.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Sep 2017, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What PXXXX Crankshaft code are you triggering?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboridesthefa View Post
Car was running rough pulled codes had cam sensor crank sensor p0300 and map sensor. Replaced all sensors. Found valve cover leaking into spark plug wells. Replaced valve cover plugs wires and all sensors mentioned above start car runs fine under 2200rpm and I still have a crank sensor code so replace crank sensor with a dealer sensor any other help please
Welcome to the forum.

What year model is your PT, how many miles are on it, and has the timing belt ever been changed? And if the timing belt has been changed, how long ago? Also, did you clear the codes before you tried it out this last time?

When others report these three codes together, it's often because the timing belt has slipped and jumped time. The other most common cause is damaged wiring.

If me, I'd first inspect really well for damaged wiring because that's easy. If your PT is a 2001/2002, it's common for the leads going to the crank sensor to rub the right CV shaft and get damaged.

If no joy and if the timing belt has not been changed in the last 100,000 miles or so, remove the top dust cover from over the timing sprockets on the right side of the engine. Then removed #1 cyl spark plug and turn the engine to get that piston all the way up on the compression stroke. Then check the timing marks on the sprockets. Chances are that one of them (likely the intake cam sprocket) is a tooth or more off.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Sep 2017 at 09:23 pm.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Welcome to the forum.

What year model is your PT, how many miles are on it, and has the timing belt ever been changed? And if the timing belt has been changed, how long ago?

When others report these three codes together, it's often because the timing belt has slipped and jumped time. The other most common cause is damaged wiring.

If me, I'd first inspect really well for damaged wiring because that's easy. If your PT is a 2001/2002, it's common for the leads going to the crank sensor to rub the right CV shaft and get damaged.

If no joy and if the timing belt has not been changed in the last 100,000 miles or so, remove the top dust cover from over the timing sprockets on the right side of the engine. Then removed #1 cyl spark plug and turn the engine to get that piston all the way up on the compression stroke. Then check the timing marks on the sprockets. Chances are that one of them (likely the intake cam sprocket) is a tooth or more off.

It should be noted that while I am an ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech and an excellent lover, I primarily work as a Safety Engineer among other things and I haven't worked as a professional mechanic since I was young strapping lad with long sexy flowing hair before college. And even then, I mainly worked on big trucks and heavy equipment. Nowadays, I enjoy working on these funny looking little cars for fun and relaxation. And I help others when I can.
Handy_Cruiser, you can answer what year the Pt Cruiser is by reading the title of the thread. How about doing a full diagnosis before you start telling a member to think about replacing timing belt?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Sep 2017 at 09:30 pm.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
HANDY_Cruiser, you can answer what year the Pt Cruiser is by reading the title of the thread.
No Steve. My wife make think I walk on water, but it ain't so and I can't read minds. I just have her bluffed.

The year model was the fist question I asked.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
No Steve. My wife make think I walk on water, but it ain't so and I can't read minds. I just have her bluffed.

The year model was the fist question I asked.
Handy_Cruiser, I think you need to read the title of the thread. That will tell you what year the Pt Cruiser is.
ptprice likes this.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 01:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I got To tell you guy's ....
Like were your going with this thread Keep it up.
I'm all in......"Who's on first"
...............W.....
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

If you answered “yes” then parts car is a really good idea.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Handy_Cruiser, I think you need to read the title of the thread. That will tell you what year the Pt Cruiser is.
You be right, there Steve. No mind reading required. I could say that the little screen I was on at the time was cutting off the "05". But it's just as likely I'd been up since 4:00 am and my eyes were cutting off the "05". I'm going to blame the screen but I think we all know better.

Ultimately my sweetie still thinks I walk on water and my recommendations still stand. But I appreciate you keeping me straight.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Sep 2017 at 09:22 am.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 10:24 am
Senior Cruiser

@Handy, you think jumping time is common? I have not heard of many cars with belts jumping time. They usually either work or don't. I remember more issues with stretched/slack chains on older cars. With the belts once they are worn enough to slip a tooth, I think they are usually non-op.

I have heard of plenty of guys changing the belt and putting them together a tooth off. Happened to me the first time they changed the belt on a 2.2.

My first guess was wiring.