Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gkon
  • 1 Post By Al2eKen
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2017, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Newby totally baffled

Two weeks ago bought my wife a 2002 PT Cruiser.
First, the starter motor locked up. That was simple to diagnose. I have had numerous MOPARs since 1968, so it was simple.
Two days ago I let the car sit idling. (Big mistake!)
Then I drove up the drive to the house and it spewed antifreeze like Old Faithful.
When I lifted the hood expecting a blown heater or radiator hose or just the cap overflowing, nope.
A strange device that I have never seen before!
Two days of searching online and I still havenít found anything about it. No pictures, nothing.
So I photographed it.
But I canít get it from my phone to this forum!
A silver metal cylinder tank with a metal pipe in the top and an electrical sensor in the top. It sits behind the engine passenger side. Spews antifreeze.
What is it? How do I fix it?
Old 02 Oct 2017, 09:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Newby totally baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al2eKen View Post
Two weeks ago bought my wife a 2002 PT Cruiser.
First, the starter motor locked up. That was simple to diagnose. I have had numerous MOPARs since 1968, so it was simple.
Two days ago I let the car sit idling. (Big mistake!)
Then I drove up the drive to the house and it spewed antifreeze like Old Faithful.
When I lifted the hood expecting a blown heater or radiator hose or just the cap overflowing, nope.
A strange device that I have never seen before!
Two days of searching online and I still havenít found anything about it. No pictures, nothing.
So I photographed it.
But I canít get it from my phone to this forum!
A silver metal cylinder tank with a metal pipe in the top and an electrical sensor in the top. It sits behind the engine passenger side. Spews antifreeze.
What is it? How do I fix it?
That actually sounds like the a.c. separator. Has nothing to do with antifreeze. Although just near it on the firewall is the coolant overflow tank.
oldthom likes this.
Old 02 Oct 2017, 10:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the hint. It may very well be what you say, but it was spewing antifreeze.
Yes, the overflow tank is more towards the driverís side st the firewall.
I expected the spewing from there, a damaged hose, or weak cap. But such was not the case. There are pipe wrench scrapes on one pipe into that tank. Perhaps I am chasing the last ownerís mischief...
I will post as I know more.
Ken
Gkon likes this.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 01:55 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It's the AC seperator - or you have a very shiny thermostat housing. The AC sep has TWO pipes and a switch with a wire off it.

The AC cant spout antifreeze, unless the AC part of the radiator has by some freak or other become joined to the cooling system part of the rad.

It's a vague possibility, I suppose...

Dropping the radiator out, changing the thermostat and checking the thermostat housing cap (aka the radiator cap) for a crappy looking seal seem like sensible first steps. That way you'll cover most overheating problems, and be able to work out if your radiator is totally ferked and bypassing

Checking that the low speed fan works is obviously next on your list.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 02:07 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Wrong engine, but you can see the AC sep hiding behind the dipstick in this pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170903_122425.jpg (102.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 03 Oct 2017, 09:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Spews anti-freeze from where exactly? The top, the bottom, the pipe, or somewhere else? I side with those who think you are describing a part of the a/c system that shouldn't have any anti-freeze in it at all, so maybe nailing down a more exact location of the leak will help suss things out.
Old 03 Oct 2017, 10:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Welcome to the forum Al2eKen,
It would help to put your location in your profile. If anyone on this forum lives near you, you might be able to glean a wealth of information on this car from them.

Dollars to donuts your fan is not working. One of the most common failure points on this car is the brushes on the fan motor wearing out. Often it's the low speed brushes and that's the speed that should keep the engine cool while it's idling.

The good news is that a new fan costs about $100 and takes less than 1/2 hour to replace. There are lots of Youtube videos on how to replace it. There are just 6 bolts holding it in along with the wiring harness connector, but to get to it, it's easiest to remove the grill, grill bracket and disconnect the top radiator hose.

First of all, make sure it is bad before replacing it. No need to replace something unless you know it's bad.
JDK52 likes this.

Tags
spews antifreeze, unknown part