PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Factory Radio vs. Aftermarket

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2017, 09:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Factory Radio vs. Aftermarket

From my experience, a factory radio is always superior in sound then an aftermarket radio. I am not talking about the 70' crappy AM radios. Since the late 80' GM and Chrysler make pretty decent car radios. Agreed, they are bit slow to adapt the newest gadgets but sound wise they are very good. I am ditching the Kenwood radio installed by previous owner for a factory radio. I do not need Ipod or USB inputs just good sounding, easy to operate FM Stereo radio. The Kenwood radio was so annoying, bright blinding scrolling messages at night, tiny push buttons you could not see and memorize. It took me 15 min. to find the on/off button. One can program the messages away until you disconnect the battery then they are back. Anyway, Chrysler factory radios are not cheap on Ebay, $70-90. Will get one from local YJ
Old 07 Oct 2017, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Factory Radio vs. Aftermarket

If you still have the 2001 PT, you will need to pull the factory oval-face stereo from a 2001 PT or another 1999 thru 2001 Mopar. The plugs were changed in 2002 and the later stereos will not work unless you buy the adapters. You can get them on Amazon, eBay and many places that sell car stereo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-wir...ZSXUqc&vxp=mtr

wingman55 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Oct 2017 at 10:35 am.
Old 07 Oct 2017, 11:38 am
Cool Cruiser

The major point of the aftermarket radios is to up the output wattage. Stock radios usually put out less than 10w to the speakers. Aftermarket head units put out much more, and so the sound quality, speakers that can be driven, and sound range is much better. Mine puts out 40W because of a built in amp, and The sound quality is much better than stock. I also have speakers that actually can use 40w effectively. The USB and Aux are also nice, bluetooth is great for phone calls, because it automatically mutes the radio when my phone rings and is on a phone call, even if I don't use the headunit as the speakers and input.

yes the lights and sounds are annoying, but thats something you have to learn how to change and set up (I duno why your battery is unplugged so often that it's an issue). You should be able to read the model on the face and google the instruction pamphlet that would have a list of ever option and command through the menus to make changing it easier. I have mine downloaded to my phone in case I ever need to find a setting.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 08 Oct 2017, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have rarely found factory head units to produce as good a sound quality as many carefully chosen for replacement aftermarket replacements. I think that comments pertaining to sound quality are personal preferences. Audiophile are more sensitive to sound quality and demand a better listening environment. Often times selling stereo equipment to customers is a test of patients and understanding that most are generally ...well just * tone deaf!

Head units replacement in a PT Cruiser are the open book of most everything available in standard chassis sizes all the way dating back to the 70"s or older. Remember KRACO? So it would stand to reason that you can both get a "turd" or a GEM replacement head unit that can either improve or just make worse the sound quality of a stock PT Cruiser sound system.

How to tell if someone has the audio music ear of a ROCK.
The treble is set to max
The bass is set to max
The LOUD button is on
The equalizer is adjusted a V-pattern
The exterior body parts rattle
All the sound coming out the front speakers
An un-noticed blown speaker
Replacement "bigger" speakers that are under powered and clip

I bet a few of you all could add to this list as well?

*tone-deaf
ˈtōn ˌdef/Submit
adjective
(of a person) unable to perceive differences of musical pitch accurately.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Oct 2017 at 10:39 am.
Old 08 Oct 2017, 11:35 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT
I have rarely found factory head units to produce as good a sound quality as many carefully chosen for replacement aftermarket replacements. I think that comments pertaining to sound quality are personal preferences. Audiophile are more sensitive to sound quality and demand a better listening environment. Often times selling stereo equipment to customers is a test of patients and understanding that most are generally ...well just * tone deaf!
One of the cars I owned was a Neon. The sound of its factory radio, specifically the bass was amazing. My daughter, who I gave the car, installed an aftermarket radio hoping to improve sound quality. Nope, she switched back to the original.
Today is even harder to replace the factory radio, its all integrated with a large central screen, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB etc.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 08 Oct 2017, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would have to say it was a poor choice in head unit replacement.

There are challenges sometimes but nothing is yet impossible even with BOSE or Harman Kardon system to improve components if one knows what they are doing.

In the end as an installer even when you take the time and effort to correct for sound displacement, frequency, sound levels, etc., the customers will still re-adjust everything to their personal taste and complain about the sound.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Oct 2017 at 11:40 am.
Old 08 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's what I believe are the advantages and disadvantages of a factory Stereo.

