PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt Gas milage

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2017, 08:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Pt Gas milage

What's an acceptable gas mileage around town for a PT Cruiser with the 2.4 DOHC SMPI engine and four speed auto.

In my last four fuel fill ups for SOOO BIG I read 14.66, 14.94,15.15 and 14.40MPG. Admittedly this involves a lot of short runs, waiting at stop lights and I usually have the AC on. All, I realize, doesn't contribute to fuel mileage. SOOO BIG gets a decent mid 20's on the interstate so maybe I should be satisfied with this.

I just thought to do a shout out to see if this is the norm of if there's any way I can improve this without breaking the bank? I'm sure other PTer's would like to have this quantified also. All input gratefully accepted.

Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 09:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Gas milage

unless you're talking about taking only 1 mile trips in rush hour traffic, and assuming you're actually measuring and dividing gallons and miles, i'd say you have an issue.

IMO maybe you just need to floor it sometimes to keep things cleaned out? or do you?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 09:53 am
Cool Cruiser

well my mix of city and highway everyday i get between 19 and 21.. if i kept it to all city i know i would def get worse.. but yours seems a lil extra low..
Old 28 Sep 2017, 10:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Put me in the "that's too low" camp. For a tankful I could see it, lots of idling etc, but not four. I don't think I ever got below 17 for a full tank with mine. Mine is a turbo 5 speed and I tend to use some hyper-mile techniques - coasting to lights, etc. I also wouldn't imagine "city" traffic in Ormond Beach, Florida is anything like what I see in NY and DC. Do you spend a ton of time sitting in it standing still staying cool in the a/c? My wife does that, and I can watch her little mpg gauge drop, ugh.

Tire pressure low? How is the tune? FWIW, I was still getting better than 24 even with an injector port blocked by a blown out intake gasket and a P304 code, but that was mostly highway.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

City: 17 MPG is pretty normal for my situation and driving habits.

Lately I have been getting 14 as well, I suspect it's the gas companies tinkering with the seasonal formulation ( Introducing winter gas too early?)
Fk5, NitroPT, ptprice and 1 others like this.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 10:51 am
Cool Cruiser

My gas mileage typically will drop about 1-2 mpg when they start introducing the winter blend here in Massachusetts. I'm probably around this

Winter blend
17 mpg city
22 highway

Summer
19 mpg city
24+ highway
Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit, Zapco Z400-C4SL competition amplifier, 2 RF P2D2 12's, RF P1T-S Tweets, RF PPS4-6 Mids, RF 6x8"s, AudioControl 24XS crossover/line driver

Newest Car
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.4L 6 speed auto 76k
Powerstop Z23 evolution front brakes
Sound System
Pioneer DEH-X9600BT head unit, Bē Rage 1200.6 Amp, 4 JBL GX963 6x9's, 2 Skar VVX3-12's. 6 Channel AudioControl Matrix Plus Line Driver

#LoudLife

Both powered by Mobil1
Old 28 Sep 2017, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've averaged 22 mpg in all three of my PT's. And of course, all got less for just in town driving. However, one factor for me may have been the quality of the gasoline. I've primarily ran Valero 93 octane fuel in my current Vert and previous GT. And even for my 2001 Limited, I often ran 89 octane. At least where I live, these premium fuels have either no or much less alcohol in them. Plus, there's not much difference in summer and winter fuel here either.

It could well be that some of the members reporting low fuel mileage are simply running lower quality fuel. My wife's last two cars were Chrysler 300's with the 300 hp Pentastar V6 engines. While these things ran great on pure 87 octane gas, there was a noticeable difference with the standard ethanol gas mix. And the fuel mileage would decrease as much as 5 mpg. While not as consistent, some PT's may suffer something similar on low quality high-ethanol fuel.

Just something to think about.
Carnut likes this.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I recomend the use of Chevron fuels.
I recomend using additives that have some Jet fuel in their ingredients.
I recomend those that have calibration devices (Diablo Sport) do some adjusting to make up for poor quality or fuels that have been seasonally adjusted.
Check your tires air pressure and experiment with increasing the psi.
An ignition tune up will also help to improve MPG.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Sep 2017, 01:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It might be the current fuel we're getting here. When ever I get on I-95 and blow the snot out of SOOO BIG I get a higher MPG on the next fill up. Lately I've been using city streets to go north or south in Ormond and Daytona instead of hitting I-95. Just lazy I guess.That could be the common denominater. It is a lot more fun at 75 or 80 or higher on I-95 than 25 in stop and go traffic in the city. But it can be out of the way. I always fill up at the same Shell station. I arrive at the MPG figure by dividing gallons pumped into miles driven. I run tire pressure at 35 PSI, check 'em regularly. Plugs, wires and timing were all done lately. And of course I just reinstalled that "high performance", "cut down" front valance on SOOO BIG. Surely that should be good for a few more MPG!!

I do remember pumping in some fuel at a local Murphy station a while ago and was beset with sputtering and low MPG. I'm sure there was a lot more than 10% alcohol added to that crap. That "Up to 10%" wasn't posted on the pump. I should have know better. SOOO BIG had to gargle for weeks before I ran that junk out of the tank.

Maybe I'll try some of that Kickapoo joy juice that has JP4 in it. Couldn't hurt I guess. I meandered over to AutoZone and checked out the offerings for "fuel injection "cleaner" with JP4 in it. Maybe goosing up the fuel with a shot of that in a tank might help. I was ready to plunk down some dollars and get a bottle when I notice there must be five or six offerings of this elixir. I figured that stuff'd be cheaper. In just the STP brand they ranged from a low of $4.99 to $9.99 and higher. Maybe Walmart is cheaper. The only difference I could see was the adjective count on the bottle. Words like "Super, Ultra, and Concentrated". Some bottles were red, some white, some black. All had the JP4. If it might work, please advise the best for the buck and I'll pour some in SOOO BIG's tank.
Thanks, Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 28 Sep 2017 at 01:49 pm.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: Pt Gas milage

Yeah, I am curious too if there is any fuel additive worth using. (Don't care about gas mileage, but if there actually is something that makes the car happier then I am all for it!)

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's all just SNAKE-OIL. Anyone know better?

PS: I am already running Chevron 94 Octane with 0% ethanol...
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by rockandroller; 28 Sep 2017 at 05:48 pm.