Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Have to replace motor mounts. Cost?

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Sep 2017, 03:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Have to replace motor mounts. Cost?

Looks like my motor mounts need replacing.
I was hoping to do it myself, but I just don't have the time because of all of the overtime I'm doing at work.

Any idea how much time a shop should charge to replace all three?

Also, any chance of getting away with just replacing the front two as it's my undertanding that third one is buried behind the motor.

Thanks.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 06:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Have to replace motor mounts. Cost?

A COMPETENT shop should be able to replace both the upper and lower in an hours time, Kon. As for cost, I guess it's just whatever they charge per hour and the costs of the mounts. I guess you haven't made the move to Albuquerque yet, huh?
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 06:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
A COMPETENT shop should be able to replace both the upper and lower in an hours time, Kon. As for cost, I guess it's just whatever they charge per hour and the costs of the mounts. I guess you haven't made the move to Albuquerque yet, huh?
Hiya Chuzz!

When you say upper and lower does that mean the two closest to the front of the car, and not the third that sits behind the motor?
So I guess it's ok to just change those two?

My mechanic is awesome. Just an hours labor plus parts shouldn't be so bad.

I just reposted about my move in the other thread. My job screwed up and a week before I was supposed to leave told me they made a mistake and I can't leave till end of January. I just hope there are still openings at the NM facility by then.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 09:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Do it yourself. ..just replace the top and bottom ones, they are a piece of cake. ..this forum has very good instructions on how to do it along with making sure that you get the motor in the correct alignment. Or watch a couple you tube videos on the Mount replacement /alignment. Or, just watch a video or two first so you can get an idea of what the job involves and then decide whether or not to take it to a shop. If I'm remembering right it's just a 15mm, and 18mm wrench for the bolts, and you will also need a tape measure and a jack
Gkon likes this.
Old 01 Oct 2017, 01:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Sleeper View Post
Do it yourself. ..just replace the top and bottom ones, they are a piece of cake. ..this forum has very good instructions on how to do it along with making sure that you get the motor in the correct alignment. Or watch a couple you tube videos on the Mount replacement /alignment. Or, just watch a video or two first so you can get an idea of what the job involves and then decide whether or not to take it to a shop. If I'm remembering right it's just a 15mm, and 18mm wrench for the bolts, and you will also need a tape measure and a jack
I'm sure can do it myself but, like I said in my original posting, I don't have the time right now, I just worked 17 days straight, 14 of those being 12 hour days, and the rest 10 hour days. I'd rather sleep than change them.
Old 01 Oct 2017, 07:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

^^^^ And you made enough coins to do that, Kon. Yeah, I'm talking about just the two on the passenger side that are easily accessible. I wouldn't consider the center mount unless it's obviously broken. The best time to replace that one is when the timing belt/water pump job is being done. And if you do all that, you won't have any coins left!
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 01 Oct 2017, 08:18 am
Cool Cruiser

First, why do you say that you have to replace the motor mounts? What are the symptoms?

There are two motor mounts and two torque struts. One motor mount is at the front of the engine on the passenger side (the bitch mount) and the other is at the transmission on the driver's side.
The torque struts limit how far the power train can rotate and it is important that they be adjusted correctly or you will have NVH issues.

If you are just talking about changing the torque struts, they are cheap and super easy to change. Any shop that charges you more than an hour of labor for that job is taking you for a ride.
Speaking of labor, I hope you get paid by the hour at your job, as you are working so much lately.
Gkon likes this.
Old 01 Oct 2017, 11:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Not the most accurate estimator, but it will help ease sticker shock when you go in for an estimate:

Repairpal

I don't use the services, but when someone asks how much it would cost to fix XXXX, I look it up and tell them. From what I've heard, even if they went somewhere else, the cost was in the same ballpark.

This gives me great satisfaction because when I do the job myself, I tell my wife how much I saved which justifies me buying any cool new tool (if I need it) to do the job.

BTW, upper and lower torque struts cost $10 each and can be replaced in about 20 minutes. You can tell if they are bad by having someone rev the engine while you watch it with the hood up. If they are bad, the engine will rock back and forth a lot.

This video shows the rocking at about 4:40
Gkon likes this.
Old 01 Oct 2017, 01:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
^^^^ And you made enough coins to do that, Kon. Yeah, I'm talking about just the two on the passenger side that are easily accessible. I wouldn't consider the center mount unless it's obviously broken. The best time to replace that one is when the timing belt/water pump job is being done. And if you do all that, you won't have any coins left!
Cool. Thanks for the tip.

All that coin I've been saving is for a down payment on a house when I get to NM so, yeah, I'd rather not spend it all on the car.
Old 01 Oct 2017, 01:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
First, why do you say that you have to replace the motor mounts? What are the symptoms?

There are two motor mounts and two torque struts. One motor mount is at the front of the engine on the passenger side (the bitch mount) and the other is at the transmission on the driver's side.
The torque struts limit how far the power train can rotate and it is important that they be adjusted correctly or you will have NVH issues.

If you are just talking about changing the torque struts, they are cheap and super easy to change. Any shop that charges you more than an hour of labor for that job is taking you for a ride.
Speaking of labor, I hope you get paid by the hour at your job, as you are working so much lately.
Thanks for the info.
The main "symptom" is that I visually saw the one located in the passenger side is torn.

I'll look into the torque struts, too. Thanks.

I definitely DO get paid by the hour! A ton of that OT was double time and the rest was time and a half. I'm saving for a down payment on a house, so although I'm tired, I do have a goal and the finish line is close by!
Fk5 likes this.