DISCLAIMER: If in a fairly new Mopar, the options and sound of the factory system far superior to what's in the aftermarket unless you are willing to spend several thousand dollars. FCA has recently upped their game even more. The new FCA factory stereo equipment is state of the art. Imagine a car that automatically bypasses the mufflers and turns up the stereo volume at the same time when you hit the gas hard. BUT specific to PT Cruisers, this ain't going to be the case. The factory system can sound very good with 2001 Premium door speakers and the Mopar subwoofer. But it's not going to hold a candle to even the affordable aftermarket stuff. Technology has a come a long way in the last ten or more years.

Here's some advantages to the PT Cruiser factory stereo systems no matter the year:

1. Ease of use - The factory stereo heads used in the PT Cruiser are very easy to operate.

2. Decent sound - With the early premium speakers and subwoofer, the factory system can be well-balanced and sound good enough even for a music lover or musician, but not likely for a self-described audiophile.

3. Cheap - $30 at salvage yards. Premium speakers for $5 each and a new Mopar sub for around $100 or less if you catch one on the right eBay auction.

4. Durable - The factory stereos used in most PT Cruisers seem to hold up well to the elements. They are fairly worry-free and easy to replace.

5. Safe from theft - Very few thieves would be interested in a stock stereo in a 1st or 2nd Gen PT Cruiser. You can park your PT in a public place with the windows down, top down, all unlocked and not worry about the stereo being gone when you get back. But once you install a nice quality aftermarket stereo in a PT Cruiser, you will now need to roll up your windows and lock your doors. There's an old saying that our material belongings imprison us. And putting a nice stereo in an old car is a perfect example of this.

Here's what I believe are some disadvantage to the PT Cruiser factory stereo systems:

1. Medium Quality Sound - As per the disclaimer, the factory stereo systems can sound good but will likely not be up to audiophile standards.

2. Hard to Upgrade - There were upgrades available for the PT Cruiser factory systems. There are satellite receivers, mp3 aux inputs, outboard CD changers, factory amps, the Mopar subwoofer, steering wheel controls, and even hands-free cell phone calling. However, finding and piecing together some of these accessories can be very difficult. Most of it is no longer available new and (with the exception of the sub) may be very expensive. Salvage from other non-PT cars is often the best choice. But often that means modifying the wiring harness and mix and matching components from several cars. I've done some of this on all three PT's I've owned. And while very fun, it's not that easy.

3. Limited Features - Today I can buy an aftermarket stereo head for under $100 that has many more features than the nicest factory stereo ever made to fit in any PT Cruiser. With the exception of the antiquated CD changer and nav, all the other options mentioned above come standard on many aftermarket stereos today. Aftermarket stereos often pair with multiple cell phones automatically, have auto-updating navigation and many other things the PT factory stereos never had.

In summary, there's no right or wrong answer to the factory radio vs. an aftermarket system. Both have advantages and disadvantages and there are many beyond what I've listed here. Folks should really do what serves them best.
podo2000 and wingman55 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Oct 2017 at 12:57 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2017, 01:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

Head units replacement in a PT Cruiser are the open book of most everything available in standard chassis sizes all the way dating back to the 70"s or older. Remember KRACO? So it would stand to reason that you can both get a "turd" or a GEM replacement head unit that can either improve or just make worse the sound quality of a stock PT Cruiser sound system.

How to tell if someone has the audio music ear of a ROCK.
The treble is set to max
The bass is set to max
The LOUD button is on
The equalizer is adjusted a V-pattern
The exterior body parts rattle
All the sound coming out the front speakers
An un-noticed blown speaker
Replacement "bigger" speakers that are under powered and clip

I bet a few of you all could add to this list as well?

*tone-deaf
ˈtōn ˌdef/Submit
adjective
(of a person) unable to perceive differences of musical pitch accurately.
Yup! Put me on that list. LOL
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 08 Oct 2017, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup!
Some boosting, lol..... and also to show a little experience on the subject of Audio Car sound upgrading.
Here is one of my many and better sound system long before there were all the stereo competitions. This was in 1982. The system has 36 speakers of which you could only phiscally see 4, only 2 of which were the 2 DYN Audio subs and several amps and other audio control devises.
I have pictures of many other car and truck stereo projects from around 1974 to present but this was one of the oldest and first completely design custom system I did.

Better read and look fast because when I post these kinds of responses they get often deleted fast because members complain

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171008_110704_resize.jpg (35.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20171008_110712_resize.jpg (42.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Oct 2017 at 01:18 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2017, 04:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Heh, heh, I am old hard of hearing and listen to Country Music.

This is all I need in both my PT's.

OEM sounds great to me.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project